Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Much Extra Braid

+5
Smoke
rebelmusicnp
REDBASS
Kevnmary
Charlie G.
9 posters

Go down

To Much Extra Braid Empty To Much Extra Braid

Post  Charlie G. 4/18/2009, 11:28 pm

Well it's a new surf fishing season and time to put new line on the reels. I reverse the braid after 2 yrs use, after 2 more years it's time for new line. 4 to 5 years ain't bad I figure. I always have extra braid left over after filling my reel from thouse 300yd spools. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good use for thier extra braid, say 20 to 25 yrds left on the spools they come on. I hate to throw it out so I now have 6 spools of short lengths and differant weights. I now buy 1200 yrd spools.
What if anything do you guys do with left over braid ???
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

To Much Extra Braid Empty Re: To Much Extra Braid

Post  Kevnmary 4/19/2009, 12:17 am

Dental Floss?

I saw some guys use it to sew up tears in their surf bags
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 4/19/2009, 1:07 pm

USE IT TOO WRAP UP BUCKTAILS ON THE SIDEWASH HOOKS. WORKS GREAT. THE YELLOW EYED DONT CHEW THROUGH IT TOO FAST. LOL. BUT THE EAT EVERYTHING.
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 4/19/2009, 4:36 pm

you can double/triple it up to rig sluggos. that what i have done with it anyway.....
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 4/19/2009, 4:57 pm

REDBASS wrote:USE IT TOO WRAP UP BUCKTAILS ON THE SIDEWASH HOOKS. WORKS GREAT. THE YELLOW EYED DONT CHEW THROUGH IT TOO FAST. LOL. BUT THE EAT EVERYTHING.
Good idea.. :twisted:
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/19/2009, 5:13 pm

Dont use it for sluggos it rips threw em ..I use Dacron

Just bit the bullet and throw it out . Out of sight out of mind

Mikey
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  asbury guy 4/19/2009, 6:28 pm

Charlie G. wrote:Well it's a new surf fishing season and time to put new line on the reels. I reverse the braid after 2 yrs use, after 2 more years it's time for new line. 4 to 5 years ain't bad I figure. I always have extra braid left over after filling my reel from thouse 300yd spools. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good use for thier extra braid, say 20 to 25 yrds left on the spools they come on. I hate to throw it out so I now have 6 spools of short lengths and differant weights. I now buy 1200 yrd spools.
I only buy the 1500 yd spools and don't have a bunch of small almost empty spools. Left over gets used for rigging eels.
asbury guy
asbury guy

Number of posts : 373

http://www.asburyparkfishingclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 4/19/2009, 11:38 pm

Big Johnston wrote:Dont use it for sluggos it rips threw em ..I use Dacron

Just bit the bullet and throw it out . Out of sight out of mind

Mikey

i use dacron as well. bluefish rip through them too. hmmmm.... :idea:
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Gone_fishing 4/25/2009, 10:22 am

If using conventional reels you can use it for shock leader. I've done this in the past with 50# power pro I've bought from bait shops for $2.

Gone_fishing

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 5/2/2009, 11:10 pm

Charlie G. wrote:Well it's a new surf fishing season and time to put new line on the reels. I reverse the braid after 2 yrs use, after 2 more years it's time for new line. 4 to 5 years ain't bad I figure. I always have extra braid left over after filling my reel from thouse 300yd spools. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a good use for thier extra braid, say 20 to 25 yrds left on the spools they come on. I hate to throw it out so I now have 6 spools of short lengths and differant weights. I now buy 1200 yrd spools.

That used to happen to me all the time! Now I bring the spool to the bait shop and let them put the braid on my spool. Costs the same per yard and you have no waste!!!!
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Post  winch 5/7/2009, 9:35 pm

Why are you filling those 300 yard spools completely up? Unless your a distance caster on roids you will ever get beyond 75 to 150 yards of line. Instead of filling the spool up start with a cushion of mono and then use your old line as backing. Then refill the spool with new fresh braid say 100 to 150 yards. Connect the lines using a blood knot. That way there depending on your equipment you can get two or three reel fulls of cast able braid.
winch
winch

Number of posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down