Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES"..........

+10
NeedFish
smitty
Oldsalts
Lbifisherman429
Gremlin
eurojett05
rocstar21
IRON LURES
stevel
skippy
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... Empty Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES"..........

Post  skippy 1/6/2010, 10:53 pm

Welcome To SBO Okay back on track, big thanks to Needfish and Smitty for hosting the sat surfchat last week..
Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 560155 This week our "Monster Builder" host,, is Corey from Iron Lures,,, Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 560155 as always we will give out some lures,,and share some great conversation.....looking forward to hanging with ya'll....peace,,,
Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 218105 Welcome.... Corey Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 622665

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... Empty Re: Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES"..........

Post  stevel 1/6/2010, 11:33 pm

missed u skipp see ya on saturday bro ...

lookin forward to havin corey luv his work .... Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367 Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... Empty Re: Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES"..........

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 12:05 am

First off, I'd like to thank Smitty and Skippy for the opportunity to do this build for everyone. Its always interesting to see how each of us build our lures. Most of my techniques and knowledge were learned from hours on online research and tons of trial and error. I have give the props to the originators of wooden plug building, musso, pinchey, gibbs, etc., these guys built fish catching machines with little or no one to learn from.

My build is going to be my Slugger popper. Ill start from 4x4 beams and finish at the completed lure. My objective in the build is to give you guys some insight into my process (which is pretty simple) and hopefully inspire you guys to make some wood chips! So lets have some fun!
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Number of posts : 264

http://www.ironlures.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 1:35 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I buy my AYC in different forms, 1.5" balusters, 2x6, or this example 3.5x3.5. I then rip it down into either 1.5" square or 1.625" (1 5/8) depending on what lures im making. The Slugger uses 1.5" stock as do most of my lures. Thanks again to Louis for the lead on the AYC.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 1:44 am

After the wood in ripped into the desired stock, it must be cut to the length needed. I usually do my plug bodies in batches of 25-30 units at a time. I write the stock length on each of my templates so i know how long to cut them in the chop saw.

The next step is to mark the center. I use a cheap 3 dollar centerfinder and always mark on all four sides as sometimes the wood isnt exactly square especially when buying it already in baluster form. The final step before going in the lathe is to mark the centers with an all.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 1:52 am

Heres a pick of on one of my templates for the vega.

I like to write the stock size, and weight sizes, and any other info on the templates with permanent marker.

Next stock goes in the lathe. I recommend upgrading the steb centers, the better ones hold the stock with more contact points which help lower the chances of the wood flying out of the lathe. Always where a face shield, and respirator.
I line up the follower with the marks on the templates that indicate the eyes,belly weight, and hook. I then mark the plug with a pencil while the plug is spinning.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 2:03 am

Heres a pic of the plug at this point in the build. Also the sand paper i use. I like the durability of the plumbers paper, plus it vents of the sawdust thru the holes.

The next step is to drill all the appropriate holes. I use fostners as much as possible. I built jigs for each of the size stock i use. The jig is centered directly under the bit so the weights and eyes are perfectly centered in the blank. I dont hydro orient as its not feasible with the amount of lures i make, plus i dont find its worth it on a lure that has a bellyweight.

Now the lure goes to the next jig in the chop saw. This jig ensures the poppers are cut all the same, and quickly.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 1/7/2010, 8:46 am

awsome tutor on how u build a slugger Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 92223
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 1/7/2010, 10:25 am

hope I can make it....COREY does some awesome work! Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367 Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367 Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367 Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367 Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  eurojett05 1/7/2010, 3:02 pm

great tutorial to us all Cory. Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 560155
eurojett05
eurojett05

Number of posts : 2453

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 7:32 pm

To continue...
Prior to cutting the end off the front of plug, i center drill the plug body about 1 inch deep to give the cove bit something to center on once the end is chopped off.

next i set up the cove bit in my larger drill press and carve out the popper face, making sure the the plug body is securely gripped in my hand towards the bottom of the plug. Having the square end on the bottom really helps right now. Also note that after doing a few of these, the cove bit gets extremely hot, so be careful when removing it.

Now i put a 1/2" fostners bit in the press to clean up the center of the popper mouth. you only need to kiss it to clean it up. At this point the popper face will be in pretty good shape, but not perfect.

Lastly i wipe a thin layer of cheap elmers wood filler in the popper mouth. I use cheap easily sandable wood filer, as this has to be done by hand.

This pic was actually taking after the fostners bit cleaned up the center. The filler also covers up the center mark from the cove bit since this plug is off center drilled.

next i use the band saw to cut the end off the plug.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 8:44 pm

So now its time to thru drill the plug. This plug is off center drilled, meaning the the line tie is located below the centerline of the plug. I use Morris bits that are designed for deep drilling. they are brad point bits without the "wings" of standard brad points. I do my drilling on the lathe, and only drill a small amount at a time, clearing the chips frequently. Heres a pic of the bits i use...

Next step is to glue in the belly weight. I use 2 part epoxy, then wood filler epoxy to cover it over...

heres the stuff.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 10:45 pm

Ok next step, sanding and sealing. At this point i sand out the front of the popper with 220 to make a nice smooth surface. Also i soften around the eyes, belly grommet, belly weight, and tail area.

Next they get a bath in sealer. Opinions vary on sealer, but there are alot of good products on the market. I recommend minwax satin spar urethane, waterlox, or val oil. I let them dry for 48-72 hours or so in a drying cabinet. My drying cabinet stores 96 lures at a time and has a filter on one end and a brushless fan on the other to draw fresh air across the wood.

Once there out from drying i give them a quick scuff with 220 then onto metal rods. This is the last time hand touch the plugs. Next is a dip in primer. i bang the stick on a piece of cardboard to remove excess paint, this helps from getting drips around the eyes and belly hole. I let them dry another 24-48 hours, and finish with a quick sand.

I glue a 3 inch piece of vacuum tubing to a welding rod and hook with epoxy. I find this works the best for me as they fit perfectly in my painting stand and rotisserie.

IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/7/2010, 10:53 pm

So now your ready to paint. Heres a pic of my paint booth. My paint stand rides on an old skateboard bearing and metal shaft. The advantage of this is since the stand rotates you can paint both sides with netting dressed over the plug without disturbing anything giving you perfect scales.

Ill go over paint on Saturday night as i dont have time to get any more pics taken till then. Thanks guys.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gremlin 1/7/2010, 11:10 pm

Another reason why I love this site. Welcome back Skippy!!

Beautiful tutorial by Iron Lures. Great Job and thanks for taking the time to post and share.

You builders are the best!!!!!
Gremlin
Gremlin
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 452

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 1/7/2010, 11:20 pm

corey awsome job bro ....

your tutorial is realy great ......thanks for sharing with us

sbo builders are truely the best of the best ...SBO ROCKS ... Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367 Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 962367
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Lbifisherman429 1/7/2010, 11:51 pm

Corey, Great Job!'
so how do you make the metal rods that the plugs are on?

That popper looks great!!

Lbifisherman429
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 391

Back to top Go down

Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... Empty man...

Post  skippy 1/8/2010, 12:05 am

Welcome To SBO ,,,,Great job Corey,,really enjoying the read Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 622665

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsalts 1/8/2010, 9:15 am

Sweet Cory

SBO rocks it out...!!!!

I am learning new stuff every build thanks guys...... :read:

Sat night surfchat....week 7,,,,"IRON LURES".......... 218105
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/8/2010, 11:10 am

Lbifisherman429 wrote:Corey, Great Job!'
so how do you make the metal rods that the plugs are on?

That popper looks great!!

You can buy the rods in 3 ft lengths from any welding supply store. I cut them in half. You actually buy them by the pound, not per piece.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 1/10/2010, 12:08 am

awesome awesome awesome...
i just got a few new ideas for my shop lol thanks cory...

great info for sure
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NeedFish 1/10/2010, 1:02 am

Killer: LBIFish

Iron Lures, from left to right
1st: oldsalts
2nd: bennyraw
3rd: murph
4th: stevel
5th: gremlin

NeedFish

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/10/2010, 1:08 am

So, now its time to paint this bad boy... im painting a jointed lure because ill my slugger bodies are already painted.

First step, paint it white, i use creatix paint mostly.

Next i paint my base colors, this isnt as critcal as the final painting, because most of it is going to be covered up once the netting is layed over the plug.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/10/2010, 1:12 am

Next lay your netting over, in this case i use a fine netting from joanns fabric.

I paint the sides with a custom mixed green color, then turquoise from from the top blending over the green.
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 1/10/2010, 1:19 am

Next and final paint step, i switch to my fine airbrush, not sure the model Iwata, i think its a HP-C .2 mm. I paint a line from tip to tail on the top of the lure in transparent black. At this point i adjust the rear knob on the brush so that the brush will only paint i thin line and i do the maceral stripes starting from the black line down the back. Finally just a light fade around the eyes for detail.

now take the netting off and it should look similar to this...

Now epoxy glue in your eye, lip, and belly grommets.
Then time for top coat!
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next