Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone epoxy seal their plugs

+2
handyman
fishing75
6 posters

Go down

Does anyone epoxy seal their plugs Empty Does anyone epoxy seal their plugs

Post  fishing75 4/3/2011, 9:16 pm

Hey fellow SBO'ers. Hope you all had a great weekend. Not long now til we will be out again chasing our favorite fish!!!! Does anyone epoxy seal their plugs 962367 Does anyone epoxy seal their plugs 962367 Anyway, I have some etex just sitting around. even though I built a spinner, I'm still not comfortable using etex as a finishing coat so I still use Devcon 2 ton which I am very comfortable using. Since I don't want the etex to go to waste, I have been toying with the idea of sealing plugs with it. I have researched how to do it and it seems to be a really effective way to get a good seal on the bodies and cut down on dry time. Does anyone here epoxy seal and if so what is your method of doing it. I warm the bodies at 200 degrees for 20 minutes in the oven. while they are warming I mix the etex with DA in a 70/30 ratio etex to DA. I get the plug bodies out and pour the etex down the through hole then use a Qtip for the belly/weight holes and a brush for the outside of the plug then let dry. I did a plug yesterday afternoon and this morning it was dry and ready for priming cool. I also noticed that the wood seemed to be harder? confused any input would be appreciated because if this is a good way of doing it then i think i may make the switch from spar urethane to this. thanks guys cheers

fishing75

Number of posts : 596

Back to top Go down

Does anyone epoxy seal their plugs Empty Re: Does anyone epoxy seal their plugs

Post  handyman 4/3/2011, 10:13 pm

hay evan..............cant say that i ever tried that epoxy sealing..............i use WATERLOX Marine seal coat stright up..........let the plugs soak real good......and give them a good 24hrs dry time.......www.waterlox.com for info

so when we going fishing popcorn

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  fishing75 4/3/2011, 10:38 pm

handyman wrote:hay evan..............cant say that i ever tried that epoxy sealing..............i use WATERLOX Marine seal coat stright up..........let the plugs soak real good......and give them a good 24hrs dry time.......www.waterlox.com for info

so when we going fishing popcorn

I'll look into that bruce thanks. I'm ready when you are bud. You would know when I should come down better than me. I do plan on coming down by at least the end of this month. I hope the weather warms a bit by then though. what do you think popcorn

fishing75

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 4/4/2011, 8:53 am

let me know when you planning to come down

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  fishing75 4/4/2011, 9:29 am

handyman wrote:let me know when you planning to come down
Will do bud

fishing75

Back to top Go down

Does anyone epoxy seal their plugs Empty I epoxy seal

Post  stripercrazy 4/6/2011, 6:59 pm

I basicly do what you do heat bodys/50/50 mix and a add alittle alchol pour it in and all over wipe off extra and there dry in like 10 hrs.. works very good on light ceders like red and white cheers

stripercrazy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed White 4/7/2011, 9:58 pm

I epoxy seal everything, using etex, and have never found a need to thin the stuff for sealing, once the plugs are warm the stuff just runs all over, thru the holes, everywhere. Let sit for a few minutes, re-apply anywhere that you might see dry spots (end grain), and clean off the excess, clean lip slot, thru hole, hook holes, eye holes. Makes a really stable base for priming after a scuff sanding, hardens the wood, I like everything about it, except the epoxy part....ever notice that epoxy is really sticky stuff? Rubber gloves, and a roll of shop towels are your friend.

Ed White

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  RHM 4/7/2011, 10:05 pm

I dont use it.... Boiled linseed oil straight in the plug and let it sit for 30 days and then its ready for primer and painting.
The linseed oil penetrates the inside of the plug and will repel the water so it split the plug.
RHM
RHM

Number of posts : 388

http://WWW.Stripedbassobession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blacklabel 4/8/2011, 9:39 pm

i expoy seal every plug i make just follow what ed said and you will be just fine.
blacklabel
blacklabel
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Number of posts : 284

http://www.blacklabelplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishing75 4/8/2011, 10:16 pm

Thanks for the response everyone. I did a few last night and really like the way they came out. I'm going to keep sealing like this! cheers

fishing75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down