Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring

+12
Oldsalts
Minivin5
eurojett05
FJR
fish factor
bennyraw
etch
rocstar21
IRON LURES
Bluesfish
skippy
Alphabaits
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring Empty Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring

Post  Alphabaits 12/9/2009, 9:08 pm

First I would just like to thank Smitty for a great site and Skippy for asking me to be involved with such a great bunch of builders. I wanted to do something different but also wanted to stay within the one week build deal. I went with something I'm familiar with but went with a new shape and different lip setup than I usually do. So here's my Monster.

I started out with a piece of Alaskan yellow cedar 1" thick X 1 7/8 wide. I trace my outline from my template onto the wood.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then I cut out the blank on the bandsaw.

Then while the blank is still flat I cut my lip slot and drill through the eye mark with a very small drill bit all the way through the blank. This keeps you eye lined up on both sides. I will show this later.

Now I start to lay out my lines on the bait. I have a collection of small sections of lexan and polycarbonate that I lay flat on the table to make a mark on the bait that will be equal on both sides and eliminates the need for a centerline or measuring. I use a thicker section for my tail marks for a thinner tail. I use a thinner section for my head marks for a thicker head section.

Then I just connect all the marks with a flexible metal ruler. Here is what it looks like all laid out.

I'll post more in a bit.

Alphabaits

Number of posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring Empty hey ted..

Post  skippy 12/9/2009, 9:28 pm

Alphabaits wrote:First I would just like to thank Smitty for a great site and Skippy for asking me to be involved with such a great bunch of builders. I wanted to do something different but also wanted to stay within the one week build deal. I went with something I'm familiar with but went with a new shape and different lip setup than I usually do. So here's my Monster.

I started out with a piece of Alaskan yellow cedar 1" thick X 1 7/8 wide. I trace my outline from my template onto the wood.

Then I cut out the blank on the bandsaw.

Then while the blank is still flat I cut my lip slot and drill through the eye mark with a very small drill bit all the way through the blank. This keeps you eye lined up on both sides. I will show this later.

Now I start to lay out my lines on the bait. I have a collection of small sections of lexan and polycarbonate that I lay flat on the table to make a mark on the bait that will be equal on both sides and eliminates the need for a centerline or measuring. I use a thicker section for my tail marks for a thinner tail. I use a thinner section for my head marks for a thicker head section.

Then I just connect all the marks with a flexible metal ruler. Here is what it looks like all laid out.

I'll post more in a bit.
Welcome To SBO Thanks for sharing,we all know your plugs have a rep. for catching,
great of you to share your plugbuilding knowledge with us. thanks

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring Empty Re: Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring

Post  Alphabaits 12/9/2009, 11:09 pm

From here I will either use the bandsaw or sander to remove the excess wood outside my lines. I use the bandsaw for bigger stuff and will just use the sander for smaller plugs.

I have a set of magnetic rubber jaw pads that I use to get a grip on the plug while I shape it. They are great as you can use a good bit of pressure and not mar the wood at all.

I chuck up the bait in the vice and use a strip of sanding belt to shape the bait. I use a piece of used 80 grit belt as it removes enough wood easily but is not overly aggressive.

I just keep flipping end to end and front to back and keep an eye on keeping things even.

At this point I will take a forstner bit on my hand drill and using the small holes I drilled earlier as a pilot drill my eye holes.

Now I will do some hand sanding with a sanding sponge and the bait in my hand. I use a medium grit sponge in the 150 range for this. Now the bait is taking shape.

I will do a final sand with a piece of paper and smooth out all the sanding marks. And the bait is starting to take shape.

I wanted to do a full sealed bait but with the one week time frame I thought I would just do grommet and tail wrap. I drill for my grommet which I recess and drill for my belly weight.

Now into sealer and primer and we will be ready for paint.

Alphabaits

Back to top Go down

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring Empty Re: Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring

Post  Bluesfish 12/9/2009, 11:44 pm

Alphabaits: Very well done, even "I" feel as though I might be able to do one the way you explained,and illistrated it so far! Thanks

Bluesfish Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 870783
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 12/10/2009, 10:28 am

looks great, i enjoy seeing how you do handcarves, ive never done them. Ill have to give it a shot!
thanks for the how-to, looks Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 962367 awesome!
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Number of posts : 264

http://www.ironlures.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 12/10/2009, 11:21 am

GREAT JOB ALPHA...... LOVE THE PROFILE OF THE PLUG! YOU GUYS ALL MAKE IT LOOK SO EASY.......

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 560155 Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 92223 Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 560155 Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 92223
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  etch 12/10/2009, 2:06 pm

awesome work greek, Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 560155 Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 560155 big fan of your work drool drool drool

Etch
etch
etch

Number of posts : 1193

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com/Etch-Custom-Lures-h2.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Alphabaits 12/10/2009, 8:02 pm

Now I'm ready to paint. I set out my colors I want along with some water to clean in between color changes. I use a Paasche VLST Pro that I cut the screw on bottle connector off of. I like the features of the brush but did not like the bottle adapter. The mod was easy and painless with a dremel and cutting wheel. I also plan to clip the handle in the rear for access to the needle without having to unscrew the whole handle assembly. It would make clearing a paint blob real easy. This brush is lightyears ahead of my other brush [a peak X-3] and didn't break the bank. I got the brush kit and hose for around 60 bucks.

Something I like that I have been playing around with lately is painting the backs of clear eyes to get some other colors that are not so standard. The options are really endless with these as you can paint whatever color you want and also add dots or stripes or whatever you want to them. I just hold the eye in a pair of forcepts and shoot whatever color I want then hit it with a hair dryer to dry it and they are ready to go on.

Alphabaits

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 12/10/2009, 9:51 pm

Always inspiring Ted, this place is really like finding gold for lure builders.

bennyraw

Number of posts : 222

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 12/10/2009, 10:59 pm

wow awesome job job well done
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Alphabaits 12/11/2009, 8:08 pm

I shot my primed body with opaque white to give a nice basecoat. Then I used pearl white as the color I mixed everything else with. I first shot the sides with a little pearl silver, then pearl white on the belly, then a mix of pearl white and pearl purple on the top, then pearl white with a drop of transparent red for a fog on the sides. This is what it looked like when I was done painting.

I let it dry overnight and then cleared it with a coat of two part epoxy.

Took it out for a final run in the little tidal creek near my house. Here's what I ended up with. Video is off my camera and pretty bad but it gives you an idea.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This was fun and I enjoyed it. Like I said I tried to stay within the one week period given for this. I would have like to have tried a few different weight schemes but was running out of time and weather. Thanks everyone and I hope that someone gets a little something they can use from this. Thanks.

Ted [The Greek]

Alphabaits

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 12/11/2009, 8:58 pm

Excellent [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] tutorial, Ted. Nice shape and paint on the plug. All the handcarves I do are based on what you showed me last winter, thank you.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring Empty wow ted...

Post  skippy 12/11/2009, 10:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] outstanding,sweet color blend, just a beauty [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I really enjoyed your eye tutorial

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 12/11/2009, 10:49 pm

Very cool Ted. I think we all owe alot of hand carving skills to you.
Your video didn't load right though.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 12/11/2009, 10:57 pm

TED..... THAT ACTION AND PAINT BLEND ON THAT PLUG IS SICK BRO! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

HELL OF A JOB! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  eurojett05 12/12/2009, 12:07 am

great tutorial Ted.....very nice action too! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
eurojett05
eurojett05

Number of posts : 2453

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 12/12/2009, 10:22 am

Ted yet another great tutorial [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post  Alphabaits 12/12/2009, 7:20 pm

Here's some stuff I'll be giving away tonight.

Alphabaits

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsalts 12/12/2009, 8:21 pm

Alphabaits wrote:Here's some stuff I'll be giving away tonight.

Awesome and great tutorial you know i will be there tonight ....SBO Rocks... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks for taking part in this great Monster Build...

Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 12/12/2009, 10:33 pm

ted awsome job all around [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] your work sweet great tutorial [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 12/13/2009, 12:24 am

I'm just tooling up to try my hand at a few plugs [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Ted thanks for the indept tutorial, the hand carved like you just demonstrated will prob. be the first kind I try.
What guage thru wire do you use, and how much does that plug weigh when completed?
Thanks,
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring Empty hey guys....

Post  skippy 12/13/2009, 11:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I just want to say another great monster build, our surfchats are sick....because our members are baddass [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ....Thanks Ted for a great build, and a great surfchat.....wheres that big bass????? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 12/14/2009, 12:47 am

I was bummed that I didn't get to pick your brain a bit Ted, You're definitely among my favorite builders.
Unfortunately I'm going to miss most of next week too Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 177925

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring Empty hey benny

Post  skippy 12/14/2009, 12:59 am

bennyraw wrote:I was bummed that I didn't get to pick your brain a bit Ted, You're definitely among my favorite builders.
Unfortunately I'm going to miss most of next week too Week 3 Monster Build...Alphabaits..Handcarved Herring 177925
you won a plug from alphabaits, and jamie won yours. thanks

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  black talon 12/14/2009, 2:41 pm

that was great all around Ted. killer hand carves bro

black talon

Number of posts : 342

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next