Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

advice on a rod and reel for a 11 year old

+3
Kevnmary
Oldsalts
edm66
7 posters

Go down

advice on a rod and reel for a 11 year old Empty advice on a rod and reel for a 11 year old

Post  edm66 10/17/2009, 8:26 am

was wondering if you guys and gals have any reccomendations for a rod and reel setup(surf,bait&plugs) for my 11 year old son and maybe
even a sponsor ?thank you Hay Bluefish (jeff) nice meeting you and thanks for the teasers & this site,Ed

edm66

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

advice on a rod and reel for a 11 year old Empty Re: advice on a rod and reel for a 11 year old

Post  Oldsalts 10/17/2009, 10:22 am

edm66 wrote:was wondering if you guys and gals have any reccomendations for a rod and reel setup(surf,bait&plugs) for my 11 year old son and maybe
even a sponsor ?thank you Hay Bluefish (jeff) nice meeting you and thanks for the teasers & this site,Ed

Hey Ed

Welcome to the site ......And Jeff makes some awesome sutff , thanks for spreading the word of SBO ...!!!

I would ask Val ( a Sponcer here.... Val@Oceanside ) and see what she has and would recomend for him...

Good luck

Ed
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

advice on a rod and reel for a 11 year old Empty Re: advice on a rod and reel for a 11 year old

Post  Kevnmary 10/17/2009, 11:26 am

Ed
I would start him out with a good cheap all purpose rod that can throw ligt weight stuff up to maybe 2 oz. My son has a nice Tsunami (3 piece) that I even use occassionally.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  edm66 10/17/2009, 12:04 pm

thanks guys

edm66

Back to top Go down

Post  The Surfrat 10/17/2009, 2:11 pm

Get a 9ft combo from one of your local tackle shops. You might pay more than at one of the mega stores but you will get better service and you would be helping your local economy.
The Surfrat
The Surfrat

Number of posts : 84

http://www.baysideanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 10/17/2009, 10:34 pm

edm66 wrote:was wondering if you guys and gals have any reccomendations for a rod and reel setup(surf,bait&plugs) for my 11 year old son and maybe
Same here Ed. ,good luck with the rod.

Jeff
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 10/18/2009, 4:54 pm

Is he a big kid or little????This will make a difference.Probablly something 8-9 ft a spinning set-up.might be easier with an 8 foot for throwin plugs.9' rod for bait!!!!The tsunami airwaves are good rods.Shimano has some good reels,so does Quantum.I would also have the 11 yr old hold the rod B4 you buy so you can check out fit.

FC

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Val@Oceanside 10/20/2009, 8:01 am

Hi Ed,

First off welcome, great site and great folks! Except for a guy names Rob Lymen, stay aways from him homo

I would go with a 9ft. tica tc2...For his age it would serve alot of purposes. as far a the reel goes.....
BG20 or 30 fits nice. and they go for 82.99. or a Quantum boca 30. But thats alittle pricey. Two more questions I should know, Your price range and how big he is. I know some Big 11 year olds that throw a 12ft heaver! LOL.

Call me or stop in we can go over your options in more detail.
609-362-9800

Thanks - Tight Lines!
Val
Val@Oceanside
Val@Oceanside
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 311

Back to top Go down

Post  edm66 10/21/2009, 1:46 pm

Hi Val, as far as a rod I think a 9' would do him fine (he is average size for his age ) and the reels you suggested sound fine I should be in your area hopefully over the weekend Thanks Ed

edm66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down