Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long does it take you to build?

4 posters

Go down

How long does it take you to build? Empty How long does it take you to build?

Post  Muskyslayer96 6/12/2011, 7:07 am

Just curious about building time.

I've been making just lathe turned plugs for the past couple of batches (I'm a freshwater fisherman so usually make a lit if jerk bait/gliders). I know I build slow, I'm pretty anal as I get really frustrated when things don't work out at the end of a build and I feel like I rushed, or skipped a step (still learning a lot about building) How long does it take you all to turn, and prep lets say a dozen swimmers? For example:
Yesterday I turned a dozen swimmer blanks, using my redneck, homemade duplicator. Cut the lips, sanded, drilled the eyes, sanded, drilled the hook holders/through wire (some will be through wire, some screw eyed), cut and shaped he ends, sanded, sealed, wiped down and hung to dry. Now they have dried over night. ready for first clear coat and primer then a test dip.

Pretty much took me all day. I haven't made any jigs yet as I'm still testing and figuring out my favorite styles and sizes (probably a big part of the problem). Does that seem like an exceptionally long time? I still consider myself wet behind the ears, especially with the lathe and plugs.

Thanks guys

MS

How long does it take you to build? Dup
How long does it take you to build? Download37
Muskyslayer96
Muskyslayer96

Number of posts : 391

http://irishwhipesoxbaits.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

How long does it take you to build? Empty Re: How long does it take you to build?

Post  smitty 6/12/2011, 10:41 am

well sounds to me like your doing pretty good to have all that done in one day.

I found over the years if i want to keep a steady flow going and not to feel rushed i would do a few days of just turning at a steady pace this way i have a bunch ready for the next steps....After i started to drill and seal i would just turn a few more to fill the stock back up...you will be amazed at how many you will build and how little time spent on the lathe or other steps in building takes.
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

How long does it take you to build? Empty Re: How long does it take you to build?

Post  FJR 6/12/2011, 2:03 pm

This time of year it seems like it takes me forever to get anything done lol! busy with so many other things. Normally I figure it takes me about a month to get a batch done, a batch being 6 - 12 plugs. I don't like doing 10 -12 of the same kind of plug at once, usually do 2 of each til I have enough in the batch. I like to give everything plenty of time to dry between steps. It's for fun, no hurry, no pressure, doesn't matter how long it takes !!!! That's why I stopped doing swaps, I don't enjoy doing 10 -15 plugs all the same with a time limit.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 7/4/2011, 12:16 pm

[quote="FJR"]This time of year it seems like it takes me forever to get anything done lol! busy with so many other things. Normally I figure it takes me about a month to get a batch done, a batch being 6 - 12 plugs. I don't like doing 10 -12 of the same kind of plug at once, usually do 2 of each til I have enough in the batch. I like to give everything plenty of time to dry between steps. It's for fun, no hurry, no pressure, doesn't matter how long it takes !!!! That's why I stopped doing swaps, I don't enjoy doing 10 -15 plugs all the same with a time limit.[/quote

Amen. I build between 50 and seventy five plugs a year. Mostly in the winter when I'm not fishing. Most are given to friends or donated to good causes. Have never sold a plug or participated in a swap. The pressure to finish would make plug building feel like work and I retired from that 3 years ago. I take my time and make sure the plugs are dry before the next step........I lied, I did do some swaps with Stevel.....]
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down