Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surf tops

+7
JakeF
On The Rocks
LamiglasMike
holymackeral
tom1276
Bluesfish
stevel
11 posters

Go down

surf tops Empty surf tops

Post  stevel 3/3/2010, 9:49 am

ok this is the last piece of fishing gear i need......a good surf top to keep me dry in the surf..... surf tops 870783

just wondering what I should get anyone have a good suggestions .....thanks..... confused confused confused
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

surf tops Empty Re: surf tops

Post  Bluesfish 3/3/2010, 10:12 am

Yo Stevel,
Don't know if this will work for you confused , but it sure works for her wow wow lol! lol! lol!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a snowbee works fine.

Bluesfish surf tops 962367
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  tom1276 3/3/2010, 10:19 am

Aquaskinz Phantom. Hands down. I tried one on @ Fishermen's supply in Pt. Pleasant the other day. I tried on the Nor Easter as well.... The phantom is the way to go.
tom1276
tom1276

Number of posts : 572

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 3/3/2010, 10:28 am

Bluesfish wrote:Yo Stevel,
Don't know if this will work for you confused , but it sure works for her wow wow lol! lol! lol!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a snowbee works fine.

Bluesfish surf tops 962367
surf tops 56958 surf tops 56958 NICE TOP JEFF LOOKING FOR SOMETHING A LITTLE BIGGER ... lol! lol!
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 3/3/2010, 10:37 am

this may help you buddy.... i posted this up a few weeks ago or so. cause i'm looking to get drytops for me and the bro. i'm starting to shy away from the aquaskins. but i'm still looking at the kayaking stuff i've seen.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  LamiglasMike 3/3/2010, 7:25 pm

Hey Steve,

Not that mine compares to Bluefishes top. surf tops 92223

But I have a Lamiglas dry top. Fits great and its very comfortable, especially around the neck. Not real tight but tight enough. It also has the wrist/cuff seals so the water doesn't roll down your arms.

Its great for the surf but if your going out on a yak I would go with the Aqua Skinz tops. They have a tighter fit. more of a true dry top in my opinion.

Best of luck, Lami

PS: I picked my top up at Fishermens Supply.

LamiglasMike

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  On The Rocks 3/3/2010, 10:55 pm

Stevel...I picked up the AS Phantom last year...GREAT top!!!

Lots of features, waterproof pocket for the camera.cell phone, etc...great wind blocker too.
On The Rocks
On The Rocks

Number of posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  JakeF 3/4/2010, 6:50 pm

Take a look at the NRS tops as well. Extra dry and very breathable at the same time.
This is what I use over the waders... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
JakeF
JakeF

Number of posts : 9

http://www.skishingnewengland.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 3/4/2010, 10:38 pm

stevel wrote:ok this is the last piece of fishing gear i need......a good surf top to keep me dry in the surf..... surf tops 870783

just wondering what I should get anyone have a good suggestions .....thanks..... confused confused confused

For me Aquaskinz was not an option....I tried one on at theSomerset fishing show last year....I thought my head was going to turn purple Embarassed The neck on those things are way too tight. Steve it depends on your budget...I bought a Gill dry top for around $120 and it has an adjustable neck. They had a step up from the one I got that had a hood and all around better top for $250.
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 393

Back to top Go down

Post  JakeF 3/4/2010, 11:29 pm

Good stuff, but keep in mind that any true dry top is going to be too tight when you first try it on. Anything with an adjustable neck is really a semi-dry top, not a true dry top.

Depending on how you fish, and how critical a watertight neck seal is, a semi-dry top could very well serve your needs, and are definitely more comfortable compared to a new dry top.

A true dry top with a watertight latex neck seal will always feel too tight when new. That's the only way a manufacturer like Aquaskinz or NRS can put out a size Large or XL that will fit someone with a pencil neck AND a guy that has a fat head supporting appendage.

A latex neck gasket can always be stretched out to make it bigger. If you choose to purchase a true dry top with a latex neck gasket, be prepared to spend some time customizing the fit, as unless you're one of the pencil neck dudes, it will rarely fit perfectly right off the shelf. For most of us, a good fit comes with time and stretching.

The neck gasket SHOULD be too tight when you purchase the dry top,,,,, you stretch it out until it fits you well. A neck gasket that is too loose is worthless if you're in a position where you need it to be watertight. I have found a large coffee can to be particularly useful for stretching dry top neck gaskets. When you first purchase the dry top with a latex neck gasket, it'll probably feel like you've got a midget trying to choke you. Do not be alarmed, this is not unusual. Your job is to gradually stretch it out until it fits you perfectly,,,,, not too tight, not too loose.

If it feels too tight off the shelf, start out by slipping a large coffe can through the neck gasket and leave it there for a few days. Then try it on again for an hour or so. If it still feels too tight, put the can back in and leave it for a few more days. Repeat until it is comfortable to wear for an extended period of time, but still tight enough that you do not have to worry about water intrusion should you unexpectedly find yourself holding your breath 6 feet under a rogue wave.

If that sounds like too much work for you,,,, skip the drama and get a wetsuit ;)
JakeF
JakeF

Number of posts : 9

http://www.skishingnewengland.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 3/4/2010, 11:53 pm

AS- Phantom Semi Dry Top,Cant go worng..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 3/4/2010, 11:55 pm

thanks guys all your info is awsome just want to see a few up close before I decide....THANKS..... surf tops 962367 surf tops 962367
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Bayside Arty 3/5/2010, 2:53 pm

Steve Grundins makes a hooded pull over with neoprem built into the cuffs and I would also look at the Guy Cotten hooded surf top 189.00 iv seen them and soon as the cash flow gets a little better this is top im buying
Bayside Arty
Bayside Arty

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 3/6/2010, 12:35 am

percision pac for me love it
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092