Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on a Daiwa Luna 300 conventional reel

+2
rocstar21
wink_man
6 posters

Go down

Opinions on a Daiwa Luna 300 conventional reel Empty Opinions on a Daiwa Luna 300 conventional reel

Post  wink_man 5/18/2010, 5:13 pm

I'm looking for a new conventional reel for one of my custom graphite rods.

I've always used Abu Garcia conventionals with good results, but was looking at a Daiwa Luna 300 today, and it seems to be one heck of a reel, but I have no experience with them, nor do I know anyone who uses them. They are also just a wee bit more pricey than an Abu Garcia, so I'd love to hear any input(good or bad) as far as realtime experience with them.

I will do a LOT of casting with this outfit, in the Point Pleasant Canal, and various other sundry places, so I'm looking for a reel that casts like a dream, absolutely reliably, and has the beef to handle large stripers, either on land casting and retreiving lures, or in a boat doing the same, or snagging bunker, jigging etc. This will be mainly a striper rod as I said above, and I'm looking for a quality reel that will last me a long time. I use my equipment a lot, 5 to 6 days(or nights) is average for me duing the season.

This particular reel seems to fit what I'm looking for as far as weight of the reel, max drag, etc. The reel has a total weight of 12.9 ounces and a shade over 15 lbs. of maximim drag and will hold about 260 yards of 65 LB. braid.

If you are going to recommend another reel over it, I also would like to hear your input also, just understand the reel you recommend must be a levelwind and have a casting thumbar, or I can't live with it.

Thanks guys.
wink_man
wink_man

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Opinions on a Daiwa Luna 300 conventional reel Empty Re: Opinions on a Daiwa Luna 300 conventional reel

Post  rocstar21 5/18/2010, 5:48 pm

its a great reel for the money........

I am shimano man though! have ya check out and of them???? take a look at fishshimano.com and see what you like......... then check ebay! I been getting some really killer deal on there!
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Opinions on a Daiwa Luna 300 conventional reel Empty Re: Opinions on a Daiwa Luna 300 conventional reel

Post  wink_man 5/18/2010, 6:21 pm

Roc,
I compared this Luna to a Calcutta, side by side in the store, and I felt the Luna beat the Calcutta hands down. Lighter, better built thumbar, nicer handle and much smoother. Also compared it to an Abu Garcia 6600 C4 while I was there, and no comparison. I have a couple of Abu Garcia 6600 C5 Mag X's which are superb(and no longer made), and this reel has them beat from what I can see without actually using it.
wink_man
wink_man

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 5/19/2010, 6:30 pm

then go for it Wink! as long as you have handled it and at the store and compared it to others......... if it feels good in your hands then do it to it bro! its the best way to make a decision in my book! go get em bro! good luck w/ it.
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 5/19/2010, 6:34 pm

hey, pm bassmaster rubes!

he had a 300L used once! wants to sell it for 150 bux or trade I think???? as far as I know he still has it..........

save some cash for gear cheers
rocstar21
rocstar21

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 5/19/2010, 6:46 pm

I am an abu man can't kill 6500 rocket with a power handle
and cheap to repair Just my input
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatbaits 5/25/2010, 10:51 am

I have no brand loyalty however both of my daiwa millionaires outlasted both of my calcuttas. One of my local tackle shops has a good supply of daiwa parts, I was able to buy 2 power cranks for my daiwas. I have to order shimano parts.
Greatbaits
Greatbaits

Number of posts : 101

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Popper 5/26/2010, 9:38 am

do you need the level winder if not how about a avet they are killer reels and are fairly cheep the sx weighs 15 oz for the maged cast control and has 15 lbs of drag it casts like a dream and is still made in the good ol usa.they are built like a brick **** house check them out they wont disappoint you. they are allso a great boat reel too ive seen the maged one for 190 and the non cast controll for ilke 155
Doc Popper
Doc Popper
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 244

Back to top Go down

Post  bassmaster rubes 5/28/2010, 10:11 am

i have a luna if u still want it ill give u an awsome price
bassmaster rubes
bassmaster rubes

Number of posts : 139

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1157307379

Back to top Go down

Post  bassmaster rubes 6/2/2010, 1:34 am

i have the reel you are looking for...pm me
bassmaster rubes
bassmaster rubes

Number of posts : 139

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=1157307379

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatbaits 6/2/2010, 9:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Greatbaits
Greatbaits

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatbaits 6/4/2010, 9:56 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Greatbaits
Greatbaits

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down