Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VanStaal Pliers

+3
smitty
tom1276
126andy
7 posters

Go down

VanStaal Pliers Empty VanStaal Pliers

Post  126andy 5/2/2010, 8:58 pm

So I went out fishing today (no fish) I did manage to get a treble hook in my leg of my hip boots. Not a very heavy hook, it was in a bad area, so I figured that I would cut the barbed end with my pliers since I just put brand new cutters on the this year and they haven't been used yet. I go to cut the hook and this is what happened:
I wouldn't think this should happen with a quality pair of pliers on the very first cut.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
126andy
126andy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 711

http://afteryoufishing.com

Back to top Go down

VanStaal Pliers Empty Re: VanStaal Pliers

Post  tom1276 5/2/2010, 9:15 pm

Send them back and tell them you want a REFUND. F That..... As expensive as they are Ya think that they would hold up.

wow wow wow wow wow wow
tom1276
tom1276

Number of posts : 572

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 5/2/2010, 9:47 pm

ouch that sucks looks like you got a bad cutter
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  njplugger 5/2/2010, 10:09 pm

Perhaps they weren't heat treated properly.

Definitely talk to them, bet they stand behind them.
njplugger
njplugger

Number of posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 5/2/2010, 10:31 pm

that sucks no fish and busted your expensive pliers...... it sucks to have something like that happen.... thousands of them have probably been made... some probably got through quality control that shouldn't have and unfortunately you ended up with one of those... also think about where they are being made... the quality control over there is well let's just say less than perfect...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  126andy 5/3/2010, 12:21 am

The Anvil part just shattered like if it was frozen and someone hit it with a hammer.
126andy
126andy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 5/3/2010, 7:49 am

those pliers are suppose to be able to cut hooks? i carry around a 7" or 8" cutter i got through work. costs like nothing and can cut things like a metal shopping cart like butter. i know it's something extra to carry around but will be well worth it when i get a hook in me somewhere...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  126andy 5/3/2010, 10:31 am

holymackeral wrote:those pliers are suppose to be able to cut hooks? i carry around a 7" or 8" cutter i got through work. costs like nothing and can cut things like a metal shopping cart like butter. i know it's something extra to carry around but will be well worth it when i get a hook in me somewhere...

Apparently not I would have thought that a high end pliers would do it all. My cheapo Manleys cut hooks like butter and never went dull but not these.
Here's the answer I got this morning from the customer service of VanStaal.
I heard back from VanStaal customer service. They said that the cutters weren't made to cut any kind of metal just line. They are going to send me a new pair of cutters though.

I guess that I'll either have to pick up something that can cut metal or go back to my Manleys.

They do have good and fast customer service
126andy
126andy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  njplugger 5/3/2010, 12:28 pm

Andy,

Well you can't argue with VS with that reply.

I'm sure many guys out there think that those pliers are capable of cutting hooks.

That is good to know though before buying such expensive pliers!

They probably do cut some of the softer hooks, but the VMCs are just too hard.

Regarding the quality control thing though, seems if they actually checked each set of jaws after heat treat there might evidence of the dimple that the Rockwell tester leaves after it impacts the piece.

Anyway guess since they are only intended for line, they aren't really concerned with the hardness to that degree.

Sounds like a good idea to have the Manleys around, just in case.
njplugger
njplugger

Number of posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  technologist 5/3/2010, 12:47 pm

That's why I stick with the Manley's. They cut hooks easily. Just make sure you keep them lubricated....
technologist
technologist

Number of posts : 475

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 5/3/2010, 12:50 pm

That whole situation sucks Andy. I guess we all figure we're getting more then we pay for. I don't believe any of the hand held pliers are made to really cut hooks. Back to the Manleys
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  126andy 5/3/2010, 4:29 pm

These are my Manleys, I bought them in 1972 for $40.00 (which was a lot at the time since a good salary back then was about 7,00 a year.They have been used and abused, they cut hooks 5.0 & 6.0 like nothing not to mention all of the hooks from umbrella rigs that people got caught in their legs and arms back in the day. This finish is a little messed up but they still cut like butter and have never had the cutters replaced. I can't believe that thery are still selling Manleys for $40.00 today. I just got the van staals because they were lighter and I thought they could handle a hook or two.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
126andy
126andy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down