Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavy Surf Set-up

+2
AKScuba
fishpro
6 posters

Go down

Heavy Surf Set-up Empty Heavy Surf Set-up

Post  fishpro 9/7/2009, 7:16 pm

I need some advise as to what I should use for heavy surf fishiong....8oz to 12oz plus bait. Until this point I have been using an old Daiwa Apollo Gold spinning rod 11ftr with a Shimano 4500b loaded with 30lb PP. While I have done ok I was wondering if I would benefit from using a heavier spinning rod or switching over to a conventional set-up. For a spinning rod I was thinking of the St. Croix that are rated to 12oz and 12ft long. For a conventional set-up I was thinking of going with an Avet SX MC and a conventioal rod that was rated at 12 to 16oz. Anyone do this kind of fishing? I know alot of guys down in NC do but I don't know what type of equipment they use...I do know they use 13ftrs though. Any help would be appreciated and my bithday is coming up so this would be a purchase that I will make soon :king:
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 393

Back to top Go down

Heavy Surf Set-up Empty Re: Heavy Surf Set-up

Post  AKScuba 9/7/2009, 8:48 pm

Ive been using my tica TC2 12 footer to fling bunker heads + 8 ounces and its great! stood up to a 4 foot long shark pretty well. its rated 3-8 and throws well over that like a champ.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 9/7/2009, 8:52 pm

Sounds good AK...I willl have to check that rod out.
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 9/7/2009, 9:13 pm

I think you've got the right idea with the avet Mike!!!!!!!What would you pair it up with?????????I think an 11-12 ft rod rated to 16 would be fine if your really gonna throw 8+bait!!!!!You could toss a whole bunker with that!!!!!Go with your gut feeling!!!!!!

FC cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 9/7/2009, 9:26 pm

Yeah Jim thats what I was thinking.....I think the guys in NC use 13ftrs :affraid: with casting reels.
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 9/7/2009, 9:35 pm

I Chunk 99% of the time.I use a Lami GSB 136MH with a calcutta 700s or Abu 7000 or 10000,cant go wrong with this set up........ Heavy Surf Set-up 870783

Last edited by Smoke on 9/8/2009, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 9/8/2009, 12:32 am

Smokinjoe wrote:I Chunk 99% of the time.I use a Lami 136MH with a calcutta 700s or Abu 7000 or 10000,cant go wrong with this set up........ Heavy Surf Set-up 870783

What is the Lami136mh rated at? With the heavy type of fishing that I am going for I would assume there is an advantage to a conventional set-up?
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  StripercoastNY 9/8/2009, 6:31 pm

Tica Rods give you good bang for the buck. I don't have anything that heavy but I got a 9 footer that dragged bass up over rocks under the Light at M like a champ after I snapped my St. Croix in my trunklid.

StripercoastNY

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  slamming snizz69 9/8/2009, 8:08 pm

Lami 136MH is rated 8-16oz I think and I think its a 11'6 pair that bad boy up with a abu 7000 and your good to go. I all so like the 1418 batson with is 11'9 the rating is 2-6 but it will throw 8nbait with no problem and a bunka head that would be my choice. As soon as I sell one of my Van Staals and get a zeebaas Im getin me a 1418 with a abu7000 Good luck and have fun pickin a rod Very Happy
slamming snizz69
slamming snizz69

Number of posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down