Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

clear coat

+3
smitty
Fish Stick Lures
jkrodnrigs
7 posters

Go down

clear coat Empty clear coat

Post  jkrodnrigs 9/14/2009, 9:14 pm

I am new to sbo and I have to say there is a lot of good things to read and learn.
My question is what do most of you use for your clear coat or top coat all your plugs look to good to fish.

jkrodnrigs
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

clear coat Empty Re: clear coat

Post  Fish Stick Lures 9/14/2009, 9:23 pm

I use Etex stuff works real well for me. But there are others out there. Just to name a few Devcon 30 min System three,West system.

Fish Stick Lures

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 9/14/2009, 9:34 pm

yup the top 3 are the ones Fish Stick just said....

if you only do one or two at a time i would go with the devcon 30 min if you plan on doing a run of plug i would say the etex is the way to go since it takes longer before it starts to set up.

hope this helps... Very Happy
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

clear coat Empty There's a new kid on the block.

Post  Husky 9/15/2009, 12:48 pm

Check Super Clear 9000 or EC 9300. Water based, 2 hr recoat, Dip application 96 hrs for max cure.http://www.targetcoatings.com/shop/catalog/EMTECH_9300_Urethane_Top_Coat-8-1.html

They've been tested for over a year now.
Husky
Husky

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  whittler 9/15/2009, 6:34 pm

Husky, have you used the EC 9000 personally. I have been reading a lot about the stuff but I just do not trust the judgement of a few of the guys talking the most. I do however take your opinion seriously.
whittler
whittler

Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  kingfishking 9/15/2009, 7:38 pm

i use rustoleum crystal clear enamel it works fine for me. You can get it cheap at walmart in a spray paint can just make sure you get the clear one and not a colored one or you can really mess up lol.
kingfishking
kingfishking
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 458

http://www.mtlmfg.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jkrodnrigs 9/15/2009, 8:13 pm

Thanks I have been using the spray can clear coat but was looking for something more durable.

where can I get etex and is the devcon the 30 min epoxy if its the epoxy do you dip your plug or brush it on.
Husky I will be checking both of them out thanks all for the info.

jkrodnrigs
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post  Husky 9/15/2009, 9:46 pm

whittler wrote:Husky, have you used the EC 9000 personally. I have been reading a lot about the stuff but I just do not trust the judgement of a few of the guys talking the most. I do however take your opinion seriously.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yes, I've use it for a while. JMHO, it works great BUT, prefers being used over well dried water based paints. A West Coast semi pro builder has had it in the field for 9 mos now, and has had zero problems.
It doesn't adhere well to metallic paints or foil.
2 Hr recoat via dipping, no rotation needed.
Maximum cure in 72 hours (Preferred waiting period for use but dries to the touch in a couple of hours).
Dries moderately hard, more like Etex than D2T
Appx $20 per qt.

Go to their site, http://www.targetcoatings.com/ ,join their forum and ask anything you are curious about. They answer phone calls, too which was a pleasant surprise.
Husky
Husky

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 9/16/2009, 12:12 am

Husky, does it yellow? Even a little?
fatfingers
fatfingers

Number of posts : 171

Back to top Go down

Post  whittler 9/16/2009, 12:27 am

Husky, I have gone to their site and looked at the stuff and wonder why they don't talk about the exterior UV resistant more than the interior stuff that is just water resistant.
whittler
whittler

Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Husky 9/16/2009, 10:08 am

fatfingers wrote:Husky, does it yellow? Even a little?
I have some lures with it on it for 6 mos now, and the white under it is pristine, Vince. If you are still in touch with Tigger, ask him for some, as I sent him a bottle, a while ago. Also, PM Mark Paulson on TU. He's the guy who had it in the field and passed it around to others out there. He can give you a full detailed report. (Their season never ends out in Cali. and he's been using it for a good while now)
Here's how it looks after 6 months. In that time your lures are well chewed by Muskies, anyway!:roll:
clear coat DSCF0002-35
M
Husky
Husky

Back to top Go down

Post  Husky 9/16/2009, 10:14 am

whittler wrote:Husky, I have gone to their site and looked at the stuff and wonder why they don't talk about the exterior UV resistant more than the interior stuff that is just water resistant.
I spoke to the owner of the company, Jeff, and he was the one who recommended the SC9K. Look at it this way, If you don't like it, you can always use it around the house, and $20 per Qt is good price. Mine is well over a year old and performs the same as the day I got it. I didn't try the 9300 but it sounds like it would work well too. Check it's recoat time and max cure period. Their site has local distributors so you can get it over the counter, depending upon where you live. They're based out of Jersey.

M
Husky
Husky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down