Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simple Flames............bennyraw

+10
fatfingers
SurfChick
whitey
fish factor
FJR
skippy
Minivin5
Gremlin
stevel
bennyraw
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Simple Flames............bennyraw Empty Simple Flames............bennyraw

Post  bennyraw 9/17/2009, 10:24 pm

I want to first thank Skippy for putting this together and I was honored to be asked to be a part of it. I know we've all learned a ton and really appreciate some of these great artists sharing some of their tricks. I also want to give credit to Salty Dog who built this really impressive blank to give me an easy canvas to work on, if you can't tell, this thing is massive.
:you da man: Welcome To SBO

There are allot of way's to do flames, some much more complicated than others. Mine are still very much a work in progress and I'm hoping to pick up some good tips from you guys but I'm going to share a simple way to portray the flame effect. I call this pattern Toasted Wonderbread and, as seems comon we'll start with a pearl white plug :) Next do the whole thing in a wonderbread pattern making sure to go light on your paint. I like to fog the whole thing in pearl white and then add some intermittent small silver pearl scales.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
For the next step you'll need some stencil material, I like Frisket. Find some images of flames that you like, you can trace them if you like but I usually just draw them freehand and then cut them out with a razor. I'm using the positive image for this plug but for alot of flames I do the negative image works better so don't toss your scraps.
Stick your stencil on the plug carefully and mask off the rest of your plug.
Next I fog the whole plug in a very light pearl blue and then add a larger scale mesh and add some fairly thick pearl silver scales over that.
The next step is to shade the edges of your flame stencil in black, try to vary how light or dark you spray as you go.
Let everything dry, peel off your masking and you're done.
Hopefully this will be a good jumping off point for you guys.

bennyraw

Number of posts : 222

Back to top Go down

Simple Flames............bennyraw Empty Re: Simple Flames............bennyraw

Post  stevel 9/17/2009, 10:30 pm

wow that plug design is sick its realy awsome great job u plug builders make it look so easy but i know alot of work goes into each one Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155 Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  Gremlin 9/17/2009, 10:57 pm

Fantastic Demo. Thanks for sharing that tip. It looks great!! Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155 Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155
Gremlin
Gremlin
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 452

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 9/17/2009, 11:05 pm

Benny great demo, you make it look so easy :shock:
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Simple Flames............bennyraw Empty alright...

Post  skippy 9/18/2009, 12:10 am

very cool benny... can not wait to do some flames Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 9/18/2009, 7:55 am

Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155 Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155 Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155 Nice job, maybe I'll be able to do this one, if I ever get a chance to try and paint again !!!!!
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 9/18/2009, 9:35 am

Thanks Guys' sorry for the early post but I'm headed up to the Cape this morning and won't make the chat. I'll try to add to this next week using the other side of our template on a different plug, be sure to pick up a French Curve at your local art store and we'll do some more detailed flames.
Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 9/18/2009, 11:45 am

Awesome demo Benny
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey 9/18/2009, 11:56 am

that thing is hot Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Post  SurfChick 9/18/2009, 2:31 pm

Thats awesome! I love flames on lures and may just try that...... :study: Very Happy
SurfChick
SurfChick

Number of posts : 760

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 9/18/2009, 9:17 pm

Excellent tutorial.
fatfingers
fatfingers

Number of posts : 171

Back to top Go down

Simple Flames............bennyraw Empty thanks benny.....

Post  skippy 9/24/2009, 4:25 pm

Welcome To SBO I was hoping to do some flames, you got me kick started......
I decided to pick up a paintbrush, and do some "Redhot" freestyle,,,has been a lot of fun.. Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Post  black talon 9/24/2009, 7:41 pm

you can have some crazy fun with this demo guys, lets see what you got.

very nice job mr. Raw Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155

black talon

Number of posts : 342

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 10/17/2009, 12:08 pm

Well, I was hoping a couple of you guys would try some flames. Looks like I have to try again. Simple Flames............bennyraw 870783

Welcome To SBO
Starting with a back plug this time and using the inverse of the stencil we cut in the first pattern.
I'm using a nice light blue for my base, it will darken up quite a bit by the time we're done. You just want to highlight the pattern in select areas, don't fill in the whole stencil.
Next highlight what you sprayed with white, be sparing. When you peel off your stencil it should look something like this.
Now you can overspray with a deep transparent blue, the thicker the coat the more depth your flames will have when you're done.
For the next step I use my french curve, you could also cut a stencil out of cardboard.
You just want to be creative here, picture how the flames would look naturally. Just hold your curve up to the plug and highlight parts of the curve. It's good to practice on a piece of paper before you try it on a plug, the curved surface makes it a little tougher.
I do the first layer in the same light blue and then overspray again with the dark transparent blue.
After that I did my next layer of flames in pearl purple and then more flames in pearl green and the did some final highlights in white. You can also clear between coats to create more depth. Of course you can use whatever colors float your boat.

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 10/17/2009, 12:23 pm

looks awsome benny Simple Flames............bennyraw 92223 great job Simple Flames............bennyraw 560155
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 10/17/2009, 12:47 pm

pretty cool Benny! i like it! keep up the good work! Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367 Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367 Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367 Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367 Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 10/20/2009, 3:46 pm

ok benny now i gotta try that. using the french curve, you do the different colors on different spots on the plug correct? just keeping with the same general direction? looks cool never did flames. thanks again.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 10/20/2009, 5:51 pm

dozer 277 wrote:ok benny now i gotta try that. using the french curve, you do the different colors on different spots on the plug correct? just keeping with the same general direction? looks cool never did flames. thanks again.
Thats the idea, just picture each color as a seperate flame, some will cross other flames. It should wind up looking layered.

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 10/21/2009, 11:45 am

bennyraw wrote:I want to first thank Skippy for putting this together and I was honored to be asked to be a part of it. I know we've all learned a ton and really appreciate some of these great artists sharing some of their tricks. I also want to give credit to Salty Dog who built this really impressive blank to give me an easy canvas to work on, if you can't tell, this thing is massive.
:you da man: Welcome To SBO

There are allot of way's to do flames, some much more complicated than others. Mine are still very much a work in progress and I'm hoping to pick up some good tips from you guys but I'm going to share a simple way to portray the flame effect. I call this pattern Toasted Wonderbread and, as seems comon we'll start with a pearl white plug :) Next do the whole thing in a wonderbread pattern making sure to go light on your paint. I like to fog the whole thing in pearl white and then add some intermittent small silver pearl scales.
For the next step you'll need some stencil material, I like Frisket. Find some images of flames that you like, you can trace them if you like but I usually just draw them freehand and then cut them out with a razor. I'm using the positive image for this plug but for alot of flames I do the negative image works better so don't toss your scraps.
Stick your stencil on the plug carefully and mask off the rest of your plug.
Next I fog the whole plug in a very light pearl blue and then add a larger scale mesh and add some fairly thick pearl silver scales over that.
The next step is to shade the edges of your flame stencil in black, try to vary how light or dark you spray as you go.
Let everything dry, peel off your masking and you're done.
Hopefully this will be a good jumping off point for you guys.

TOASTED WONDER BREAD!!!! THATS HOT...... NO PUN INTENDED lol!
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 10/21/2009, 12:27 pm

thanks benny cant wait till i get home gonna try this on some darters. down side is i need to hit the beach also, oh what to do. not enough hours in the day.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Teddy 10/21/2009, 8:31 pm

Looking great Benny......Keep up the Badass work brother...!!!!!! Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367
Teddy
Teddy

Number of posts : 229

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 10/21/2009, 8:45 pm

Teddy wrote:Looking great Benny......Keep up the Badass work brother...!!!!!! Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367
Wow, a Teddy sighting cheers. I've still got your skull plug here and maybe another handcarve with your name on it.
Simple Flames............bennyraw 622665

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  Teddy 10/21/2009, 11:12 pm

Give me a yell and I'll swing by...........I had alot on my plate over the last few months...!!!!!! I'm back though...!!!!!! Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367
Teddy
Teddy

Number of posts : 229

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 10/27/2009, 9:22 am

Ok benny got my frisket film and french curve last night at michaels. was pretty comical trying to tell my wife i needed some framas film, finesse film, fuccini film. just couldnt remember the name. anyway hope to get started this week. got the plug base coated with black already so we will see.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 10/27/2009, 7:32 pm

Do it dozer, practice on a flat surface first Simple Flames............bennyraw 962367

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next