Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can eat Garbage fish

+7
jettyjunkie
jfv1
Smoke
REDBASS
go4broke
Kevnmary
surffishingbum
11 posters

Go down

You can eat Garbage fish Empty You can eat Garbage fish

Post  surffishingbum 3/13/2009, 5:52 pm

Check out this website it shows you how to clean them and cook them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
surffishingbum
surffishingbum

Number of posts : 128

https://www.facebook.com/home.php

Back to top Go down

You can eat Garbage fish Empty Re: You can eat Garbage fish

Post  Kevnmary 3/13/2009, 6:39 pm

I actually broke down last week and bought a pound of filleted skate from our local Kings supermarket. I told the fish monger I had to try it since I catch so many of them and throw they all back. I have to honestly say it was pretty good. Mild flavor, white meat, moister than fluke. I bet it would be awesome in a stew or chowder.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  surffishingbum 3/13/2009, 7:30 pm

Kevnmary wrote:I actually broke down last week and bought a pound of filleted skate from our local Kings supermarket. I told the fish monger I had to try it since I catch so many of them and throw they all back. I have to honestly say it was pretty good. Mild flavor, white meat, moister than fluke. I bet it would be awesome in a stew or chowder.

I will try it this year. Is it chewy or does it flake?
surffishingbum
surffishingbum

Back to top Go down

Post  go4broke 3/13/2009, 7:57 pm

there are top tier restaurants in boston that sell "wing of skate" for big money!

I laugh every time I see it, maybe I'm the one missing out? confused
go4broke
go4broke

Number of posts : 285

http://bsplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  go4broke 3/13/2009, 8:01 pm

$39 for "roasted wing of skate" at No. 9 Park in Boston!!! :shock:
go4broke
go4broke

Back to top Go down

Post  surffishingbum 3/13/2009, 8:29 pm

go4broke wrote:$39 for "roasted wing of skate" at No. 9 Park in Boston!!! :shock:

At $39 bucks we could clean up with the amount of Skates we catch in Brigantine, NJ :lol:
surffishingbum
surffishingbum

Back to top Go down

Post  go4broke 3/13/2009, 10:55 pm

I was watching a guy early season last year catching skate after skate, and smacking them all on the dock before throwin em over. :suspect:
go4broke
go4broke

Back to top Go down

Post  surffishingbum 3/13/2009, 11:13 pm

go4broke wrote:I was watching a guy early season last year catching skate after skate, and smacking them all on the dock before throwin em over. :suspect:

That PISSESS ME off :evil: I don't understand why the hell anyone has to kill a skate, shark or any other so called garbage fish. They put up a good fight, that person had a good time fighting that fish. Why Kill it? I fished a tournament in Brigantine, NJ I was heading to my fishing spot and must of counted 20 sharks and at least 50 skates killed and left on the beach, why? I don't understand.
surffishingbum
surffishingbum

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 3/14/2009, 12:47 am

go4broke wrote:I was watching a guy early season last year catching skate after skate, and smacking them all on the dock before throwin em over. :suspect:

HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN IT IN THE HEAD AND TOSSED IN. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/14/2009, 1:53 pm

I was at a Buddys house this pat fall and he gave me a fish stick to try

I said this is awsome what it it

It was searobin tail and delicious
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 3/14/2009, 1:58 pm

does skate/wing = seascallop??
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/14/2009, 1:58 pm

Yes joe they taste so close !!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  jfv1 3/14/2009, 7:10 pm

guys i recently went to a local wegmans when i was walking trough the seafood isle when i suddenly saw skate for sale for 9.99 a lb. :affraid: , i to this day can't belive it, almost as much if not more than flounder in some areas.
jfv1
jfv1

Number of posts : 74

Back to top Go down

Post  jettyjunkie 3/15/2009, 2:53 pm

I dont know if i could eat a robin or skate :affraid:
jettyjunkie
jettyjunkie

Number of posts : 633

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 3/15/2009, 4:04 pm

SEA ROBIN IS GOOD EATING.SO IS SKATE. CAN BE USAD AS SCALLOPS. cheers
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Tossin Plugs 3/15/2009, 8:15 pm

we all should go into business selling those pain in the arse fish we all catch.
Tossin Plugs
Tossin Plugs

Number of posts : 130

Back to top Go down

Post  scoot35 3/17/2009, 10:48 pm

jettyjunkie wrote:I dont know if i could eat a robin or skate :affraid:

Years ago when I worked on a gill netter, I would bring the big sea robins home to eat. We were catching shad at the time and they taste like a$$. The sea robins are white and flakey. The fillets look really nice. I like them better than weakfish(aka sewer trout) :lol: .

scoot35

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 3/18/2009, 12:19 pm

guess it doesnt matter what they look like on the outside... Rumor around New Bedford is they punchout the skate wings with a cookie cutter and sell em to the chinese as scallops. :scratch:
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Number of posts : 264

http://www.ironlures.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 3/18/2009, 1:57 pm

I think the scallop thing is a rumor unless you're talking about super huge skates. The fillets I had looked like fingers since there is a section of cartiledge that runs through each meat section (almost like ribs) I would think that if you used a punch you'd be eating alot of cartiledge and that would not fool anyone into thinking it was scallops
The skate I bought was 6.99/lb and the meat was neither chewy or real flaky it was kind of right between the two. It was moist and almost seemed like crabmeat (but not as tasty). From what I read it seems that the tough part to keeping skates is the removal of the cartiledge and the skin, with the skin being especially difficult to deal with. Also they must be cleaned immediately as they release ammonia into their muscles as they die (much like sharks)
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Back to top Go down

You can eat Garbage fish Empty garbage fish tournament and garbage fish fry

Post  garbagefish 3/18/2009, 4:36 pm

Hey, I'm the owner of the garbagefish.com site. I got a ton of visits from this thread so I thought I'd join this forum and say hey. Great site. I didn't know about this one.

Regarding the scallop rumor, I've always heard that one, but like one poster said, it would have to be a really big skate. But still, the meat is striated and very unlike scallop. Yet, people always say that is done (cookie cutter punch of wing to immitate scallop) so maybe there is something to it. ?? Either way, they really do taste good. I was introduced to them about 7 years ago at a restaurant in Baltimore. I saw it on the menu and had to have it. Sautee'd in a white wine sauce with capers, it was good eatin'. I thought to myself, why do I throw these things back. Then I tried to clean my first one and got stung. They have venomous spines on their back and although they can't whip that at you like a sting ray can, if it happens to puncture you skin it feels like a bee sting. Gloves from then on in.

We are doing a garbage fish tournament out of Forked River NJ on July 18 followed by a garbage fish fry. Will be more details over at the site. We are hoping to gain some legs on this and help out our fluke fisheries by promoting responsible catch and filet of the species we call garbage. As the regs get tougher and tougher on fluke, we are seeking to somehow bounce the populations up so eventually they'll have to relax. Not trying to get too political, just trying to be proactive and have some fun in the process.

Brian
garbagefish.com

garbagefish

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 3/18/2009, 4:41 pm

Welcome Brian

I can't help but feel if people knew that you can eat some of these fish and they actually taste good, we'd have less of a problem when we were targeting fluke. Now if we could only somehow get that damn dogfish off the protected list! :evil:
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 3/18/2009, 9:31 pm

Kevnmary wrote:Welcome Brian

I can't help but feel if people knew that you can eat some of these fish and they actually taste good, we'd have less of a problem when we were targeting fluke. Now if we could only somehow get that damn dogfish off the protected list! :evil:

WELCOME BRIAN . I UNDER STAND WAHT YOU ARE AYING ABOUT THE FLUKE POPULATIONS. BUT TELLING THEM SKATES AND ROBINS ARE GREAT EATING. THEY WILL TAKE ALL THEY CAN. IN RETURN THAT CAN OFF SET THE BALANCE OF THE FISHERY. WHICH COULD HURT US MORE IN THE LONG RUN. I DONT KNOW IF THATS A GOOD THING OR BAD THING. confused confused confused confused confused
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  surffishingbum 3/18/2009, 11:05 pm

REDBASS wrote:
Kevnmary wrote:Welcome Brian

WELCOME BRIAN . I UNDER STAND WAHT YOU ARE AYING ABOUT THE FLUKE POPULATIONS. BUT TELLING THEM SKATES AND ROBINS ARE GREAT EATING. THEY WILL TAKE ALL THEY CAN. IN RETURN THAT CAN OFF SET THE BALANCE OF THE FISHERY. WHICH COULD HURT US MORE IN THE LONG RUN. I DONT KNOW IF THATS A GOOD THING OR BAD THING. confused confused confused confused confused

The balance of the fishery is already off set. Maybe if we start targeting other species (Garbage Fish) it would alleviate some of the pressure on the Fluke. Just my opinion. You can eat Garbage fish 962367
surffishingbum
surffishingbum

Back to top Go down

Post  garbagefish 3/19/2009, 8:44 am

We thought long and hard about it - in regards to whether this would somehow be a good or bad thing. We truly ended up realizing that some people would have a tough time with it and maybe think it's sending the wrong message, but that overall, more good would come from it.

I don't think atleast at the moment, that we are in any danger of depleting the skate, sea robin and dogfish from our waters. We are merely suggesting to people that these are viable fisheries and viable table fare. Heck, good table fare if you know how to use them. The end result will hopefully be, people will have fun with it, a better balance will occur since they prey on juvenile fluke, winter flounder, and many other species, it will help the bait shops, charter guys/head boats, etc. and if nothing else, you learned how to eat garbage.

If all that sounds a little too optimistic, that's ok too. Just trying to be proactive, help if possible, and have fun with a fun idea. But I definately appreciate the feedback.

brian

garbagefish

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down