Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition)

+5
etch
Minivin5
skippy
fish factor
Husky
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition)

Post  Husky 8/6/2009, 11:31 am

(This posting is premature but due to time constraints, this is my last chance to access a computer until Sunday.)
Photo Finish Over Foil

In an attempt to get a realistic finish with the shine of a real fish, I developed this method, borrowing many of the basics from other contributors, especially Lincoya at TU who turned me onto photo finishing.

1. With tape, tack down your foil, shiny side up, on a smooth flat surface (Poster Board works well. I prefer the foil sold at the Dollar Stores, as it is flimsy, and in this case, that’s a desirable thing.) Lay it out so it’s wrinkle free. (Wash your hands thoroughly to keep oil and other contaminents off the paper and images. If you're comfortable with using gloves, that's even better.)

2. With Tape, position and tack down a piece of “Gift Tissue”, also found at the Dollar Stores.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

3. Spray the foil with adhesive (When I can get it, my preferrence is Elmers) and lay the tissue down onto it keeping it as wrinkle free as possible. Using a credit card or like object, GENTLY work it smooth, from the center out.

4. Trim the Tissue/Foil so it will fit onto an 8.5” X 11” piece of paper. (I like to affix it so that the top is appx. 1.5” lower than the top of the sheet, and ½” narrower on either side, allowing the paper to feed freely into your printer. ) Tape down the top and sides.

5. Choose an Image from the Internet, or better still, from a photo you took of a baitfish. Using a Program which allows you to size and reverse the image (I use MS Publisher but I’m sure many other programs work as well) Print your sized and reversed Images. I print from the bottom up as that allows me to use the sheet at another time If I need less than the whole sheet at that time.

6. After you have printed out the Images, cut them out and position them on your lure, one side at a time. After I position the first side, I make pencil reference lines for the eyes and mouth, so both sides will sit symetrically on the lure. Holding the image in place, bend it back and spray both the foil and the lure. After you’ve done the front half, do the same for the rear. Repeat the process for the opposite side. Gently Burnish the images in, using a soft piece of cloth over your finger (Again, work from the center out for best results.) There should be no wrinkles or high spots. The thin foil and tissue will lay down nicely, and not tear, if you take it easy. Once it is totally affixed to the lure body, use a smooth round object i.e. a Sharpie Marker to finish the process, working the edges down. You can "massage" the edges with 400 paper to taper it down, even more if you feel it needs it.

7. When the glue is totally dry, give the lure a coat of Epoxy, (My preference is D2T as it sets quickly and is thicker than Etex. ) The Epoxy coat should make the lines of the paper/foil “disappear” as well as cause the tissue to turn transparent, letting the foil shine to come through. When it sets, check to see that the transition lines have blended in seamlessly. If not, again, a swipe or two with 400 paper should smooth it down sufficiently. Spray your back and belly colors, and topcoat again, once or twice. I use Rattle cans, but surely airbrushing will allow for a better transition. Here’s the same image sized for 2 different lures.
more

Any and all questions are welcome and will be answered asap. I hope you guys and gals enjoy using this procedure.

And that’s what I learned at Hammer Mechanic School.
Husky
Husky

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty Re: Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition)

Post  fish factor 8/6/2009, 11:48 am

wow that is amazing great job and method love it :twisted:
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty hey bro.......

Post  skippy 8/6/2009, 1:00 pm

must thank you for one terrific post, the mackeral pattern is amazing, I can not wait to try this technique, thanks for sharing it with us,

skippy

Number of posts : 1386

Back to top Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty Re: Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition)

Post  Minivin5 8/6/2009, 1:02 pm

Now I know why you are known as one of the pioneers of Photo Finishing Over Foil. Your work is flawless. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us! I can not wait to try this out Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) 962367
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty oh this is cool......

Post  skippy 8/6/2009, 3:48 pm

wait till you see this friggin thing cheers

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  etch 8/6/2009, 4:08 pm

yes mini now you know why he is known as the godfather of foiling, :you da man: :you da man: awesome job husky, :you da man: :you da man: Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) 560155 Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) 560155

Etch :.......:
etch
etch

Number of posts : 1193

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com/Etch-Custom-Lures-h2.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 8/6/2009, 5:41 pm

Thanks for sharing Husky, as you know, I'm a big fan.
:you da man:

bennyraw

Number of posts : 222

Back to top Go down

Post  Husky 8/6/2009, 7:58 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. NOW, this truly is my last access to a computer for a few days, but there are a few things I'd like to say;
a. I get giddy when someone uses one of my Hammer Mechanic Methods and Improves on my work. See Kahawai's album.

b. I welcome any Ideas or innovations which improve on those methods. So get hoppin', Grasshoppers.

c. I hope they are accepted and embraced by the community. Time will tell.

Here is some eye candy from one of my early followers, whose work, I can't begin to compete with, today. Hopefully, someone here will do the same. BTW Kahawai is just a recreational builder, like most of us. ENJOY THE SHOW!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Husky
Husky

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 8/6/2009, 8:43 pm

Wow I hope to just scratch the surface, if anyone does your quality or Kahawai's type work that will be amazing indeed. I think there are several here on this board that just might be able to reach that peak cheers
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 8/6/2009, 10:06 pm

Whoa !!!!........... now this is going to be a challenge !!! Thanks Husky, I think !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  buddah 8/6/2009, 10:41 pm

Wow that looks awesome, can't wait to give it a go.

buddah

Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty okay,,,,,

Post  skippy 8/11/2009, 12:37 pm

It took me a couple of attempts, but I came up with two that came out pretty good, I think",I really enjoyed a partial technique, halfpaint, halffinish, will post them up when they come out the spinner :study:

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 8/11/2009, 4:01 pm

I've done a bunch of baits using variations of this technique learned from Husky's prior posts, the blending between the paint and the photo is definitely the fun part for me. This weeks isn't ready to show yet but this thread needs pics.

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty nice job benny

Post  skippy 8/11/2009, 7:57 pm

bennyraw wrote:I've done a bunch of baits using variations of this technique learned from Husky's prior posts, the blending between the paint and the photo is definitely the fun part for me. This weeks isn't ready to show yet but this thread needs pics.
and we did need some pictures :study:

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  etch 8/11/2009, 11:45 pm

i have said it all along benny, you have some serious skills with the foil and paint, not equaled by many thats for sure :you da man: :you da man: :you da man:

Etch
etch
etch

Back to top Go down

Post  Husky 8/12/2009, 5:53 am

Good for you, Benny, nice work! My tutorial is just a baseline. Where you folks take it is anyone's guess. I see you used FatFingers mesh underlay, too. Mix and Match Techniques, sweet.
As you know, working with round plugs entails more work than with flat plugs, but you seem more than up for the task. I'm eager to see what evolves from this Thread.[u]
Husky
Husky

Back to top Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty okay,,,,

Post  skippy 8/12/2009, 1:37 pm

Hers is the first one,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 8/12/2009, 1:44 pm

:shock: Holy **** Skippy!! Is that a Johnson spoon on the back :study:
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) Empty hey buddy....

Post  skippy 8/12/2009, 1:56 pm

Minivin5 wrote::shock: Holy **** Skippy!! Is that a Johnson spoon on the back :study:
hilderbrandt :study:

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 8/12/2009, 5:32 pm

Sweet bait Skip.

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  skippy 8/12/2009, 6:24 pm

bennyraw wrote:Sweet bait Skip.
pretty simple shape. no lathe, just a scroll saw :study:

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  etch 8/12/2009, 6:42 pm

skippy wrote:
bennyraw wrote:Sweet bait Skip.
pretty simple shape. no lathe, just a scroll saw :study:

it is very sweet, i agree benny, skip wtf is a scroll saw :,,,,,,,,,,,: , use a bandsaw, you get to put your fingers real close :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: Husky's Photo Finishing Over Foil. (Early Edition) 56958

Etch :.......:
etch
etch

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 8/12/2009, 10:03 pm

Wow, some real nice examples of what can be done. cheers

I think I have all the supplies I need, got the foil today. Just seem to be having a problem getting an image that I can use. The ones I have are to big and when I try to shrink them down they get blurry. Oh well I'll keep trying til I get it right. Doubt I'll have it done by sat. been very busy is week, no time for playing.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  skippy 8/12/2009, 10:11 pm

FJR wrote:Wow, some real nice examples of what can be done. cheers

I think I have all the supplies I need, got the foil today. Just seem to be having a problem getting an image that I can use. The ones I have are to big and when I try to shrink them down they get blurry. Oh well I'll keep trying til I get it right. Doubt I'll have it done by sat. been very busy is week, no time for playing.
picking the right image was the hardest part, and also took the most time, your plug screams red fish :..............

skippy

Back to top Go down

Post  bennyraw 8/13/2009, 12:12 pm

I have to thank Husky for the motivation to finish this Technologist Decoy I've been working on for quite a while now.
Welcome To SBO

bennyraw

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next