Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10

5 posters

Go down

Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10 Empty Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10

Post  Fish Hawk 10/11/2010, 5:20 pm

10/9 - Plan was to chunk bunker for bass. Called the marina to reserve bait and if there was any to be had we would surely get it. Only problem was, there was none to be caught. Both netters had nothing but perch in their nets....bummer. Atleast we still could get shedder crab. So toggin and drummin was the plan. Left the dock little after 8 caught the last bit of the incoming tide. Had a new moon on thrusday which made fishing little off. Tide was running extremely hard, and more of a N-S rather then NW-SE. Setup at the drum grounds and waited, and waited and waited. Lost a few fish due to tackle errors Embarassed but finally came through with a 19" tog roughly 4lbs.

Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10 DSC02431

This fish was caught at the top of the tide on shedder crab. Tide died out, made a slight move and setup for the outgoing. Quitting time was 230. Had to be back at the dock and to the local seafood store to get pops his oysters before they closed. Had a bunch of tiny light bites, but no hook ups. At exactly 226 hooked up with somthing that felt nice. Got it boatside and it was 25" puppy drum cheers

Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10 DSC02430

By 233 we were underway and headed back to the marina. I knew if we stuck it out, we would be rewarded! way to save the day.
Got to the seafood store half hour before they closed and everyone was happy.

10/10 - Called down the marina to see if anyone had brought in some fresh bunker. Bruce told me that one netter was out tending his nets and would be back shortly. 30 mins later got call from bruce saying hes got 9 fresh bunker. Told him ill take all of them and a dozen shedders. Off went to an area by the channel and setup for bass. First attempt to drop anchor didnt work. Next attempt hooked up, but was off set alittle bit. Went to got pull up the anchor and was snagged on a "cable" Embarassed figured fish the incoming, wait till the current dies and then try to free the anchor. Well, again had tackle errors(30lb and 60lb pp snapped upon hook sets) waited the tide out went to try to free the anchor and could not for life me get it free. So minus one 16lb anchor and chain got as much rode in as possible. Have a spare anchor on board with spare rode, but no chain. So anchoring in deep water was out of the question. Made a move south towards the drum grounds which is in shallower water. Dropped anchor hooked up and was fishing. One line had bunker chunk, the other had crab. Riss's rod takes off(bunker chunk) gave it a 5 second count. Soon as she goes to pick it out the holder the fish drops the bait. confused
Had a few more runs and taps but no commitment. I was fishing with shedder and managed to get one small bass. Next up riss finally hooks up with a 20" bass. That was it. Temps were in the mid 60's and weather was great. Fish just werent hungry. Did have some bluefish chomp at our baits but nothing connected. Soon enough it will start Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10 962367
Fish Hawk
Fish Hawk

Number of posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10 Empty Re: Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10

Post  stevel 10/11/2010, 6:15 pm

great rport..... Fish Hawk Report 10/9 - 10/10 870783
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  erickoch 10/11/2010, 6:29 pm

thanks for the report. i hope to get out this saturday. its been too long.
erickoch
erickoch

Number of posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  lagerhelps 10/11/2010, 9:49 pm

How many baits to you get out of a crab when you are fishing for drum? I have only used crab when fishing for bait and used pretty small pieces on a #4 hook. I assume they go for bigger baits on a bigger hook.

lagerhelps

Number of posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish Hawk 10/12/2010, 7:41 am

Thanks guys. We might be sitting this weekend coming up out, got some obligations. I just noticed i posted the pic of the tog twice, ill have to fix that Embarassed

Tom - Earlier in the season when the bite was really good we used small peices of shedder. Id get about 6 peices out of one bait. Now that its later in the season, ive been using whole and half crabs with the shell still intact. I use 2/0 - 3/0 wide gap(english style) hooks on 30lb fluro leader. Key is to have a short leader keep the bait on the bottom.
Fish Hawk
Fish Hawk

Number of posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  lagerhelps 10/12/2010, 3:12 pm

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it'll be all chunking and livelining real soon..

lagerhelps

Number of posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  liveforfishing 10/12/2010, 6:35 pm

Hey Tom

Still early yet, nothing but shorts for me on Sat. I was amazed that no bunker was to be had, we did score some at the Girls Place. Be seeing out there this fall. Thanks for the report.
liveforfishing
liveforfishing

Number of posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down