Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone see this? "Fishermen call fishing policies a fluke"

4 posters

Go down

Anyone see this? "Fishermen call fishing policies a fluke" Empty Anyone see this? "Fishermen call fishing policies a fluke"

Post  126andy 5/9/2009, 8:30 pm

(05/09/09) HAMPTON BAYS - Fishermen met with Rep. Tim Bishop (D) Saturday about fixing low fishing quotas that have driven fishermen, and their boats, out of Long Island.
New York fishermen are restricted to catching only two fish, while in New Jersey, they can catch six. The rules are set by the National Marine Fisheries Service based on the population of fluke in the region. While New York fishermen in total can catch just 7 percent, their counterparts in North Carolina can catch 24 percent of the population there.
Bishop says Congress may not have the power to change policies regarding the fish, but a lawsuit could.
The National Marine Fisheries Service couldn't be reached for comment Saturday, but in the past a spokesperson has said the group is interested in improving their data.
126andy
126andy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 711

http://afteryoufishing.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone see this? "Fishermen call fishing policies a fluke" Empty Re: Anyone see this? "Fishermen call fishing policies a fluke"

Post  surffishn 5/10/2009, 1:12 pm

I've been reading a lot of fluke regs. for many years now.My conculsion is there polices are very poor science.There use of survays is a Catch-22.

surffishn
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Anyone see this? "Fishermen call fishing policies a fluke" Empty Re: Anyone see this? "Fishermen call fishing policies a fluke"

Post  Fishtale 5/10/2009, 7:32 pm

There was a lawsuit filed on behalf of the recreational fisherman for fluke against the state of NY a few months back, that's what Bishop is most likely taking about. If the suit were to win, the limit would be reduced by a huge margin.
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 5/11/2009, 12:59 am

Fishtale wrote:There was a lawsuit filed on behalf of the recreational fisherman for fluke against the state of NY a few months back, that's what Bishop is most likely taking about. If the suit were to win, the limit would be reduced by a huge margin.

I HOPE THE SUIT WINS. WE GET SCREWED EVERY YEAR WITH FLUKE. I DONT THINK THAT NJ OR NY SHOULD HAVE DIFFRENT SIZES. ITS THE SAME WATER WAYS.IT SHOULD BE FAIR. THATS MY THOUGHTS ON IT.
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down