Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A way to get a really shiny base coat.

5 posters

Go down

A way to get a really shiny base coat. Empty A way to get a really shiny base coat.

Post  Husky 7/19/2010, 1:03 pm

I stumbled on this method while working on a Shiny finish for my FoTins. Here goes.

Mix some D2T. Cover one finger with the finger from a plastic glove or a plastic bag. In a pinch, you can use plastic wrap to cover the finger. Apply a thin coat of D2T on the lure with your finger tip and immediately apply .008 glitter*. When that sets, apply another "finger" coat of D2T to lock it in and give a nice base to paint on. When the 2nd coat sets, you can add whatever finish you want over it. It's quick, easy and gives a great effect. When done painting, Top Coat.
*(.008 is very fine and will lay smooth under 1 coat of epoxy.)

I have been using the "finger method" to apply epoxy coats rather than brushing. It is a great method fot top coating. Give it a try. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

And that's what I learned at "Hammer Mechanic School" this week.
Husky
Husky

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

A way to get a really shiny base coat. Empty Re: A way to get a really shiny base coat.

Post  Charlie G. 7/19/2010, 1:20 pm

Sounds like a cool system Husky. Would you have any pix of the finish product ?
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

A way to get a really shiny base coat. Empty Re: A way to get a really shiny base coat.

Post  Husky 7/19/2010, 1:29 pm

Charlie G. wrote:Sounds like a cool system Husky. Would you have any pix of the finish product ?
Hey Charlie,
Here's some FoTins. I just pour the glitter onto the plug after I epoxy it, catching the excess on a piece of paper. Then I just pour it back into the jar. It's very fine so handle it gingerly or you'll be hearing, "you're all covered with glitter."Embarassed
BTW, they're much shinier than they show in the pics. As close to chrome as you can get. Most of them have 2 coats of Etex over the glitter.
"A way to get a really shiny base coat. DSCF0180
A way to get a really shiny base coat. DSCF0181
A way to get a really shiny base coat. DSCF0178
Husky
Husky

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 7/19/2010, 1:55 pm

COOL THEY LOOK GREAT.....AWSOME IDEA... cool
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 7/19/2010, 2:21 pm

looks good nice tins...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 7/19/2010, 3:10 pm

Very cool indeed. They look great@

Bluesfish A way to get a really shiny base coat. 962367
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  Husky 7/19/2010, 4:23 pm

I'm glad you people like it. The flash factor is incredible. If you have D2T, Glitter and a piece of scrap wood, or a plug you're willing to experiment on, give it a try. Poppers with just the glitter finish will do some damage.
AND top coating with the Finger method will speed up the process dramatically and the results are as good as any brushed on.
Husky
Husky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down