Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How would you fish this #2

+3
fishpro
fishincrazy
monty
7 posters

Go down

How would you fish this #2 Empty How would you fish this #2

Post  monty 3/3/2009, 9:15 pm

Alrigth, a little late. been in NC and building sorry fellas. Here it is. the SS of M. Since its not the greatest picture but my favorite spot to fish i will explain somewhat. This one is tough. This pic is in hte fall, waters around 60 deg mid November. as you can see we have a sw wind of 20kt and 4 ft swells.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That caster out there has some balls. Ive been to that rock 4 or 5 times, if you dont go on the ebbing tide you can get fucked... so lets go.
This Pic is taken in a cove, a big cove. Thats all you need to know. This is tough

What Bait is around now?
Where would you fish and what are structures a-e? Some are the same
What plugs would you throw? Why?
how would you fish? Setup and preperation?
What tide would you fish?

Alright, I'll give it a wack. Theres a few ways to fish ehre. i will give 1 obvious way. The rock out there. You need to take the death march. For you other M maniacs who know this rock, don't mention where it is, its a tough find lets keep it that way, LOL.

So i would fish that rock, the ebbing tide I woudl start getting to it. Its an hour walk so I would leave an hour and a half earlier. I would fish C because it is very deep water and you have 2 bars, one to the right one to the left and in front of you its a big drop off because of these 2 shelves tehse bars create. Big bass liek to sit at the edge of these shelfs for an easy meal, We had a few nice fish there, my uncles friend got a 43 there this fall.
The bait? I noticed from snorkling that we always have ribboon fish from early may to late nov, so they are great immitators of a needle. You can have some reminance of rain bait, but you can have a herring run aswell. According to this years log, we had bunker in the surf of M on november 8th-12th, so bunker is highly possible.
I would cast 12 o clock, my plug will be presented as I like, right over the dam shelf!

I woudl throw huge bottles, to immitate the herring and bunker. I would give it a medium retreive with sweeps of the rod. The advantage of being out that far is taht all that shitty weed eel grass and kelp gets pushed past you. I may through some 11 in needles, the AH or some bucktails but t
that wouldnt match the hatch so well ( then again, it can work and it has).

I would Bring my 5/7 MM wetsuit for this one. Its more versatile than my full 7 MM. You also have to have the right minset. You have about a 1 hr walk there and 1 hr back. I would take my 11ft kennedy fischer with my Vs 250g with 65lb PP and 90lb mono leader for extra distance and durability against teh rocks.

Like said I would get there in the ebbing and fish till the flood. Getting back isnt as difficult.

Lets here it, i wanna hear diff ways! Think of the cove to the left, about 200yds long. Good luck!
Nick

monty

Number of posts : 290

Back to top Go down

How would you fish this #2 Empty Re: How would you fish this #2

Post  fishincrazy 3/3/2009, 10:55 pm

Monty you said shelves and dropoff???Thats gotta mean current.You also said deep water in C???To me I would want to find a rip along the closer bar first then along the outside bar,during the EBB tide.I'd wanna hit the shallow edge and swing out over the deep water.
Again I like a shad body or a hoagy/fin-s-fish on a 1 1/2 - 2 oz head this would depend on the speed of the current.Maybe even on a bucktail with a nice rind probasblly use a 70.
I'd want to cast to the right of C and let my bait go with the current and shoot out over the drop off.This would also be a good spot for a deep diver.Something that you could let sweep out over the drop off with the current and then dive it back in towards to shelf.Not seeing the whole cove I don't know how to fish across the current,but if I could I'd do that also.Trying tp go with the run first but also against it.
I'm not familar with the bait present here during this season but I would guess sand eels,spearing,maybe bunker??Could also be some blackfish/fluke swimmin about.
I really like opposing currents and slope heads I would think with the right tide this spot would be great for a swimming presentation. :lol: Then again I could be full of it and just sit on the beach cryin cause I'm afraid of the water???? :( Who knows???? :affraid:

FC cheers

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishpro 3/3/2009, 11:37 pm

O.K. I'll give this a whack... As far as what bait is around, I have no idea :roll: but before I fish :roll: ed the area I would find out. I will assume for this scenario that there are bunker, raninfish, and squid? I would fish sectionD first and fan cast the whole area working it with top water and subsurface lures(pencil popers, hogies, shallow running swimmers). Next I would work sections ABC. They are different...B looks like a cut between the sand barA and deep to flat areaC. I think I could use top water and swimmers in A&B, but C would get metals and bucktails. Also while I would fish area D by fancasting...working parallel with the beach areas ABC I would work more verticaly or perpendicular to the beach. Now last but not least you would not find me on area E without a wetsuit and a self-inflating life jacket...and I don't own any at this time sooooo I would not fish it Very Happy
fishpro
fishpro
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 393

Back to top Go down

Post  jettyjunkie 3/4/2009, 5:13 pm

bucktails
jettyjunkie
jettyjunkie

Number of posts : 633

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/4/2009, 7:08 pm

to rough haahah j/k bucktails in every hole!! cheers
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnut 3/8/2009, 4:09 pm

I would start at D first,then I would go to A because I think my name is being called from that spot.I would use bucktails.
fishnut
fishnut

Number of posts : 156

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 3/11/2009, 9:09 pm

bottle plugs or bucktails depending on the bait present
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down