Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spook building FRUSTRATION

4 posters

Go down

spook building FRUSTRATION Empty spook building FRUSTRATION

Post  Muskyslayer96 11/27/2011, 8:15 pm

I hope someone will rescue my spook building as I'm not sure where to go next.
I spent a lot of time over Thanksgiving break reading all the past posts here regarding spook building, Jig mans post was especially helpful.
I cut some blanks and weighted them and the sat in the water level about where I wanted them (I thought), approx. 10-15 degrees tail down. I don't have a current pic, but I cut the blank the same specs as my swimmers (pic attached) 6 inches long, cut from pine, 1/2 oz wieght 2inches in from the tail, the hook position is the same as the pic and I tried both line tie centered and below the center line. I used 5/0 trebles, weight total 2 3/8 oz.
It sits in the water nicely, but on the jerk it won't glide, it just bounces. I'm looking for a nice, wide surface glide. Did I weight it too much and that is why it keeps bouncing? I didn't drill out the lead yet (forgot the drill) it's in the low thirties today and testing was brutal with 25 plus MPH winds, so back to the shop frustrated.
How should I break down the next step? Drill the weight out and see if less weight will be better? Should I move the towards the head more?
Here is a pic of the lure shape and body style.

Thanks in advance guys for any pointers,
spook building FRUSTRATION DSCF2398
MS
Muskyslayer96
Muskyslayer96

Number of posts : 391

http://irishwhipesoxbaits.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

spook building FRUSTRATION Empty Re: spook building FRUSTRATION

Post  Oldsalts 11/27/2011, 9:59 pm

Hope this helps you out i found that the weight closer to the rear works best for me...!!

spook building FRUSTRATION Spookweightingandactioncy1
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 11/27/2011, 10:23 pm

spooks can be a pain........mine wasnt zig zagging the way i liked.........it kept nose diving......here are the dementions i used

the spook measures out to 5.5"

starting from the nose of the plug 1.3/4" is a 6 gram belly weight.....the hook hole measures at 2.5" from the nose of the plug scales out to 1.5oz......i think my problem was the plug wasnt sitting level......ill try to post ya a pick

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  handyman 11/27/2011, 10:30 pm

body shape and belly weight and hook locatiospook building FRUSTRATION Picture1222

n oh!!! and the fruit fly that got stuckin the epoxy at the nose

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

spook building FRUSTRATION Empty 6 grams

Post  stripercrazy 11/30/2011, 6:59 pm

6 grams is a good size weight probly too much if its going under....I don't use a weight in the belly/chin but my spooks roll some go with 3 grams or use red ceder that floats better you need more lift or less chin weight

stripercrazy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down