Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wood for plugs

+2
CaptFrank
ihaventseenitall
6 posters

Go down

wood for plugs Empty wood for plugs

Post  ihaventseenitall 3/7/2011, 4:21 pm

I have pleanty of cedar that I am removing from my yard. Does anyone know if I can use these to lathe. Do I have to wait a certain amont of time to use it. Is it worth the effort to do this. I have started to tie my teasers and hooks. and find it easy and fun. I'm just beginning to start to lathe. If fact I haven't set it up yet but will work on it soon. Thanks for any and all advice.

ihaventseenitall

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

wood for plugs Empty Re: wood for plugs

Post  CaptFrank 3/7/2011, 4:59 pm

How big are the cedars? You most likely would want to get them cut up and then sticker them to dry out first. I don't think wet wood is good to use due to the possibility of it cracking and shrinking as it drys. I'm fairly new at lures, but I know doing decoys you wanted the wood pretty dry. I have used red and white cedar, both carve really well. If you need help getting the wood cut up shoot me a PM. I have a friend who could probably help.
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Number of posts : 230

http://www.brynnie-binshorefishing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lbifisherman429 3/7/2011, 5:43 pm

if you cutting it your self... assuming this is a tree you will need to seal the ends of the logs using anchor seal (i think) or paint. This will prevent cracking. and then you have to wait until the moisture content of the wood gets down

Lbifisherman429
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 391

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 3/7/2011, 7:29 pm

to be honest burn it and just buy from your local mill support the ecomnay......Stuff is so cheep as it is...
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MarkC 3/8/2011, 6:22 pm

Sorry to hyjack the thread but what other wood are used for plug turning ? i have some Sapele african hard wood, plenty of oak, just wondered if these are any good i also have some pine.

shark
MarkC
MarkC

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 3/8/2011, 8:39 pm

welp o'l sharkie........hardwoods are good for needles.......pine good for surfsters needles dannys but i like to use cedar for my surfsters & dannys......as well for all my poppers...............cheers mate

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down