Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mono or braid on conventional surf reels

+5
blnd420
whitey
rocstar21
Oldsalts
Freddy 4mcola
9 posters

Go down

mono or braid on conventional surf reels Empty mono or braid on conventional surf reels

Post  Freddy 4mcola 10/3/2009, 8:33 pm

this spring I switched a lot of my reels from mono to braid, on the spinning reels it has been fine, especially for throwing bait & light artificals, but on the conventional surf reels I have had breakoffs during cast especially when I get a backlash, which are inpossible to get out most of the time, if I get a 2nd backlash the line snaps. I was using 50 lb power pro, I am switching my conventionals back to mono :??????:
Freddy 4mcola
Freddy 4mcola

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

mono or braid on conventional surf reels Empty Re: mono or braid on conventional surf reels

Post  Oldsalts 10/3/2009, 8:42 pm

Freddy 4mcola wrote:this spring I switched a lot of my reels from mono to braid, on the spinning reels it has been fine, especially for throwing bait & light artificals, but on the conventional surf reels I have had breakoffs during cast especially when I get a backlash, which are inpossible to get out most of the time, if I get a 2nd backlash the line snaps. I was using 50 lb power pro, I am switching my conventionals back to mono :??????:

Hey Freddy

What kind of conventional do you have .??...They can be a pain in the arse untill you get the hang of them.

Salts
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

mono or braid on conventional surf reels Empty Re: mono or braid on conventional surf reels

Post  rocstar21 10/3/2009, 8:46 pm

Freddy 4mcola wrote:this spring I switched a lot of my reels from mono to braid, on the spinning reels it has been fine, especially for throwing bait & light artificals, but on the conventional surf reels I have had breakoffs during cast especially when I get a backlash, which are inpossible to get out most of the time, if I get a 2nd backlash the line snaps. I was using 50 lb power pro, I am switching my conventionals back to mono :??????:

switched over myself also......... have had no problems...... gotta adjust you lure weight to drop at a slow even drop........ like when you see a spider falling down its line........ slow and controlled! use the side adjuster or brake..... what type of reel is it????
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey 10/3/2009, 8:49 pm

i heard there is a trick to getting backlash out ... i think and dont quote me but i think instink is to pull but i think you go oppisite ... sorry for the spelling .... go back onto the reelto get the knot out

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Post  Freddy 4mcola 10/3/2009, 10:23 pm

I have a couple of conventional reels that I use for the surf, Penn squidder, Penn mag 980 and diawa 30h have not had any problems with the 980 but that has mono on it, the squidder had 50lb power pro and the diawa the same, I also have it on a lot of my spinning reels, no problem with them, the problem starts once I have a backlash after I get it out and cast again and if I get another backlash I get breakoffs and they are not at the knots, the line is new I put it on this spring
Freddy 4mcola
Freddy 4mcola

Back to top Go down

Post  blnd420 10/4/2009, 12:16 am

what has helped me is after a lash take 15 or 20 more pulls of line off of the reel. usually when you have a backlash the next few wraps of line dig into the line underneath. make sure you are freed up on the spool. also i have found that if your reel has levelwind make sure it is perfectly matched to the line wrap on your reel. hope this helps. braid by far casts farther than mono.

blnd420

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 10/4/2009, 9:21 am

i love my braid !!!!!
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 10/4/2009, 12:01 pm

Braid on a conventional?? If you don't have a level wind on the reel, you'll slice right through your thumb on the retrieve...When braid and fingers get wet, it acts just like a razor blade[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I use mono and zero problems with distance on the cast...
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Post  Freddy 4mcola 10/4/2009, 3:34 pm

I have never had any problems with cuts just with backlashes
Freddy 4mcola
Freddy 4mcola

Back to top Go down

Post  slamming snizz69 10/5/2009, 2:53 pm

braid all the way mono or braid on conventional surf reels 92223 mono or braid on conventional surf reels 92223
slamming snizz69
slamming snizz69

Number of posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  Jignpro 10/6/2009, 3:21 pm

I use braid and if your having backlash problems look at the tension knob and see how it is set, you may have to tighten it accordingly and if you have the reel magged you may have to tighten the knob instead. However if you increase the tension your casting distance will suffer slightly. Having good thumb control and lots of practice is key. One more tip if you are throwing plugs you MIGHT want to (not saying you do) to tie a slight shock leader of 20-25 lb mono onto the reel tied with an albright knot to the braided line. You want to have just enough line so that you can have your lure hanging from your rod when you want to cast and still have about 5-6 turns left on the reel. This way the mono absorbs the shock of the cast and you shouldn't be cutoff from your braided line. Distance and Bait guys use this for throwin heavy sinkers and bait. This should help you a little. Oh and also an easy way to get out a windknot on a conventional or baitcast reel is to First Freespool your line, then with your fingers try and pick out the knot on the reel instead of pulling the line out. This won't create anymore tension on the line allowing you to pull the knot free. When your picking the knot out it should be relatively easy to (IF YOU CAN SEE THE LINE) get the knot out. Hope this helps goodluck -Jignpro

Jignpro

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down