Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High/low or Fishfinder rig ?

+4
RocksandReds
The Surfrat
dozer 277
highhook
8 posters

Go down

High/low or Fishfinder rig ? Empty High/low or Fishfinder rig ?

Post  highhook 11/4/2009, 1:17 am

Was curious to find out what you guys prefer more when surf fishing. The fishfinder or a high/low rig ? I personally like the high/ low. I tried the fishfinder and found that the fish I landed had a deeper hookset(not always though), sometimes to deep. The fish has time to swallow the bait before you even know you have a hit. We cut the line or damage his inners....does he live or die...we don't know. I make my own high /low.. 100lb test(blus hate it ) 7 ft. long with two 5-6" dropper loops which allows the bait to move around a little, the bottom hook is 3' off bottom. Like I said, I fished both rigs and can't say one caught more than the other , their but good but the high/low always have mouth hooksets. What do you use and why ?? Tight lines all. Peace

highhook

Number of posts : 160

Back to top Go down

High/low or Fishfinder rig ? Empty Re: High/low or Fishfinder rig ?

Post  dozer 277 11/4/2009, 11:39 am

high low but without the low. (crabs) take about 5 ft of 40lb mono or flouro, swivel at one end snap at the other and a dropper loop in the middle about 8-10 inches long. i dont catch anything so maybe i should rethink this.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  The Surfrat 11/4/2009, 2:44 pm

I use a fish finder setup. I snell a 9/0 or 10/0 Gami octopus using 6 to 8 inches of 80lb floro to a swivel. I then hold my rod. This will insure an immediate hookset from me. Don't spike your rod and you’ll minimize gut hooking fish.
The Surfrat
The Surfrat

Number of posts : 84

http://www.baysideanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RocksandReds 11/5/2009, 12:03 am

I use both but I perfer the fish finder rig, 8/0 Gami 6" 80# floro leader. Never had a gut hook issue.
RocksandReds
RocksandReds

Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Driftwood 11/5/2009, 9:46 am

I use both depending on what bait I'm using.
Driftwood
Driftwood

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 11/5/2009, 9:37 pm

The Surfrat wrote:I use a fish finder setup. I snell a 9/0 or 10/0 Gami octopus using 6 to 8 inches of 80lb floro to a swivel. I then hold my rod. This will insure an immediate hookset from me. Don't spike your rod and you’ll minimize gut hooking fish.

Same rig except I use a minimum12" leader and a Gami circle
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 11/5/2009, 9:45 pm

The Surfrat wrote:I use a fish finder setup. I snell a 9/0 or 10/0 Gami octopus using 6 to 8 inches of 80lb floro to a swivel. I then hold my rod. This will insure an immediate hookset from me. Don't spike your rod and you’ll minimize gut hooking fish.
I use the same setup,only i use 12in of 80"coated/wire.Yes hold your rod at all times,for a faster hook/up..
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  A.O.K. 11/17/2009, 8:51 pm

what he said ^^^^^^^^
A.O.K.
A.O.K.

Number of posts : 249

http://www.aoktackle.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down