Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!!

+7
Driftwood
AKScuba
first2wins
rebelmusicnp
Smoke
smitty
fishincrazy
11 posters

Go down

JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!! Empty JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!!

Post  fishincrazy 7/12/2009, 2:59 pm

Fishin from the rocks can be alot of fun!!!! JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!! 92223 But it can be dangerous!!! mad One of our premier members took a spill on saturday.I asked if he had Korkers on he said NO!!!! :??????: I love to fish from Jetty's.I always wear some type of Korker when fishing the rocks!!!There are some very good precautions to take when fishing from the rocks,post up your gear and recommendations for safe Jetty fishin.Remember there aint no fish worth your life!!!!

#1 Gear recommendation for me Korkers!!!!!!!!!

FC

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!! Empty Re: JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!!

Post  smitty 7/12/2009, 4:08 pm

JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!! 622665 that would be me lol..... man if i had it to do all over again i would not have went on the jetty cause i am in a ton of pain today my back is killing me my arms from slamming down on the rocks are killing me and my ego is crushed lol..

if i did not have my backpack on with all my plugs in it im sure i would have cracked my head open.

just a note i was no even close to the high tide line on the jetty i had just walked on to it and from the morning due the rock were still slick as snot on a todler....
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 7/12/2009, 4:28 pm

:king: GWS,stay away from the rocks,they win all the time.. :help:
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 7/12/2009, 8:29 pm

fishincrazy wrote:Fishin from the rocks can be alot of fun!!!! JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!! 92223 But it can be dangerous!!! mad One of our premier members took a spill on saturday.I asked if he had Korkers on he said NO!!!! :??????: I love to fish from Jetty's.I always wear some type of Korker when fishing the rocks!!!There are some very good precautions to take when fishing from the rocks,post up your gear and recommendations for safe Jetty fishin.Remember there aint no fish worth your life!!!!

#1 Gear recommendation for me Korkers!!!!!!!!!

FC

you have jetties out in PA? Very Happy
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  first2wins 7/12/2009, 10:45 pm

No jetties in PA, but we have some slick river rocks…I went down in slow motion on sat. Ended up sitting down.

#2 make sure someone knows you are out there. Better with a partner.

“I get knocked down, but I get up again. Because your never gunna keep me down’
first2wins
first2wins

Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 7/12/2009, 10:54 pm

Smitty your doin it wrong.... I tried korkers once but dont use them, I jump all over jetties like a mountain goat or a fish outta water since Im usually floppin towards gettin into the water now :p
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

Post  Driftwood 7/13/2009, 9:46 am

If you don't want to wear "korkers" an old pair of Golf shoes will also work.
Driftwood
Driftwood

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  IRON LURES 7/13/2009, 11:23 am

Dont feel bad, same things happened to me. Last season while fishing on lunchbreak, i slipped off a rock on the New Bedford dike and ended up about waste deep and had to go back to work like that for the rest of the afternoon. Definately not my finest moment, but funny none the less!
IRON LURES
IRON LURES
SPONSOR
SPONSOR

Number of posts : 264

http://www.ironlures.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kermic 7/13/2009, 11:54 am

I can't emphasize the importance of korkers on jetties. I absolutely love jetty fishing, but it is friggin'dangerous. I don't think most ppl. take it serious until they take a hard fall- then you realize how dangerous it is. I got knocked over last season by a rogue wave on a jetty last year- split my leg wide open, my arms, legs, back and ass was hurting for several days later. I kept thinking how lucky I was I didn't split my head open or get lodged between the rocks. I was wearing korkers too- probably the only thing that kept me from any sort of major head injury as I probably just fell back rather than "flip". I just picked up a new pair of 1100+ over the weekend, laced them up with hockey laces and they are sweeeet! I've been using the buckled K5000 for 3 seasons now, and they are in perfect shape, just wanted to say that they very heavy so walking any distance is a bit hard.

kermic

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  REDBASS 7/13/2009, 1:35 pm

HAVE TOO WEAR KORKERS WHEN PLAYING ON THE JETTIES AND ANY PLAY THAT HAS A LOT OF ROCK. A WALKING STICK HELPS OUT WHEN IN THE WATER WITH ROCKY BOTTOM. IT ALSO LETS YOU FIND A PATCH OF SAND OR STEEDY YOUR SELF GOING FROM ROCK TOO ROCK.HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTER SMITTY. JETTY JUMPIN!!!!!! 962367

Last edited by REDBASS on 7/18/2009, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWogg 7/14/2009, 8:48 am

A pair of Road Island Rock Hoppers are a must,no korkers ,no chance,it would be suicidal with out em ! mad :??????: :help: :affraid:
TheWogg
TheWogg

Number of posts : 423

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 7/17/2009, 3:55 pm

Good deal guy's!!Rocks of all kinds are great for fishin,but dangerous.A little precaution can go a long way!!!

FC cheers

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

Back to top Go down

Post  first2wins 7/20/2009, 1:24 am

most of this is noting new to most but i wrote it up for some that in a local kayak club i belong to that occasionaly make there way to the shore.

Korkers

When looking for Korkers I didn’t know the difference between the different styles nor did I look into them. I just grabbed the first pair I found and they were the K1000 lace ups. I also don’t ever remember having much problem on many of the jetties I ran on as a kid (nice flat and dry), but some of the jetties I have been on lately are quite slick and these things are a must.

Although the K1000’s are better than nothing, you still have to keep your wits about you or you will fall. believe me on this one I have taken some good ones and they are no fun. Yes you can step on slick rocks and have traction, but there is a lot of area where the studs are not and those spots can put you in a lot of pain when dodging waves or trying to hold on an approaching roller comes your way.

This year my studs are looking pretty bad and I have been well overdo in replacing them so they are scary. Using my little brother and a few friends who have expressed interest in fishing with me I recently picked up a new pair.

The other day I grabbed a set of the K1000 Plus Korkers and boy are they loaded with studs. This past weekend was the first time using them and they are hands down without question a better pair of Korkers. So much better that I actually feel bad for offering my old pair to someone. Like usual I took caution in where I stepped, but in areas where I had trouble with my previous Korkers, even when brand new, I had no issue when using the K1000 Plus set. I was even able to make some moves I wouldn’t even have tried in my old pair. I am so confident in these that I just may not offer the other set to anyone.

Korkers makes another model the K5000 and I have yet to try them on so I cannot speak to how they perform or if there studs will last any longer than other models. I do how ever know they more rugged and have a solid lip around the areas where buckled straps have replaced laces and cloth that. This set also has replaceable studs and they are screw ins. But the extra weight is something I have little desire to try out on my long walks.

Is one pair better than the next? I feel confident in saying that the K1000 Plus are far superior to the K1000 pair. Both have replaceable studs and laces (the laces should be replaced) but once the actual cloth lace attachments go, I think you are done or have to rig something up on your own. I suppose the straps and buckles on the K5000 can be replaced along with the screw in studs on this pair, but i don’t know if the studs will last any longer on one over the other or if they are any easier to replace than the push through.

All I know is I am glad I neglected to replace the studs on my K1000’s and picked up a set of K1000 Plus.

Good luck and be safe out there,

Jason
first2wins
first2wins

Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down