Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood

+2
FJR
Muskyslayer96
6 posters

Go down

Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood Empty Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood

Post  Muskyslayer96 3/2/2012, 7:38 am

Hey fellas,

I started making some smaller walleye/bass sized swimming plugs at my buddies request. I'm looking for a wood filler that won't add as much weight as epoxy putty, and that is a lot easier to sand, doesn't shrink much and can be sealed to be water proof. Is there such a product? I know some people use bondo?
The plugs get little dings and I'd like to fill around the lip slot and clean the eye holes up a little. I use epoxy putty on all my musky stuf and it can be a real pain to sand down without messing up the clean wood.

Thanks in advance fellas,

MS
Muskyslayer96
Muskyslayer96

Number of posts : 391

http://irishwhipesoxbaits.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood Empty Re: Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood

Post  FJR 3/2/2012, 12:50 pm

Try Elmer's epoxy wood filler, good stuff. they claim it's waterproof and won't shrink. Cleans up with water and sands nice.

I use those large flat toothpicks to stuff it in the holes and smooth it out. I like it for metal lips because it sticks to the stainless, unlike d2t. Easy to work with, just dampen what ever tool you use with a tiny bit of water and it smooths out real nice.
Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood Hpim1212
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood Empty Re: Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood

Post  handyman 3/2/2012, 6:54 pm

minwax high performance 2 part wood filler...........

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  Chunkah 3/2/2012, 8:52 pm

handyman wrote:minwax high performance 2 part wood filler...........

My favorite.
Chunkah
Chunkah
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 106

Back to top Go down

Post  rider3 3/2/2012, 11:10 pm

as long as you seal after you fill the holes, you can use some saw dust mixed with elmers glue. Just mis and knead together till you get to the right consistancy.
rider3
rider3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Wood filler for smaller plugs made from soft wood Empty puddy's

Post  stripercrazy 3/5/2012, 1:32 pm

i haven't had much luck with any epoxy puddys they don't expand and contract like wood they don't penatrate into the wood, I've allwayed wondered of useing a 30 min epoxy with the puddy would be better with the liquid epoxy penatrating into the wood and holding the puddy...I use the liquid epoxy right now pain to sand

stripercrazy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down