Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

finally need some wood...

+4
fish factor
FJR
smitty
holymackeral
8 posters

Go down

finally need some wood... Empty finally need some wood...

Post  holymackeral 11/4/2009, 9:23 pm

ok so thanks to my brother not being able to hit the surf to fish. i've decided to push ahead getting the basement ready to turn plugs. i hope to have the tables and all built and the tools set up to go. now for the most important things. the wood to turn.

i know there's a ton of posts on a certain other site and i seen a couple here but my searching skills are as good as my fishing skills. just not there. the first plug we are looking to make are pencil poppers. i like a medium weighted lure in the 2-2 1/2oz range. my brother likes larger plugs say 3oz+. so is there a wood that will work for this type of lure and the weight ranges we are looking to try and get? what type of places will carry that type of wood? online is not really an option but i can see about ordering somehow.

i know i'm going to need a burr ball or something similar to make the cup on the end. is there anything besides a burr ball that i can use? just trying to find options to building.

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

finally need some wood... Empty Re: finally need some wood...

Post  smitty 11/4/2009, 9:29 pm

cedar is a basic wood to use and your going to add weight to it so it fits your needs as to what weight you want it.

as far as cupping the face of a popper yes you and most use a paddle bit or arbor drill bit...
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 11/5/2009, 10:35 am

You can't go wrong using basswood, nice stuff to work with. You are close to a great place for wood. Look up Monteath Lumber on Bordentown Rd, they have many different types of wood that are good for plug building.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 11/5/2009, 5:58 pm

i use a cove bit to poppers just watch the fingers lol!
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 11/5/2009, 9:21 pm

I don't bother cupping the face on pencil pencil poppers. I usually just sand a slight angle on the face.I only use a cupped face on poppers that I retrieve in a straight line. The pencils face swings side to side so I don't see the need to cup the face. Make sure you add weight to the ass end or it won't work correctly! my 2 cents
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Post  NeedFish 11/6/2009, 12:08 am

FJR wrote:You can't go wrong using basswood, nice stuff to work with. You are close to a great place for wood. Look up Monteath Lumber on Bordentown Rd, they have many different types of wood that are good for plug building.

In the way of topwater lures, and even needlefish, basswood is my favorite wood to build with. The biggest complaint you will hear about basswood is its softness, which can easily be changed by sealing with epoxy. The wood tends to firm up after you use sealer, just keep in mind with basswood, your going to need to submerge the plug at least once to ensure a tight seal, simply because the wood is so porous.

NeedFish

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 11/8/2009, 12:43 pm

NeedFish wrote:
FJR wrote:You can't go wrong using basswood, nice stuff to work with. You are close to a great place for wood. Look up Monteath Lumber on Bordentown Rd, they have many different types of wood that are good for plug building.

In the way of topwater lures, and even needlefish, basswood is my favorite wood to build with. The biggest complaint you will hear about basswood is its softness, which can easily be changed by sealing with epoxy. The wood tends to firm up after you use sealer, just keep in mind with basswood, your going to need to submerge the plug at least once to ensure a tight seal, simply because the wood is so porous.

what do you mean by submerge the plug?

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  NeedFish 11/8/2009, 2:21 pm

holymackeral wrote:
NeedFish wrote:

what do you mean by submerge the plug?

Poor choice of words on my part. What I meant to say is that if your using a normal sealer like BLO or Helmsman, make sure you put the plug in the sealer at least once.

NeedFish

Number of posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Gattafish 11/15/2009, 2:27 pm

if your going to turn a bunch of plugs you can even use some Western Red Cedar, Alaskan Yellow Cedar and lots of others,,,,,, Just be sure to use dust collection and wear a mask,,,,
Gattafish
Gattafish

Number of posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  first2wins 11/15/2009, 3:32 pm

I started with a cedar post form Home Depo. I am not a big fan of pencil poppers so mine are out of pine. Chepo framing lumber cut offs from work sites.

I also keep an eye out on craigslist for wood in the free section and along the curb. Lot of maple tables, and chairs get tossed out. When I was working at Temple Univ. there was a ton of construction on the side streets and many of those beams were some very dense pine.

And then there is the lumber yard that will cut anything you need or tell you who can.
first2wins
first2wins

Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down