Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wind knots

+5
BrianM38
Smoke
phish4stripers
fishincrazy
rockfishsmartie
9 posters

Go down

wind knots Empty wind knots

Post  rockfishsmartie 3/17/2009, 2:52 pm

here is my take on wind knots, i here a lot of people complain about braid or power pro , sayin it stinks ill never use it again im switching to suffix , and then they switch and the same thing happens, dam
when u cast say a 2oz plug or lure and u retrieve the line goes on the spool fairly tight , but throwing say a red fin or a mombo minnow and u make a nice slow retreive ure line goes on very loose , and when u make that next cast and put some umf behind it u get a misterious birds nest in the air and u say to ur self my last cast was fine what happend
when that line goes back on ur reel all loose and u make that next cast the line comews of the spool to quick and get caught up in to each other
i noticed this last year when fishing on a calm night casting to popping fish i was throwing a small mombo and every 3rd cast i would get a wind knot and there is now wind but if i put on a heaveyer lure it wouldnt happen , so evry 3 casts i would retrieve my lure in with me holding the line so it would go on tight and the wind knot never appered again
tight lines chris
rockfishsmartie
rockfishsmartie

Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

wind knots Empty Re: wind knots

Post  fishincrazy 3/17/2009, 2:57 pm

I've been readin up on this phenom of wind knots.I've read that guy's are using lubricant on their line to prevent this from happening.I saw Roland Martin usin this stuff and thought whats he pushin now???But I've read some articles (the in fisherman) that seem to say this helps avoid those nasty wind knots.I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I can remember what the spray is called.

FC :affraid:

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phish4stripers 3/17/2009, 3:06 pm

Another method to cut down on wind knots when using braid.........

Before you go out for the night walk about a hundred or so yards of line off of your reel with no lures or weight on it.
Reel the line back onto the spool while pinching it. You will see the line spin as it is coming in and you will have line
that lays flat and tight on your spool. If you still can see the twist repeat the process.

The other thing is to not overload the spool with braid. You are destined for a wicked bird nest and an annoying time
getting it undone.

Matt

phish4stripers

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 3/17/2009, 3:11 pm

[quote="phish4stripers"]Another method to cut down on wind knots when using braid.........

Before you go out for the night walk about a hundred or so yards of line off of your reel with no lures or weight on it.
Reel the line back onto the spool while pinching it. You will see the line spin as it is coming in and you will have line
that lays flat and tight on your spool. If you still can see the twist repeat the process.

The other thing is to not overload the spool with braid. You are destined for a wicked bird nest and an annoying time
getting it undone.

Matt[/quote
Matt,good tip BRO.How ya feeling?good to see ya posting lol!
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianM38 3/17/2009, 3:19 pm

I have made it a ritual after about 5 or 6 trips.

What I have done and learned from this method has dramaticly cut down on my wind knots. Wat I do is tie on the biggest ball bearing swivel I can find. On the other end I made a haness out of 80 lb mono. The harness is nothing more than a 6 inch loop that I hook onto the ball hitch of my truck. I back my truck up to the edge of a grass lot, hook the harness on my ball hitch and walk the line all the way out to the backing. DO NOT DO THIS OVER ASPHALT!!!!. You will fray your line. I then tightly reel in the line. If you stand by the swivel while somebody reels in the line, you will be amazed how much line twist is actually in your line by how much the swivel spins.
BrianM38
BrianM38

Number of posts : 119

Back to top Go down

Post  chowhound 3/17/2009, 4:04 pm

When I have new braid put on my reel I go to the beach and cast a heavy metal. This gets my line layed on the way the reel puts it not the machine.
Machine applied line is layed on flat and close to the lip the way it should be. However a VS puts the line back in a slight hour glass pattern. Now the line is close to going over the lip. I now cast out reel back and stop when the line looks good in relation with the spool lip. I cut the line and hand ret the metal. First wind knot out of the way. As mentioned before, every once in awhile I hold the line as I ret a light lure. If I remember I try to make my last cast with a metal and pinch the line and lay it back on tight.
This has cut way down on wind knots for me.
chowhound
chowhound

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  rockfishsmartie 3/17/2009, 4:31 pm

i understand line twist has something to do with it , but i can cast a pencil all day with out a wind knot but when it comes to those light plugs with a slow retrieve thats when the wind knots happen , i never had a wind not casting heavier plugs or lead , only the light stuff with a slow retrieve
rockfishsmartie
rockfishsmartie

Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 3/17/2009, 6:36 pm

good post rockfish i know exactly wat your saying!!! freshwater i have that happen to me every time out, but i still stick with braid on some rods just feel more safe knowing i wont lose a big fish!! mike :scratch: :scratch:
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  phish4stripers 3/17/2009, 7:01 pm

Hey Joe,

Sitting on my back healing up my foot as we speak.

Martie in relation to the pencil, you usually wont have windknot problems with a large lure like a pencil.
If you work the pencil without putting tension on the line your just asking for a wind knot.

Jay that is a great point concerning working out the line when you get it spooled. Its so important to not over load the spool.

phish4stripers

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  soot 3/17/2009, 10:52 pm

Or you could just switch to Suffix and not have to worry about walking off line, pinching line on retrieve, or any of this other stuff.

Or at least that's been my experience. 30# Suffix = zero wind knot problems when throwing plugs.

I have nothing against PowerPro at 50#+ and still use it on by deadsticking rod.

But for lighter applications (plugs) I've found that Suffix eliminates all the bullshit work-arounds that PP necessitates.

I also just spooled a reel with 20# Fireline because I've been given to believe that that is even better with weights in the 3/8ths to 1 oz range. No experience with it yet, I'll post a review at the end of the spring or whenever I decise that it's crap and respool my reel (if necessary).
soot
soot
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  surffishn 3/18/2009, 12:54 am

Another tip if using a reel with bail.Close the bail by hand.Do not trip bail by cranking the reel handle.

surffishn
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down