Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need input

4 posters

Go down

need input Empty need input

Post  dozer 277 7/29/2009, 8:08 pm

Ok guys i purchased a penn 975 from smoking joe. now i want to build a rod for this reel. its loaded with 25lb mono, i have only used it for livelining bunker this spring. it will be used from my buddies boat. for bass, tog, and some other wreck trips. i think its too heavy for fluke so i have others for that. i was online looking at kits since this is my first complete build. i'm thinking 7, or 7.5 ft. any suggestions are appreciated. also if any builders on here would put all the components together for me to build i would like to do that. (keep the money close to home) i would like to keep it around $100-$150. thanks again, oh i'm thinking soft tip but with some backbone.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

need input Empty Re: need input

Post  fish factor 7/31/2009, 10:18 am

take a ride to Bogans in Briel they have it all and will be more than happy to help
you out they have one off the better selections around
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  captainmidnight 7/31/2009, 11:47 am

Dozer,

I reccomend a SEEKER CLB708 which is 7' 15-30lbs......a great Tog, seabass, B/F and Eeling rod, sensativity and a backbone

Captain Midnight
captainmidnight
captainmidnight

Number of posts : 163

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 7/31/2009, 2:05 pm

captain that is the blank part # i assume? is this redily available? or must i order online? does bogans carry these blanks? guess i could just call them huh? :idea: i hope to be down there next week maybe i'll just stop in. that is exactly the action i'm looking for, thanks for the replies guys. i'll keep you posted.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  captainmidnight 7/31/2009, 3:25 pm

Dozer,

Yes thats the Blank#. If you can't find it at Bogans, let me know, I can have one shipped to you direct......will check price on Monday. Let me know.

Sean
captainmidnight
captainmidnight

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 8/2/2009, 4:09 pm

captain i found it online for around $130 plus shipping. bogans website is under construction so not too much help there. let me know how much it is shipped from you and we'll talk. i am a real rookie but i def want to do this so i'll need all the pieces and alot of guidance. what's your thoughts on these rods where the guides are staggered around the rod 180 degrees so at the tip they are on the bottom? looks weird any benefits? thanks again for the help. also not sure what guides to use there are way too many choices. they all look good.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  captainmidnight 8/2/2009, 4:26 pm

The blank from me would probably be around $100 shipped or maybe even less....won't know until tommorrow, as for other components, you can PM me and let me know what style handle your looking at ( EVA, cork, tuff butt, etc.,) guides and thread( however I reccomend you buy the threasd locally at any sporting goods store that sells rod building components). As for tyhe "torque" style of wrapping guides...it looks cool, considered having one made myself, but if your just beginning in rod building.....stick with the old standard.

Sean
captainmidnight
captainmidnight

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 8/3/2009, 5:29 pm

sean thanks for the reply. i am definately interested and looking for eva grips and i dont want a trigger grip on the reel seat. you are right i dont want to try the fancy guide setup. i'll stick to the traditional setup. from what i've read this is a honey colored blank. thread i can get at a local store. if you can put together the blank, grips, reel seat and guides that would be great. just let me know how to pay you. i will look online and give you some ideas of guides and i will look at this tuffbutt and i will pm you. i dont want to get too fancy but i really want to make my own rod. this will be a great project for the fall since the wife and i will be empty nesters for the first time in 18 years. i can just hide in the garage LOL

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 8/3/2009, 6:23 pm

ok i went online and now i'm in worse shape than before. the tuffgrip looks like the way to go and the fuji concept sic guides are the style i want. BHNNG the pacific bay woven graphite reel seat in stainless. not sure what is used on the foregrip if you use the tuffgrip tho. way too many choices. also if i'm not mistaken the tuffgrip comes with a gimbal also. I'M SO CONFUSED. oh well that is why i'm asking, i figure you can steer me in the right direction. any info will be a great help. thanks larry

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  captainmidnight 8/3/2009, 7:04 pm

Larry,

No worries First the blank is black on the Seeker CLB708........Im gonna recomend the Stuart Tuff-Butt......This has a stainless reel seat(also available in black or black/gold) and a slick butt section and a gimbal( which u can put a gimbal cap on) for a fore grip a 6" "mooseskin" foregrip works.......8 guides...I would reccomend the Fugi SIC HNLG or the Hardaloy BHNLG sizes 20, 16, 12, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 and a UST SIC tip #8.

A friend and Master Builder turned me on to using the Tuff-Butts as they stand up superbly. They are also great for a beginning rod builder, because all you have to do is epoxy the whole set up on the rod and then the gimbal...makes life alot easier.

The blank will be $100 shipped to you, if interested I can give you a quote on the rest also.

Sean
captainmidnight
captainmidnight

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 8/3/2009, 8:10 pm

sean i just found the exact rod on mudhole it gives the same info you just stated. a little more info on the slickbutt since i've never had one. and yes all the components you listed are the same as his article it also gives a starting point for guide spacing. yes please quote me for all the components you have listed and we will move forward with this. again thank you for all your patience and willingness to help me. the article is from al goldberg. he seems to love that blank for this application. thanks again larry sorry probobly the hardalloy guides and tip would work.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 8/3/2009, 9:22 pm

sean the only fear i have is the stuart tuff butt with an aluminum reel seat might get heavy for a day of blackfishing. could you price it out with a graphite reel seat and hypalon grips as well. i'm thinking a 14 inch butt grip and a 6-7 inch foregrip. sorry to be a pain just trying to learn as much as i can. thanks again.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 8/5/2009, 2:36 pm

you can go with a plastic slick butt and pacbay reel seat allum that would be lighter
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  mike garone 8/18/2009, 6:15 pm

captainmidnight wrote:Larry,

No worries First the blank is black on the Seeker CLB708........Im gonna recomend the Stuart Tuff-Butt......This has a stainless reel seat(also available in black or black/gold) and a slick butt section and a gimbal( which u can put a gimbal cap on) for a fore grip a 6" "mooseskin" foregrip works.......8 guides...I would reccomend the Fugi SIC HNLG or the Hardaloy BHNLG sizes 20, 16, 12, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 and a UST SIC tip #8.

A friend and Master Builder turned me on to using the Tuff-Butts as they stand up superbly. They are also great for a beginning rod builder, because all you have to do is epoxy the whole set up on the rod and then the gimbal...makes life alot easier.

The blank will be $100 shipped to you, if interested I can give you a quote on the rest also.

Sean

I like that blank, but I would recommend staying away from a tuff butt for this application. I love them for heavier rods like party boat tuna rail rods, trolling rods and bunker spoon rods but they will make the rod much heavier. Also if you plan on using the rod in the fall and winter for stripers and tog you will not like a metal reel seat (which the tuff butt has). I made this mistake on one of my first rods. I put a metal seat on and it looked sweet (blue to match an avet) but when it is cold that seat makes your hand alot colder andcan make your fishing experience miserable. I only use this rod in the summer now.

I personally like Fuji DPSH seat (I have used these on tuna jigging rods and strength is not an issue unless you crank down the lugs WAYYYYYYY too much).

I would also go with a lighter frame guide. I like SIC but that doesnt seem in your budget (and SIC isn't really needed for your application either). I would go with BMNAG (black frame) or CLNAG (chrome frame) alconite ring guide. I use the same framed guide with SIC rings on tuna jigging and chunking rods so strength is not an issue.

I know this is your first rod but I am going to disagree and say go for the spiral wrap. You will enjoy fishing with the rod much more. If you have any questions send me a PM. I am pretty close by so if you need help setting up the guides for this or anything else I could meet up with you and help you out.
mike garone
mike garone

Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 8/19/2009, 7:29 pm

thanks mike i will definately take you up on that. and yes i was concerned with the tuffbut also i think i'm gonna go for the fuji reel seat and the guides im still up for recommendations. i've only seen pictures of the spiral guide setup. looks cool just would like to try one first. its gonna be a learning curve either way just want to build this rod for the new reel. i've been practicing with different colors and wrap designs and think i came up with what i'm gonna try. just need to practice before i do it for keeps.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down