Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Heavy Surf Set Up

5 posters

Go down

New Heavy Surf Set Up Empty New Heavy Surf Set Up

Post  fishpro 9/12/2009, 11:26 pm

OK, so after alot of thinking and research....and extra cash on friday...I finally picked up my new combo. I bought a Tsunami Trophy casting rod 11' rated at 4-10oz and a Avet SX MC spooled with 30lb suffix braid. I was a little unsure about the Avet doing everything they say it can but all my fears were laid to rest with one cast. I mated up the Avet and grabed a 8oz weight and went to town in my back yard. I didn't have much time today but I made a few casts starting with the setting on 5. First cast, without touching the spool, and got about 90yds without much effort. So I kicked it up a notch and went to setting 3, about 100yds with no backlash, no thumbing the spool. Thats as far as I got (had to run the kids around town :roll: ) with the testing. I will do more testing tomorrow with exact numbers and some photos....really want to get some MOJO on this new set up.
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 393

Back to top Go down

New Heavy Surf Set Up Empty Re: New Heavy Surf Set Up

Post  fish factor 9/13/2009, 1:27 am

sounds like a nice setup good luck with it
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 9/13/2009, 1:42 am

Mikey I got a couple of monster plugs that'll throw!!!!!We gotta hook up this fall!!!!!!!! New Heavy Surf Set Up 92223

:.......: :.......: FC :.......: :.......:

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 9/13/2009, 10:09 am

Sounds good Jim
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 9/13/2009, 10:17 am

fishpro wrote:OK, so after alot of thinking and research....and extra cash on friday...I finally picked up my new combo. I bought a Tsunami Trophy casting rod 11' rated at 4-10oz and a Avet SX MC spooled with 30lb suffix braid. I was a little unsure about the Avet doing everything they say it can but all my fears were laid to rest with one cast. I mated up the Avet and grabed a 8oz weight and went to town in my back yard. I didn't have much time today but I made a few casts starting with the setting on 5. First cast, without touching the spool, and got about 90yds without much effort. So I kicked it up a notch and went to setting 3, about 100yds with no backlash, no thumbing the spool. Thats as far as I got (had to run the kids around town :roll: ) with the testing. I will do more testing tomorrow with exact numbers and some photos....really want to get some MOJO on this new set up.
Sounds like a good set up,you did well,now you can through 6oz and a ckunk. 8)
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 9/13/2009, 10:28 am

Thanks Joe, hopefully it can throw more than that...not all the time, but I try to fish every nor'easter in the fall and that takes 10-12oz and a clam or chunk.
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 9/13/2009, 10:49 am

sonds like a great setup should have no problem castin and gettin in the big ones :affraid: GOOD LUCK New Heavy Surf Set Up 92223
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 9/13/2009, 11:02 am

I use a lami 136MH rated for 8 to 16oz,most of the time i'll throw 8 oz and a chunk and love it.
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 9/13/2009, 11:18 am

fishpro wrote:OK, so after alot of thinking and research....and extra cash on friday...I finally picked up my new combo. I bought a Tsunami Trophy casting rod 11' rated at 4-10oz and a Avet SX MC spooled with 30lb suffix braid. I was a little unsure about the Avet doing everything they say it can but all my fears were laid to rest with one cast. I mated up the Avet and grabed a 8oz weight and went to town in my back yard. I didn't have much time today but I made a few casts starting with the setting on 5. First cast, without touching the spool, and got about 90yds without much effort. So I kicked it up a notch and went to setting 3, about 100yds with no backlash, no thumbing the spool. Thats as far as I got (had to run the kids around town :roll: ) with the testing. I will do more testing tomorrow with exact numbers and some photos....really want to get some MOJO on this new set up.

Might want to spool it up with 50lp braid!!!!!!

FC

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 9/13/2009, 11:26 am

fishincrazy wrote:

Might want to spool it up with 50lp braid!!!!!!

FC
Yeah, I thought about that Jim but.....I always go back to the world record striped bass. Al McRenalds(?spelling) caught the world record bass on 20lb pink Ande. I see alot of guys fishing with 50lb and 65lb braid, but I would rather have more line capacity. If you use the 50 and 60lb braid to its full capacity youwill end up pulling hooks.
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 9/13/2009, 11:30 am

I guess to each his own,I just like the 50 on bait stick.Hey if you don't like it you can always switchn up!!!

FC

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down