Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Flood tide Striper fishing

2 posters

Go down

High Flood tide Striper fishing Empty High Flood tide Striper fishing

Post  CaptFrank 6/6/2012, 12:27 pm

I've been out a few times, but have been shirking my reports. Rich invited me out for a trip last night in his little boat. Figured on looking around for some Stripers and Blues. We went over to one of the shore towns and tried to launch at a ramp that we use often, but found that it was severely flooded. The road in was covered with about 8 inches of water. Not good for one's vehicle. So, we pulled the boat off the trailer and walked it down the road to the ramp. We actually saw fish all over the road as we walked along.
Once we got to the ramp we headed out for our spot. Once there we found that the tide was still incoming, and moving at a very rapid pace. To say it was a heavy current is an understatement. We settled in and started fishing. I got nailed first cast, with what I'm guessing was a Bluefish, but I lost it at the boat. Next two casts had the same results. Meanwhile, Rich was in the back of the boat plotting his Bluefishing strategy. I was tossing two pink Slug-go's, one as a teaser, the larger on a 1/2 oz. jig. Rich tossed one of my fly teasers (white) and a small Crocodile spoon. He started to bang the Blues! He landed 6 and 2 nice Atlantic Herring. I just got bumps and bite offs. I tried a variety of metals and jigs, including bucktails, but couldn't hook up. Rich was hot. He must've stepped in something, as he never beats me like this!
As the current started to slack out, Bass started to pop along the structure. So, I switched up to my Striper rig, and was quickly hooked into a nice fat shorty. After a nice fight, I released my first fish of the night. And being a Striper, it equalled Richs' 6 Blues! After that I caught a Blue. And then, after I switched over to a Berkley Power Jerk Shad, I nailed the fish of the night. I tossed right into the structure and let it drift back. I never felt the take, but when I came tight, the rod bent to the water and the line started screaming off. It was a nice Striper! Every time I gained a foot, she took 3. Back and forth we went. I was finally gaining on her and getting near the boat when she decided to head for the bottom. Not a thing I could do but watch the line peel off. Once she was down she headed out, got into the current, and my line parted. Great battle, but I lost. But, that's fishing, and that's what makes it so much fun!
After that, the current really started to scream out, huge rafts of reeds and debris started to drift through at 90 MPH, so we decided to call it a night. Fish were still popping, but they always missed anything we threw at them. Guess they are not good at judging when to strike in that sort of current. We'll get 'em next time...

Tight Lines!
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Number of posts : 230

http://www.brynnie-binshorefishing.com

Back to top Go down

High Flood tide Striper fishing Empty Re: High Flood tide Striper fishing

Post  JeffL 6/6/2012, 9:35 pm

Nice report.. cheers
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER