Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw....

+6
bennyraw
FJR
stevel
rocstar21
Bluesfish
skippy
10 posters

Go down

Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... Empty Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw....

Post  skippy 1/14/2010, 10:35 pm

Welcome To SBO ..... One of my favorite builders,,, been a lot of good times in our short friendship, I look forward to many more Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 622665 Welcome Benny Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 560155

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... Empty Re: Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw....

Post  Bluesfish 1/14/2010, 11:29 pm

Can't wait to see this. Benny's work is awsome!!!! drool drool

Bluesfish Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 218105
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... Empty Re: Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw....

Post  rocstar21 1/14/2010, 11:32 pm

SWEET!!! CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU GOT UP YOUR SLEEVE BENNY! Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 1/14/2010, 11:35 pm

one of SBO'S finest....... benny cant wait to see what u got cooking for this .... Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 92223
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 1/15/2010, 8:51 am

Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 1/15/2010, 8:57 pm

Hey guys, sorry for the late response. I've been under tecnological attack today affraid.

I did a whole build with pictures over a month ago and lost the memory card.
So I rebuilt the plug this
morning and took more pics. When I was uploading them to photobucket my computer was attacked by a worm virus and shut down on me.

I'm at work now and I'm going to try and do this from my itouch.

I have minimal tools and I wanted to do something that coul
d be done with just a knife and some sandpaper.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm always trying to come up with something new and usually finding out it's all been done before.
This build is just another one of those stories.
I generely like to sit and hang with the piece of wood I'll be using and wait for the inspiration to come. Trying to pull from the miriad of lures we all see. This is the shape I came up with on this 1.5" square piece of cedar.

bennyraw

Number of posts : 222

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 1/15/2010, 9:25 pm

If you have access to a bandsaw or a jigsaw that's the easiest way to cut out your shape but you can also just do it with the knife.
Next I'll draw my shape on top and bottom and cut to shape with a knife.
from here I'll put the plug in the vice Greek style and start sanding.
This plug is pretty easy to make for a wooden lipped swimmer and they've swam very consistantly for me. Basically you just round the bottom infill it meets the top up to the end of the first curve and the round out the back, top and bottom first and then the sides.
unfortunately this last pic is where my computer crapped out so I have no pics of the rest of the build. As far as weighting goes I put a six gram slug at the center of gravity and a three gram slug an inch in front of that with the hook centered between them. I'm still playing with the through wire but I'm basically doubling the wire,pushing it through and then opening it up again. I fill the holes with plumbers epoxy and then sand and seal.
Tomorrow I should be able to get a couple more pics of the build up and pics of the finished plug which will be given away in tomorrow nights chat.

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 1/15/2010, 9:28 pm

I'm not sure why these pics aren't coming up in the post, probably has to do with posting from the itouch. If someone knows how to fix that, that would be great.

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  eurojett05 1/16/2010, 12:33 am

benny...i've edit your pics to show the images....let me know if it's in the right order.

Looking good benny.... Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 92223
eurojett05
eurojett05

Number of posts : 2453

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 1/16/2010, 9:22 am

lookin good benny.... Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 92223

way to help with the pics jett..... Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 560155
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 1/16/2010, 11:39 am

AWESOME BENNY!!! Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... Empty no sweat

Post  skippy 1/16/2010, 12:24 pm

Hey Benny brother, do not sweat it, you got the whole week, does not have to be done to be givin away...

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 1/16/2010, 4:25 pm

skippy wrote:Welcome To SBO ..... One of my favorite builders,,, been a lot of good times in our short friendship, I look forward to many more Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 622665 Welcome Benny Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 560155
Thanks for the warm welcome Skip, I feel the same way. Really looking forward to meeting you at the Berkeley show.
I'll get this post straightened up this week. Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 870783

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 1/16/2010, 4:26 pm

I'm going to be late for the chat but I'll be there.

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  etch 1/16/2010, 4:45 pm

awesome,cant wait to see more of it, big fan of your work benny,

Etch
etch
etch

Number of posts : 1193

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com/Etch-Custom-Lures-h2.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 1/18/2010, 3:11 pm

OK, I still don't have a computer so I have limited itouch access at work.

After rounding out the bottom and back of the plug and softening the corners it should look something like this.
At this point you can use screw eyes for hook and eye placement and tape your weights in place and take it for a swim.
When your happy with how it swims, mark your locations, drill your weight and belly holes and then through drill if desired.
I like the look of the through wire coming out the bottom of this plug but I'm sure it would be fine wired traditionally as well.

So as I was saying at the top of the thread, after many hours spent developing and finishing the plug I'm BS'ing with DMag and Football Jack on the beach one day and Dennis says "what's that in your bag, we use to fish those all the time. Hey Jack, what are these called?"
"Oh, that's a flat fish"
Oh well, back to the drawing board, I did pick up some cool tuning info though.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 1/20/2010, 12:24 pm

Alright lets paint. I tarted this plug off white and then painted the bottom pink/blue cloud and the top black.
Next I brush the backinto the sides with Pearl-Ex Interference Violet. I'm a big fan of this stuff and use it on alot of my plugs. It may not show up in the pic but it adds a nice purple hue that shows up as you turn the plug in the light.
You could call it done here and the plug will look great and be very fishy. I'll be doing a few more steps over the next couple of days though.

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 1/20/2010, 3:01 pm

Awesome design Benny. Thanks for this.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... Empty very cool.....

Post  skippy 1/20/2010, 8:46 pm

bennyraw wrote:Alright lets paint. I tarted this plug off white and then painted the bottom pink/blue cloud and the top black.
Next I brush the backinto the sides with Pearl-Ex Interference Violet. I'm a big fan of this stuff and use it on alot of my plugs. It may not show up in the pic but it adds a nice purple hue that shows up as you turn the plug in the light.
You could call it done here and the plug will look great and be very fishy. I'll be doing a few more steps over the next couple of days though.
looks like some pretty cool stuff...

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 1/24/2010, 11:55 am

I've seen flatfish before and those don't look like flatfish to me...yours are much more graceful. I can't believe you can carve something like that with a knife and a piece of sandpaper.

Those are some beautiful baits.
fatfingers
fatfingers

Number of posts : 171

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 1/26/2010, 11:17 am

Thanks Vince, means alot coming from you.

I couldn't take pics of the painting process do to the style which must be done quickly. You'll get the idea if you watch Black Talon's video though.
I did a brushed white/pearl white/silver marble pattern on the bottom and then, while still keeping the paint wet, sprayed the top with aqua/pearl siver/pearl green. Remember to spray plain water betwee each layer. Next, while the paint is still wet, you can use just air, at a very low pressure, to spray the top paint away exposing your interference violet below in the Mack pattern.

I'm calling it...Absrackeral...Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 622665

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 1/26/2010, 3:53 pm

THAT IS A FRIGGING SICK ASS PAINT JOB ON A SICK ASS PLUG MY FRIEND!!! I LOVE IT!!! YOU GOT THE SKILLS TO PAY THE BILLS BROTHER!!!!

Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367 Sat-night surf chat,,, Week 8 " Monster Builder ",,,Bennyraw.... 962367
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down