Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRAID OR MONO????

+21
jfv1
firebrat75
RHM
fishnut
Teddy
Bayside Arty
gull chaser
Smoke
AKScuba
hdcycles
mikeybonz
jettyjunkie
needlefish
monty
smitty
Leadchucker
REDBASS
striperking70
stilltryn
Tossin Plugs
fishincrazy
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Braid or Mono????

BRAID OR MONO???? Vote_lcap79%BRAID OR MONO???? Vote_rcap 79% 
[ 19 ]
BRAID OR MONO???? Vote_lcap8%BRAID OR MONO???? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
BRAID OR MONO???? Vote_lcap13%BRAID OR MONO???? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 24

Poll closed

BRAID OR MONO???? Empty BRAID OR MONO????

Post  fishincrazy 2/18/2009, 11:52 pm

What does everyone fish Braid or Mono????

FC :shock:

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

BRAID OR MONO???? Empty Re: BRAID OR MONO????

Post  Tossin Plugs 2/18/2009, 11:57 pm

Power Pro, 50lb for bait and 30 for plugs, just have to reload the spool after a half hour of casting plugs, or wind knots from spool loosing up
Tossin Plugs
Tossin Plugs

Number of posts : 130

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 2/19/2009, 12:01 am

I'm usin Suffix 30lb for tossin plugs and used to use Stern HD Draid in 50lb for tossin bait.Switchin to Suffix on the 50 this year when I have to change it. :bounce:

FC :lol:

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltryn 2/19/2009, 12:08 am

#30 SUFFIX!
stilltryn
stilltryn

Number of posts : 305

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 2/19/2009, 12:11 am

stilltryn wrote:#30 SUFFIX!

GOOD DEAL JEFF SUP!!!????

FC cheers

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  striperking70 2/19/2009, 10:19 am

I use 50 lb. power pro for plugging and snagging bunker. I have not had a windknot or problems since I switched from 30 to 50 and that was over 2 years ago. I guess it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I fish with a guy who is a great fisherman and just refused to use anything but mono. 2 years ago I finally convinced him to try the pp on one rod and he likes it but still only has it on that one rod.

striperking70

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 2/20/2009, 12:46 am

30 lb berkly big game braid for plugging. gave mono up .
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Leadchucker 2/20/2009, 12:50 am

I use both braid and mono. Braid on spinners, mono on round reels. Just a personal quirk (of which I seem to have many) as I don't care for the feel of briand on round reels when casting
Leadchucker
Leadchucker

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 2/20/2009, 12:57 am

i like 40 lb power pro just cant beat the the stuff all around awesome fishing line. Very Happy
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  monty 2/20/2009, 3:25 am

Personally, mostly a braid Guy. 65lb PP on one spool nd 30 fireline on the other. Might go to 95 lb powerpro for the SS rocks.
Nick

monty

Number of posts : 290

Back to top Go down

Post  needlefish 2/20/2009, 7:04 pm

well i guess i am the minority here cause i only fish with mono.....12-14lb test. i like the stretch that mono has and i def use it cause i like to set the hook ... ALA bassmasters classic... lol.... it seems to have plenty of sensitivity for me as long as i keep it tight, although braid def does have the nod in that dept. most of the beaches i fish are sand bottom so i dont need the abrasion resistance of braid. mono sucks cause of the memory after a few trips it looks like and old phone cord coming off the reel. but its cheap enought to just change it every few trips. i used braid some years back and totally got turned off of it because it was 1st gen. w/o the smooth coating and it totally chewed the guides off one of my fav. rods so i went with mono and never looked back.
needlefish
needlefish

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  monty 2/20/2009, 7:36 pm

needlefish wrote:well i guess i am the minority here cause i only fish with mono.....12-14lb test. i like the stretch that mono has and i def use it cause i like to set the hook ... ALA bassmasters classic... lol.... it seems to have plenty of sensitivity for me as long as i keep it tight, although braid def does have the nod in that dept. most of the beaches i fish are sand bottom so i dont need the abrasion resistance of braid. mono sucks cause of the memory after a few trips it looks like and old phone cord coming off the reel. but its cheap enought to just change it every few trips. i used braid some years back and totally got turned off of it because it was 1st gen. w/o the smooth coating and it totally chewed the guides off one of my fav. rods so i went with mono and never looked back.

Needle,
I agree with your theory for why your spooled with mono, but I disagree with the fact when you say you use it because you like to set the hook. The only reason is because like you said, theyre is a stretch in mono. Braid being tighter makes a hook set easier. Mono on a retreive and getting a hit makes it like you have slack in the line.
Niick

monty

Number of posts : 290

Back to top Go down

Post  striperking70 2/20/2009, 10:14 pm

needlefish wrote:well i guess i am the minority here cause i only fish with mono.....12-14lb test. i like the stretch that mono has and i def use it cause i like to set the hook ... ALA bassmasters classic... lol.... it seems to have plenty of sensitivity for me as long as i keep it tight, although braid def does have the nod in that dept. most of the beaches i fish are sand bottom so i dont need the abrasion resistance of braid. mono sucks cause of the memory after a few trips it looks like and old phone cord coming off the reel. but its cheap enought to just change it every few trips. i used braid some years back and totally got turned off of it because it was 1st gen. w/o the smooth coating and it totally chewed the guides off one of my fav. rods so i went with mono and never looked back.

With 12-14 lb. test what are you targeting?

striperking70

Back to top Go down

Post  needlefish 2/21/2009, 10:28 am

monty i agree that braid is more sensitive than mono, and in general a better product all together. i would guess that if you are a hard hook setter you use a few feet of shock leader on the end of your braid as most guys do. i prefer to not have that extra connection in my line. and i have used braid in the past and found it too sensitive for me, as i have pulled lures away from fish and also straightend and broke hooks on smaller lures using straight braid. basically i use mono becuase i like to have some degree of stretch in the line, its just what i prefer. as far as slacking the line, yes you can slack mono or braid or even a thick steel cable for that matter. i just keep it tight by reeling faster when needed like im sure you do. i use 12-14 lb test cause i like light tackle fishing, and giving the fish a fair fight, but i also catch and release only from the beach, so maybe thats why i am not so worried about losing fish to light tackle. the fish dont mind it, i outfished a few guys one morning this fall w/ heavier tackle 7 to 1. you should have seen the look on their faces when i relased the keepers. on the other hand when im tuna fishing all i see is sushi and i cant get those big yellowfin bled and collared fast enough. to each their own. my setups work for me and thats all that matters.
needlefish
needlefish

Back to top Go down

Post  striperking70 2/21/2009, 2:15 pm

needlefish wrote:monty i agree that braid is more sensitive than mono, and in general a better product all together. i would guess that if you are a hard hook setter you use a few feet of shock leader on the end of your braid as most guys do. i prefer to not have that extra connection in my line. and i have used braid in the past and found it too sensitive for me, as i have pulled lures away from fish and also straightend and broke hooks on smaller lures using straight braid. basically i use mono becuase i like to have some degree of stretch in the line, its just what i prefer. as far as slacking the line, yes you can slack mono or braid or even a thick steel cable for that matter. i just keep it tight by reeling faster when needed like im sure you do. i use 12-14 lb test cause i like light tackle fishing, and giving the fish a fair fight, but i also catch and release only from the beach, so maybe thats why i am not so worried about losing fish to light tackle. the fish dont mind it, i outfished a few guys one morning this fall w/ heavier tackle 7 to 1. you should have seen the look on their faces when i relased the keepers. on the other hand when im tuna fishing all i see is sushi and i cant get those big yellowfin bled and collared fast enough. to each their own. my setups work for me and thats all that matters.

If you are into catch and release lighter tackle means a longer fight and more stress on a fish.

striperking70

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 2/22/2009, 1:43 am

How about a non braided super line????Fire line isn't a braided product it's a fused poduct.Many who don't like braid like this product. I had the same trouble with setting the hook.I drove through the fish's lip and yanked it away from them.Once I learned how to chill on the hookset the bennifits of a superline far outweighed the adjustment.Give it another shot.Who knows??? Try the fireline.

FC lol!

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  jettyjunkie 2/22/2009, 1:08 pm

i use braid for 90 percent of my fishing except for live lining
jettyjunkie
jettyjunkie

Number of posts : 633

Back to top Go down

Post  needlefish 2/23/2009, 9:50 am

FC ........ thats sounds good i may actually have to give it a try. like i said i had only ever fished the 1st gen braid and it cut guides and beat everything up. thats y i got so turned off of braid in the 1st place, but that was also years ago and technology has advanced since then. i do like 1 aspect of braid the low diameter......hmm .... i may have to experiment in the spring.
needlefish
needlefish

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 2/23/2009, 12:59 pm

needlefish wrote:FC ........ thats sounds good i may actually have to give it a try. like i said i had only ever fished the 1st gen braid and it cut guides and beat everything up. thats y i got so turned off of braid in the 1st place, but that was also years ago and technology has advanced since then. i do like 1 aspect of braid the low diameter......hmm .... i may have to experiment in the spring.

Give it a shot who knows you might really like it.I switched over on all types of fishing even throught the ice.I love Braid.I'v used all kinds.Right now in the salt I like the suffix braid,and the stren HD braid.In the fresh the fire line seems to do the trick for me.This season I've already got some 30# fire line spooled up and I'm gonna give it a go in the suds.Keep me updated on what you think. cheers

FC :lol:

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 2/23/2009, 11:02 pm

LIGHTER TACKLE ME YOU MEANS THE FISH WILL BUILD UP MORE ACID ITS BODY. WHICH ITS HARDER TOO REVIVE THE FISH, WHICH IN TURN YOU HAVE A HIGHER DEATH RATE. :( :(
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 2/23/2009, 11:42 pm

REDBASS wrote:LIGHTER TACKLE ME YOU MEANS THE FISH WILL BUILD UP MORE ACID ITS BODY. WHICH ITS HARDER TOO REVIVE THE FISH, WHICH IN TURN YOU HAVE A HIGHER DEATH RATE. :( :(

One of the reasons I like Braid.I can fish a heavier line with the small diameter for the feel of lite line.

FC cheers

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/3/2009, 7:59 pm

both seem to work good for me, have plenty of setups with both on each, love the braid for fluke fishing absolute must for quick-telling bits!!!!! Mb
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  hdcycles 3/4/2009, 12:59 am

I like PP some hate it. I just bought a spool of fire line spooled up a reel and stripped it off. I knew I wasnt gonna like it right out of the box.
hdcycles
hdcycles

Number of posts : 30

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=1102700317&ref

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 3/4/2009, 1:02 am

hdcycles wrote:I like PP some hate it. I just bought a spool of fire line spooled up a reel and stripped it off. I knew I wasnt gonna like it right out of the box.

The fire line is different you gotta break it in B4 it feels right.Once you break it in it feels good.I like the suffix braid I reccommend it highly!!!! cheers

FC cheers

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 3/4/2009, 1:04 am

I use both, like the powerpro better though Very Happy
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next