Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The other way to build a bait...

+4
skippy
etch
Alphabaits
fatfingers
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The other way to build a bait... Empty The other way to build a bait...

Post  fatfingers 2/28/2010, 5:06 pm

In 2008, I made a few molds so I could 'pour' my baits from resin or foam instead of making each one by hand from a piece of timber.

This afternoon, I went down to the basement and broke out all that stuff and poured a few baits.

I know rowhunter pours a few now and then. Etch too? Anybody else make baits from molds?

Me? I've done it, but every time I do, I keep asking myself if its worth the time. It seems as though they take almost as long if you count all the time and mold making and all that.

I'll post a few pictures later of the few baits I made today. I like to let them "fume out" and cure for about a month or even more before I actually begin painting and assembly. If you don't they seem to be tough to cover with epoxy.

More later....
fatfingers
fatfingers

Number of posts : 171

Back to top Go down

The other way to build a bait... Empty Re: The other way to build a bait...

Post  fatfingers 3/1/2010, 10:19 pm

Here's a shot of the bodies I poured Saturday...

I'll post pictures of what they look like finished later. I have a few finished from 2009 that I can post so you can get a better idea of what they look like.

I'll explain the molding process to if there is any interest. It's interesting.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/1/2010, 10:38 pm

Here' s couple from 2009

fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  Alphabaits 3/1/2010, 10:48 pm

I've tried several times. My early ones were nightmares. Here are some needles I did this winter.

These came out nice I thought. Alot easier than my previous efforts. Have to thank Douglas for letting me pick his brain about alot of things. He was very generous with info. I would really like to get into it in alot more depth but like you said it is alot of time, $$$, and effort to make molds and buy materials.

Ted [The Greek}

Alphabaits

Number of posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/1/2010, 10:51 pm

Is it worth it to you? I mean, do you think you save any time compared to building them one at a time?

I'm still trying to figure that out.

Yours are beautiful. Very precise work!

How do you go about painting them? How do you seal them?
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  etch 3/2/2010, 11:45 am

fatfingers, greek, row hunter, etc all make it look so easy, i have never poured a bait my self, had a freind pour me of a few once, the start up costs, moulds, exact measurements, playing with mix ratios /formulas etc scare the crap out of me, lol, then like you and row have both stated, there is the de gassing time, then prep work on the plug, for pin holes ,blemishes etc, to get it ready to prime, i guess in my case being married, my hands are used to playing with my wood , for hours and not being bored The other way to build a bait... 56958 wow wow

Etch
etch
etch

Number of posts : 1193

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com/Etch-Custom-Lures-h2.htm

Back to top Go down

The other way to build a bait... Empty hmmm

Post  skippy 3/2/2010, 12:02 pm

fatfingers wrote:Here's a shot of the bodies I poured Saturday...

I'll post pictures of what they look like finished later. I have a few finished from 2009 that I can post so you can get a better idea of what they look like.

I'll explain the molding process to if there is any interest. It's interesting.
If there is any interest? youre kiddin right? USA

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowhunter 3/3/2010, 9:28 pm

FF when you get some time please elaborate on your process. And why the discoloration on those blanks? Is the lip slot part of your mold, and are you inserting the screw eyes in the mold or installing afterwards?
Ted, those needles look great I'm glad you got the process to work for you, are you planing on doing another mold? How about that slick darter/nike type shape you've been working on?

Douglas
Rowhunter
Rowhunter

Number of posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/3/2010, 9:35 pm

Douglas, I'm glad you jumped in here. Or maybe I'm not because I'll probably wind up dropping a pile of money on molding supplies after talking with you and my buddy, The Greek.

Yes, I put the screw eyes in prior to pouring. I usually put the tail screw eye in too, but I was a bit distracted while I was pouring these and I kept forgetting to put the tail screw eye in before I poured.

The lip slot was cut into the original when I made the mold and I have to tell you, I was very please with the tolerances you get from doing it that way. The lips line up perfect and fit nice and snug, just the way you like 'em.

The discolored bait was the first one I poured and I forgot to throw in a shot glass full of micro-balloons. That one is going to be a countdown bait. Very Happy

The rest are a function of the resin I was using, which is NOT alumilite. You guys use alumilite and its pretty much ready to prime right out of the mold?
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

The other way to build a bait... Empty wow..

Post  skippy 3/3/2010, 10:30 pm

excuse me cool my new favorite thread,,, please carry on :read:

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Alphabaits 3/3/2010, 10:49 pm

Rowhunter wrote:FF when you get some time please elaborate on your process. And why the discoloration on those blanks? Is the lip slot part of your mold, and are you inserting the screw eyes in the mold or installing afterwards?
Ted, those needles look great I'm glad you got the process to work for you, are you planing on doing another mold? How about that slick darter/nike type shape you've been working on?

Douglas

Douglas, I plan on making a mold for that exact bait. I have reworked the tail on it and I'm having a bit better luck with them doing what I want. I just got some more AYC and I am turning some stuff and have you on the list for one. I have not forgot.

Ted

Alphabaits

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowhunter 3/3/2010, 11:12 pm

Ted that is so sweet, that little plug has curves in all the right places! Have you tried the two piece mold? With that new one it sure would be nice fully sealed, don't you agree?

Vince, the Alumalite has been working good ,my problem occurs when I need to sand parting lines. It seems if I sand a little too far I'll begin to see tiny holes. Then I'll fill with spot filler and have to sand again. Like Porky say's " Be vaawee, vaawee caafull." Sometimes I think keeping the detail to a minimum and hit it with epoxy after de-gassing might eliminate problems for me, and give me a smooth pallet.

Douglas
Rowhunter
Rowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/3/2010, 11:23 pm

Not sure what you mean by 'parting lines.'

Is it some kind of detail that you decided to add after the fact? Or is it that you want to exaggerate the details you already have? Or did I tawt I taw a putty tat? (Sorry, I always loved Looney Tunes).

How long are you setting them aside to "gas out?" I go about a month just to be sure.
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  Alphabaits 3/3/2010, 11:35 pm

I would love to be able to pour these and not have to worry about getting that slope just right on the band saw. I still can't figure out a jig that would help me do it. I too had some issues with my primer getting pin holes and not getting full coverage. I first tried krylon fusion in a flat white to prime thinking I would get good coverage and adhesion with the plastic paint. It was bad, so bad that I could not even paint them . I had to strip them down with VLT and reprime. I went back to the automotive primer I regularly use and had no issues. Can't tell you if they gassed off in the time in between the two primings or the other primer was the answer.

My problem with the two part mold on these is my weighting point is not on a hanger and I need it as close to the skin of the bait as possible for these to run right. I'm not sure I can pull it off in a two peice mold with the weight on the harness if you know what I mean. Was thinking of just leaving an open hole for my weight and adding it later but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of pouring them in my book. I want to pull a bait out of a mold and have to do nothing to it.

Alphabaits

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/3/2010, 11:49 pm

I want to pull a bait out of a mold and have to do nothing to it.

Ahhh, a man after my own heart. I know what you mean.

If you mold the bait in with the lip slot already cut and you include the screw eyes in, you'll get those steps out of the way.

Let me dig into my photobucket archives to see if I can find the picture of how I weight mine using the screw eyes as a post.

In my best Ahhhnold:

Alll be back.
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/3/2010, 11:58 pm

Here's a shot of how I put both weights and rattles into the Threadfin Shad....

The bottom screw eye (belly hook hanger) holds a piece of lead of the proper weight. I simply drill the lead and screw it onto the screw eye. Then I bend the screw eye so that it can neither unscrew or twist in place. It is not coming out.

Above that you see a tube. The tube comes from an acid brush handle. I cut off a small piece throw a few bb's inside and then plug both ends with sanding sealer. I use a rubber band to attach it to the bent part of the belly screw eye. I then screw the tail screw eye part way into the "rattle tube" to further support it till the pouring process is over.

Of course once the bait is poured the rattle and the screw eyes are forever sealed inside the bait.
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/4/2010, 12:00 am

Here's a shot of the weight/rattle tube/screw eyes assembly prior to insertion in the mold cavity:
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/4/2010, 12:02 am

Here's a shot of a silly old man having way too much fun dancing and pouring baits in his basement in the year 2008:
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/4/2010, 12:11 am

Just found this shot too:

That's a "Mojo" weight. Bass fisherman use them. Not to awfully hard to find.
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/4/2010, 12:12 am

Other stuff I use:
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowhunter 3/4/2010, 12:41 am

Parting lines, the line that is formed between the two halves of the mold, this line may be quite small but irritating to me! Thats a great set up for ballast ,hangers and rattle. I don't know about dancing there Vince, to me it looks like the aftermath of a seasoned pick slide into an A major open power chord. A classic air guitar maneuver! Nice mold box ,is it resin?

Douglas
Rowhunter
Rowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  fatfingers 3/4/2010, 6:09 am

Ah, now I know what you mean by parting lines. I get those too.

Also know the guitar reference. Still have a stratocaster and an old Fender Bassman amp up stairs in the closet.

wow
fatfingers
fatfingers

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowhunter 3/4/2010, 9:25 am

Ha, ha ,ha, I've got a few strats ,Les Paul, Guild JF-30 and some "to die for" basses. Yup, that closet just might explode! LOL!

Douglas
Rowhunter
Rowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  LaPala 3/4/2010, 2:24 pm

fatfingers wrote:Here's a shot of a silly old man having way too much fun dancing and pouring baits in his basement in the year 2008:
Hmm I see the right middle finger coming out from the rubber glove....... You must have been real happy The other way to build a bait... 56958
LaPala
LaPala

Number of posts : 47

http://www.fishcarverunderground.com/

Back to top Go down

The other way to build a bait... Empty hey

Post  skippy 3/4/2010, 8:06 pm

Les Paul for me, The other way to build a bait... 622665

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next