Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs?

+2
Charlie G.
Muskyslayer96
6 posters

Go down

Wood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs? Empty Wood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs?

Post  Muskyslayer96 11/15/2011, 5:30 pm

Hey fellas,

I'm going to try and make some smaller stuff this year (3.5-4.5" & .75" diameter). I tried to make some surfsters and surface / sub-surface swimmers out of some scrap cherry I had laying around, with litte success (too heavy with hardware). Here is a pic.....
I'm going to try a smaller hook and a smaller aluminum lip to see if it will work better. I also have some Basswood in the same dimensions for turning, will that work better?

For all you guys who build smaller stuff, I'm interested in your thoughts. thanks in advance for you help. I hope the fall is treating everyone well and all are getting the shops ready for building season to start ;)

MSWood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs? 450
Muskyslayer96
Muskyslayer96

Number of posts : 391

http://irishwhipesoxbaits.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Wood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs? Empty Re: Wood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs?

Post  Charlie G. 11/15/2011, 6:38 pm

I've heard of guys using Basswood and Red Cedar but never used either.

But I do know that I love that bottom plug body shape. I just started using those lips to MS on a few new plugs.
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Wood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs? Empty Re: Wood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs?

Post  Chunkah 11/15/2011, 10:55 pm

I don't really build small stuff, but I'd say give red cedar a try....love that stuff.
Chunkah
Chunkah
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 106

Back to top Go down

Wood type for smaller surface / sub surface plugs? Empty cherry

Post  stripercrazy 11/15/2011, 11:26 pm

the flaptail should work fine with cherry, chin loop to keep the head up...the reg flaptail from moores or salty is heaver to keep the tail in the water....the other 2 plugs the lips might be too big...I've never had great luck with them(those lips) they push alot of water,,,you might want to try a pikie1 or a lefty 1 lip in those bodies...high slot...for the surface with those lips I'd stay away from the red ceder try ayc first it'll float good and have some weight to control the lip...I got a lip like yours from salty its the smallest one( he sells 3 different sizes) i put it in a rm smith peanut and showed it to ryan he looked at it and said that'll work....it swims great

stripercrazy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Muskyslayer96 11/16/2011, 6:26 pm

Thanks fellas for the tips......i'll give it a try.

MS
Muskyslayer96
Muskyslayer96

Number of posts : 391

http://irishwhipesoxbaits.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JimmyJam 11/17/2011, 2:54 pm

WRC is nice, because its so light. If you don't wear a dusk mask, definitely wear one with the WRC, or you'll feel like you got the flu for a few hours :)

JimmyJam

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 11/21/2011, 10:54 am

I agree with Eddie, those lips are to big for those plugs. The other thing that might help is to center your lip slot, it looks like it's cut to high in the center plug. Also try the surfsters lips from NJT they are better quality !!!

I've had good luck using pine,wrc, basswood and mahogany on smaller type plugs.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down