Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dry tops what to do?

+15
Fishtale
jojofish
Val@Oceanside
slamming snizz69
Bobes
fish factor
first2wins
asbury guy
jettyjunkie
mikeybonz
joesfishinproblem
rebelmusicnp
Rapidfflow0
Smoke
holymackeral
19 posters

Go down

dry tops what to do? Empty dry tops what to do?

Post  holymackeral 2/3/2010, 2:02 pm

so with the spring coming up quickly i have decided to pick up some dry tops for my brother and i. problem is though not sure what to get and where to get it from. primarily we will be using these tops for the colder fall and spring days. the water is cold and one of the places we like to fish the waves crash and come up over the rocks. lost what was possibly my first keeper bass cause i couldn't get down low enough on the rocks to keep him out of the rocks.

do dry tops work with waders? will water keep from coming up the jacket if wading out to a spot? i'm thinking if i can get a medium to light coat i can always layer underneath a bit to keep warm. i've seen tops specifically for fishing and ones for kayaking. will kayaking ones work? or are they too short?

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

dry tops what to do? Empty Re: dry tops what to do?

Post  Smoke 2/3/2010, 2:17 pm

Check out AS..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rapidfflow0 2/3/2010, 6:24 pm

Dry Tops work well with waders. I have no problems w/mine while wading out to spots and taking waves over the head. That is not the same as swimming in it. If that is what you are looking to do go ahead and get a wetsuit. Just make sure you get one with a solid neck gasket and when you trim it fit, trim it so it is still a little tight it will stretch over time. Also one that has solid wrist gaskets and a double close waist with a interior "skirt" The one smoke mentioned above is a good one. I like nrs personally. Also if you take a look at a place like sierra trading they have some nice ones at reasonable prices.

Rapidfflow0
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 2/3/2010, 7:10 pm

aquaskinz Raptor.....works great with waders and a horizontal dunking will probably slowly leak from the bottom but will give you time to right yourself.
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 2/3/2010, 7:46 pm

i just get hit in tha face with the wave and call it good... right jon. remember when i got engulfed by that wave lolo sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 2/3/2010, 7:58 pm

remember when u split your waders open getting my 18lber to the shore. that was some drop joe hahaha
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  jettyjunkie 2/3/2010, 9:21 pm

Look into bomber tops by far the best out there
jettyjunkie
jettyjunkie

Number of posts : 633

Back to top Go down

Post  asbury guy 2/3/2010, 9:25 pm

Everyone leaks. It don't matter they will all leak. But I have 4 aquaskinz tops. , and when 1 gets wet I change.
asbury guy
asbury guy

Number of posts : 373

http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  first2wins 2/3/2010, 11:23 pm

I have the Aquaskiz raptor top and it worked well for a little less than a year. I got no help form aquaskinz about it. I have since treated it with a waterproofer and it has been good. I have seen and heard good things about bomber.

When my top goes I think I will take it apart and use the same pattern to make one out of goretex and cadora.
first2wins
first2wins

Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 2/3/2010, 11:34 pm

i have a presicion pac pretty good also
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobes 2/4/2010, 1:08 pm

I also have the Aquaskinz Raptor. Love it. Performed well for me in the fall. Neck seal took some getting used to, but its fine now. Was stupid one time and took a wave completely over my head. Stayed completely dry. The bottom does not have rubber gasket, but a velcro tightening system. I'm sure if you waded up to your neck, water would eventully seep in and into your waders.

Bobes

Number of posts : 85

Back to top Go down

Post  slamming snizz69 2/4/2010, 10:24 pm

go with the aquaskinz Raptor best top on the market. And the hand warmer in the front is sweet and the colors are cool cant go wrong
slamming snizz69
slamming snizz69

Number of posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  Val@Oceanside 2/5/2010, 10:53 am

I love my Lami top! and I look good in it! hahaha that's very important to bass ya know!
Val@Oceanside
Val@Oceanside
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 311

Back to top Go down

Post  slamming snizz69 2/5/2010, 4:08 pm

Val@Oceanside wrote:I love my Lami top! and I look good in it! hahaha that's very important to bass ya know!

thats what I been saying the hole time if your that guy or girl standin on the beach not catching anything but you have all the nice gear you'll still look good that why I have all the nice gear lol
slamming snizz69
slamming snizz69

Number of posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  jojofish 2/5/2010, 9:28 pm

I have the Lamiglas top, like it because it has an adjustable seal around the neck, much more comfortable than Aquaskinz.
jojofish
jojofish

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 2/9/2010, 8:02 pm

jojofish wrote:I have the Lamiglas top, like it because it has an adjustable seal around the neck, much more comfortable than Aquaskinz.
Only problem with the Lami top is it does NOT have watertight cuffs or neck. If they made it with that soft skin neoprene, it would be great.
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 2/9/2010, 10:01 pm

I use a Helly Hanson primarily because they make a pullover that actually fits me. I dont believe it leaks so much as I sweat my arse off in it.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  StripercoastNY 2/10/2010, 12:17 am

I would avoid AS at all costs. Terrible customer service. Try Immersion Research or Kokatat. Both good tops.

StripercoastNY

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  harbor rat john 2/11/2010, 9:48 pm

i have a presicion pac its realy good for the money
harbor rat john
harbor rat john

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 2/20/2010, 8:20 pm

yeah i've been hearing bad things about the aquaskins stuff lately. the bomber and lami tops seem to be getting good reviews here and online. i just want to keep the majority of the water from getting in. a little leak isn't too bad as long as i don't get soaked or my waders get filled up.

i'm liking the adjustable neck on the lami top a lot. i don't like too restricting of clothes and all these neoprene and latex necks have been making me weary of buying one. time to start shopping the lami tops. anyone know of other tops with adjustable necks?

thanks all for the info... i know a late reply but i think my computer problems might finally be solved...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  staktup 3/6/2010, 10:27 am

The best drytop for warmth and keeping you dry on frigid cold days is the Aquaskinz Hurricane. I love it for cold water rough fishing. That said, if you're going to be walking alot or sweating, the AS Rampage is great. I use a breathable semi-dry for most of the year and layer up as needed. I had a few AS Evo 2, but now I just have the Simms surf pullover (discontinued :( ). Great top.

Check out NRS and Sierra Trading post to save $$ on breathables.

I would get 2. A breathable and a neoprene to cover the bases.

staktup

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down