Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How would you fish this #1

+5
REDBASS
jettyjunkie
Oldsalts
Minivin5
monty
9 posters

Go down

How would you fish this #1 Empty How would you fish this #1

Post  monty 2/20/2009, 4:00 am

Guys,
I do this on anther site, thought I would do it here. I took a basic montauk picture of Hither hills state park. What we will do is look at the picture, assess the structure of the area and how you would go about fishing it. Sounds good? Ok Heres the pic. Pic was taken in late october, waters around 56 degrees.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What are the structures of ABCD

A-Looks like a shelf dropoff from a bar, deeper water. You can see where the structure is from were the white water forms.

B And D- Thought I'd put these 2 together, because both of them indicate structure. There is a lot of white water, booth forward and eeper out which leads me to beleive up front by B is a bar, and A is a dropoff, or Now a trough because of D, which could be a sandbar in deeper water.

C- Obviously a trough in the bar, from the looks of white water up close and out far and the deeper water (C) in between.

What is the primary bait arond now?

Since its late october, you can expect juvy bunker (peanut bunker) and maybe a lbunker run too. The rain bait and and anchovies would have most likely moved out to warmer water. You can get a herring run, although that normally happens in mid Nov.

How are you going to fish this area? Setup, what you will wear, Plugs Ect

I would fish this are with my 11ft kennedy fischer stick, but with 30lb fireline spooled on my vs 250g. Why not the 65 LB? Because its mostly a sand beach, no need for that extra strenght from large rocks. No need for a wetsuit here, there isnt many areas you can go to unless you want to swim o that distant bar and get screwed in the prcess. Waders with a drytop should do fine. For Plugs, Pencils in the day, Bucktails, tins heavy poppers. You need stuff to cut through the wind. Most of these plugs are going to ride high in the water column with these conditions anyways. at night a 3oz gibbs bottle, black bucktails and SS darters shoud do he trick. Remember, we have big bait so big plugs.

What tide are you gonna fish, Why!
With the breaks in the bar and the troughs, I would fish this area at flood to ebb. Why? Because you have bait moving in the trought of the bars, and when the water recedes the bait gets caught up in he area.

Where will you target most and why

I would target over to the right by C. With the trough there, bait should be stuck and holding. The shelf on the left should also be good for big needles worked slowly. Big bass are lazy feeders and often hang out offthe edge of shelf and bars waiting for aitfish to go by. Easy meal.

What about you Guys? I wanna Hear!
Nick

monty

Number of posts : 290

Back to top Go down

How would you fish this #1 Empty Re: How would you fish this #1

Post  Minivin5 2/21/2009, 2:29 pm

Personally I would cast to all areas from as many angles possible, but I live in an area where I will not be mugged of my spot. The reasons you listed are valid but in a blitz all that goes right out the door. Now that being said if I was to be night fishing and I knew where the structure was, I would cast just beyond said structure and work my bait by the edge, knowing that the bigger fish are lurking to capitalize on an easy meal.

Down my way the strike zone usually is a shadow line that has nothing to do with bottom or structure , but I am dealing with water that is Gin clear even with waves.
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsalts 2/21/2009, 6:41 pm

Well if i am fishing bait i would use fresh clams and put a rod setup in each place..

With that being said A-C would be in closer and B-D would be out just in front of the second set of breakers....JMT ....matbe thats why we don't catch crap....lol
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jettyjunkie 2/22/2009, 12:01 am

Bucktails
jettyjunkie
jettyjunkie

Number of posts : 633

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 2/22/2009, 12:50 am

IF I WAS FISHING AT NIGHT I WOULD USE BUCKTAILS. EARLY MORNINGI WOULD BE USING POPPERS OR SUBSURFACE SWIMMERS
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 2/22/2009, 1:11 am

monty wrote:Guys,
I do this on anther site, thought I would do it here. I took a basic montauk picture of Hither hills state park. What we will do is look at the picture, assess the structure of the area and how you would go about fishing it. Sounds good? Ok Heres the pic. Pic was taken in late october, waters around 56 degrees.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What are the structures of ABCD

A-Looks like a shelf dropoff from a bar, deeper water. You can see where the structure is from were the white water forms.

B And D- Thought I'd put these 2 together, because both of them indicate structure. There is a lot of white water, booth forward and eeper out which leads me to beleive up front by B is a bar, and A is a dropoff, or Now a trough because of D, which could be a sandbar in deeper water.

C- Obviously a trough in the bar, from the looks of white water up close and out far and the deeper water (C) in between.

What is the primary bait arond now?

Since its late october, you can expect juvy bunker (peanut bunker) and maybe a lbunker run too. The rain bait and and anchovies would have most likely moved out to warmer water. You can get a herring run, although that normally happens in mid Nov.

How are you going to fish this area? Setup, what you will wear, Plugs Ect

I would fish this are with my 11ft kennedy fischer stick, but with 30lb fireline spooled on my vs 250g. Why not the 65 LB? Because its mostly a sand beach, no need for that extra strenght from large rocks. No need for a wetsuit here, there isnt many areas you can go to unless you want to swim o that distant bar and get screwed in the prcess. Waders with a drytop should do fine. For Plugs, Pencils in the day, Bucktails, tins heavy poppers. You need stuff to cut through the wind. Most of these plugs are going to ride high in the water column with these conditions anyways. at night a 3oz gibbs bottle, black bucktails and SS darters shoud do he trick. Remember, we have big bait so big plugs.

What tide are you gonna fish, Why!
With the breaks in the bar and the troughs, I would fish this area at flood to ebb. Why? Because you have bait moving in the trought of the bars, and when the water recedes the bait gets caught up in he area.

Where will you target most and why

I would target over to the right by C. With the trough there, bait should be stuck and holding. The shelf on the left should also be good for big needles worked slowly. Big bass are lazy feeders and often hang out offthe edge of shelf and bars waiting for aitfish to go by. Easy meal.

What about you Guys? I wanna Hear!
Nick

I would start fishing 1-1.5 hours into outgoing.I would start by casting a storm shad(my goto) from the top of illistration A.I would fan cast the area and proceed through to area B following the trough to this area.This wouldn't take alot of time.I would then work the same area with something in the top of the water column.I would probablly throw a bomber type plug. After this with the same bait I'd hit the back of C pulling from the top of the B hole down almost parallel to the back of C.If this failed I'd let it sit till almost Low then hit it again in areas A thruogh B with a 1 oz bucktail and rind slow slow slow!!!!!

FC :lol:

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  monty 2/22/2009, 1:20 am

Guys,
Good responses here. FC, You had some very good points. Theres more than 1 way to fish this area. your response wtht hte shad showed one, targetting deeper water. Big shad, Big bait is a perfect way to match the hatch. The bomber would be a good idea but you want something that is going to hold grounf in rough conditions. You would have trouble presentng the bomber int hsi condiitons. Almost perfect on the bucktail though. Slow retrive would let it drop a little in the water collumn.
Nick

monty

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 2/22/2009, 1:33 am

monty wrote:Guys,
Good responses here. FC, You had some very good points. Theres more than 1 way to fish this area. your response wtht hte shad showed one, targetting deeper water. Big shad, Big bait is a perfect way to match the hatch. The bomber would be a good idea but you want something that is going to hold grounf in rough conditions. You would have trouble presentng the bomber int hsi condiitons. Almost perfect on the bucktail though. Slow retrive would let it drop a little in the water collumn.
Nick

OPPS YEA GOTTA LOAD IT DUH??!?!!? The bomber I mean-- forgot to mention that.

I like it gettin tossed around and loaded it rides lower almost netrual in boyancy.

FC cheers

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

How would you fish this #1 Empty WOW

Post  RobertRR 2/25/2009, 7:09 pm

I never thought I had to be so smart to fish! :study: I myself would drink a beer at the A spot and fish there for a while....if i had no luck there I would scamper over to D and have a beer there....If no luck there I would jump over to B and have a beer there...if no luck there I would stumble over to C have a beer there...if I had no luck there I would crawl back over to A and start over again. :geek:
RobertRR
RobertRR

Number of posts : 76

http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=32304

Back to top Go down

How would you fish this #1 Empty Trick ?

Post  mikeybonz 2/26/2009, 7:13 pm

hahah this is a Trick ? i got it 🇳🇴 see the smiley he's tell me to setup shop and fish all 4 areas, i believe in him !!! Roast a clam on 1ft setup and grab my "old faithfull" to throw some bucktails between D and B. i like the way ur presentedthis post great post MONTY!!!! tight lines Mb
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  needlefish 2/27/2009, 7:18 pm

i would fish that drop off at letter A. i found a spot like that this fall and it produced consistantly for me .
needlefish
needlefish

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  monty 2/27/2009, 9:35 pm

needlefish wrote:i would fish that drop off at letter A. i found a spot like that this fall and it produced consistantly for me .
Drops arevery productive areas, mainly because you will have big lazy bass, that wait for an easy meal. Good choice.

Thank you everyone for the nice words! I like what I saw. Im about to put up another now, so check it out soon!
Nick

monty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down