Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG problem, any ideas?

3 posters

Go down

BIG problem, any ideas? Empty BIG problem, any ideas?

Post  Muskyslayer96 2/9/2011, 11:20 pm

Hey guys,

I have a big problem, I sealed about 20 baits for the first time using the PVC pipe method and I went to put a coat of E-tex on them and it fish eyed all over crazy weird. I seal my baits with a 60/40 mix of sanding sealer/lacquer thinner. I have always just thrown the baits in the paint can. this time I build some PVC tubes to make the job a little easier. After the baits are sealed I always let them dry completely and then sand them and wipe them down with some denatured alcohol before hitting them with a thin coat of E-tex to give me a glassy smooth surface to prime and paint.
I'm thinking there may have been some residual oils in the PVC pipe that soaked into the wood? Any ideas?
I know it wasn't the etex because I grabbed a biat I still had laying around from the can sealing and the same batch of E-tex went on perfectly.
I would love to get some comments on how to proceed. My thoughts would be to prime the baits first and hopefully that covers whats causing the problem and then proceed with the E-tex again?

Thanks in advance,

MS
Muskyslayer96
Muskyslayer96

Number of posts : 391

http://irishwhipesoxbaits.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

BIG problem, any ideas? Empty Re: BIG problem, any ideas?

Post  seaviewer 2/10/2011, 9:48 am

It might be a reaction with the pvc and lacquer thinner. Try pouring some fresh lacquer thinner into a new piece of pvc and see if anything happens.

seaviewer

Number of posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 2/10/2011, 10:10 am

SEAVIEWER wad up yo! its HANDY.............well i have to agree lacquer .......yep the lacquer is breakin down the pvc good call seaviewer..........say muskie why dont you use your sealer stright up waterlux marine just give it 24hrs + drying time.......good luck muskie

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down