Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

conventional reel

+4
SurfPlug
fish factor
Large John
plugfreek92
8 posters

Go down

conventional reel Empty conventional reel

Post  plugfreek92 3/15/2012, 1:56 am

alright im looking to get a new conventional reel as a bait reel. right now i have an old squidder but i want to get a upgrade. what doew everyone else use? what should i look for in a new reel? im open to suggestions as well.
plugfreek92
plugfreek92

Number of posts : 62

Back to top Go down

conventional reel Empty Re: conventional reel

Post  Large John 3/16/2012, 9:41 pm

What rod are you going to pair it with? I use the Diawa SHV's or SL series conventional....have one of each on size 20 and 30.

Centrifugal braking system, plenty of line capacity, good drags. Caught plenty of good fish on them.

I have the 30's mated to a Ocean Master 12 heavy and a Rainshadow 1509. The one 20 is on a 10 Ocean Master teh other is my toggin reel.

I can throw 12 and bait on the big rods if needed
Large John
Large John

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  plugfreek92 3/16/2012, 9:58 pm

probally gonna be on a 10 foot and gonna throw like 2-6
plugfreek92
plugfreek92

Back to top Go down

Post  Large John 3/17/2012, 7:17 pm

The Diawa SHV or SL 20 would probably be best, a Penn 525 would work also. Cant speak to any other conventional
Large John
Large John

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 3/18/2012, 10:35 pm

i like my abu 6500 rocket for plugs and my abu 7000 they last a long time trouble free
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  SurfPlug 3/19/2012, 8:42 pm

The old Abu 7500C3CT reels are great for bait and casting a long ways past the breakers.

SurfPlug

Number of posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  plugfreek92 3/20/2012, 12:08 am

ALRIGHT i have a coupel other questions would it be better to go with a level wind or non level wind cause i plan on using it as a bait reel but occasionally use it to throw some heavy metals later in the year..
plugfreek92
plugfreek92

Back to top Go down

Post  SurfPlug 3/20/2012, 8:52 pm

It depends on your comfort level with levelwind or open face. I always favored the narrow spool 6500 CT reels over the levelwinds. Years back I got splashed and some sand particles made contact with the worm of the levelwind.

SurfPlug

Back to top Go down

Post  Large John 3/20/2012, 10:23 pm

I prefer a non levelwind, that being said I only use my conventionals for bait fishing. All my plug/metal fishing I do with spinners.

I could throw with my conventionals but dont really see the need. If I had an ABU with a level wind I probably would use it for metals when the need arises
Large John
Large John

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 3/21/2012, 12:16 pm

i give the conventional guys alot of credit. i tried to jump into the conv. game last year. found a 525 mag reasonable price. spooled it with braid, rigged it with 8 and bait, wound up and POOF, got the biggest birds nest i have ever seen. could barely see the reel. long story short, it went back in the truck and now its a massachusetts cod fishing reel. oh and it has new braid on it as i didnt stand a chance trying to untangle it. guess i dont have the patience for that game. but from what ive read its a good reel for surf fishing. might be looking to get rid of it soon. picked up a canyon HS-15 to get more use from the reel. 33lbs of drag makes it great for NJ inshore tuna.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  Large John 3/21/2012, 9:40 pm

dozer 277 wrote:i give the conventional guys alot of credit. i tried to jump into the conv. game last year. found a 525 mag reasonable price. spooled it with braid, rigged it with 8 and bait, wound up and POOF, got the biggest birds nest i have ever seen. could barely see the reel. long story short, it went back in the truck and now its a massachusetts cod fishing reel. oh and it has new braid on it as i didnt stand a chance trying to untangle it. guess i dont have the patience for that game. but from what ive read its a good reel for surf fishing. might be looking to get rid of it soon. picked up a canyon HS-15 to get more use from the reel. 33lbs of drag makes it great for NJ inshore tuna.

Starting off with braid is jumping the learning curve on a conventional,IMO, when I switched over I bought a large spool of elcheapo 20lb mono and took the outfit to the local field and cast until I felt comfortable and wasnt picking out serious backlashes constantly. Braid is expensive and very hard to pick apart when you zing pow a cast.

I have one conventional spoooled with braid, mostly use that for tog only occasionally use it for bass

keep in mind I cut my conventional teeth so to speak fishing for red drum in hatteras where braid is very much frowned upon
Large John
Large John

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 3/22/2012, 11:51 am

yeah john, im sure i could have approached that differently, but being a guy in my little mind i can do anything right? WRONG. i use braid for all my wreck fishing and drift fishing with conventionals. not really casting so it works. in hindsight the field idea would have been a better way to start. i havent given up yet, just going to approach it a little differently. i see you are from york pa. my daughter is just finishing up school there. i was wondering if you are the guy i bought a jig mold from? i asked her to pick it up for me from a guy who lived in york.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Large John 3/25/2012, 8:20 pm

No I am not that guy, small world however my wife and her family are from Flemington NJ.
Large John
Large John

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsalts 3/25/2012, 9:10 pm

dozer 277 wrote:yeah john, im sure i could have approached that differently, but being a guy in my little mind i can do anything right? WRONG. i use braid for all my wreck fishing and drift fishing with conventionals. not really casting so it works. in hindsight the field idea would have been a better way to start. i havent given up yet, just going to approach it a little differently. i see you are from york pa. my daughter is just finishing up school there. i was wondering if you are the guy i bought a jig mold from? i asked her to pick it up for me from a guy who lived in york.

Lucky You Larry...LOL
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 4/6/2012, 11:36 am

large john. very small world huh? i have lived in flemington all my life so i prob. know the wifes family. Ed its great to finally see light at the end of the tunnel. i may actually have some money soon. right now im looking at a vega lathe and a duplicator. gotta get the boss to buy off on it first tho.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaff It 4/17/2012, 9:00 pm

I had a Penn Mag 525 and really didn't like it. I bought it used. Didn't seem like it worked right for me. I now own two Penn Squalls, a 12 and a 15. I bought those new and love them.

Gaff It

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 4/18/2012, 1:05 pm

yeah i have moved the 525mag to the tog rod and will attempt casting with it at a later date. maybe if i sell it i can afford another type but for right now my canyon 6500 spinning reel kinda ended the reel purchases for a while.

dozer 277

Back to top Go down

Post  Freddy 4mcola 6/6/2012, 10:36 am

Love conventional reels on the surf, I started fishing with conventional reels a long time ago my 1st reel was a surfmaster, still have it. I tried braid on them and it just does not work for me, too many backlashes and they are hard to get out especially at night
Freddy 4mcola
Freddy 4mcola

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post  SurfPlug 6/6/2012, 9:50 pm

I like Abu reels in general. For me it the old 7500C3CT matched with a Lami 1502. I think you can still find those reels around. I just sold one on another board before hearing the good news about SBO.

SurfPlug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down