Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memorial Day weekend LBI report

+5
Rick..stillcasting
Oldsalts
rebelmusicnp
Rlyman1
AKScuba
9 posters

Go down

Memorial Day weekend LBI report Empty Memorial Day weekend LBI report

Post  AKScuba 5/24/2009, 11:52 pm

Ugh, where to start.... fished LBI friday, plugs and bait, starting at 3PM into saturday around 8 or 9AM. WE fished the beach and the inlet with plugs during the daytime, hit the very tip of the south jetty and saw some blues crashing bunker WAY out in the channel. Switched over to bait for sunset and had no luck at a few different spots we tried. Went to a few back bay spots with plugs, heard the fish right near us popping but no luck once again.

Our usual fish in the inlet were being finicky this weekend, only bumps on plugs that worked last weekend so we tried clam on a hook with no weight. Rob got 3 fish, 2 shorts and his keeper. I got nothing. We climbed all over the rocks at slack tide poking around and I looked into a crevice.. A redheaded swimmer was stuck in there. I was dead certain it was the one I lost my keeper striper on last weekend, but turns out it was a nicer yozuri plug. Tossed it into the bag.

We headed for the beach for sunrise,Got lost on the north end and had to walk through the dunes to find the beach with the fog. I managed a skate so we packed it up and headed south. it was a long morning, we fell asleep on the beach with our rods locked in our knees. Woke up to some D-bag with a surf cart who had set up one rod on one side of us and 2 on the other side, we were close to one of the little LBI jetties and he had basically set up around us. WTF. We packed up and left and ran back to the house for a shower and some food.

Rob with his fish -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Rob with the new rod storage system -

Saturday daytime found us taking a break from fishing and doing some thinking and hanging out avoiding traffic during the day and taking a nap after being awake for almost 26 hours straight, not counting the 10 minute powernaps. I threw my freediving gear on after Rob told me his grandmother had mentioned a sunken kayak in his lagoon. Well we found it....

I located it after swimming a "mow the lawn" search pattern for 2 minutes. Tied a marker buoy on and swam back down to it, figured Id give it a yank. It was stuck hard in the mud so I surfaced, pumped up again and swam back down. Had a bitch of a time finding the thing again with the viz kicked up but I found it. Planted my feet and gave it a good yank and it popped out of the mud. We spent another 2 hours trying to drain the thing and get it up out of the water, it finally drained enough that we got it out. We're gonna clean it up, fix the 3 little holes and put it to good use cheers

Saturday night found us zipping around deadsticking bunker chunks at a few spots. On our way to the north end these two SMOKIN HOT girls in a mustang were kind enough to blow kisses to me and Rob for about 10 minutes. Considering we looked like hell it lifted our spirits.. I almost followed em but fishing was on the brain.

Smitty came out and met up with us so we tried one of our pluggin spots, to no avail. Went to the inlet and I got this little guy on a redheaded swimmer I found in the rocks Friday night.

I'll let Rob chime in as he may remember a little bit more then I do. Everything kinda mushed together and Im still not thinking straight.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Number of posts : 1162

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day weekend LBI report Empty Re: Memorial Day weekend LBI report

Post  AKScuba 5/25/2009, 12:22 am

And I forgot, read on another site that freedivers were seeing 30-36" bass in the inlet... Im about to go back to spearfishing lol!
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  Rlyman1 5/25/2009, 2:06 am

pretty sure you nailed it on the head bud. One thing smitty may remember is you jumping out of your waders into a full sprint to grab your rod (which was 3 feet away) thinking you had a bite which turned out to be a wave cheers all in all still had a good time out there and that first keeper of the season was delicious had him tonight
Rlyman1
Rlyman1

Number of posts : 161

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 5/25/2009, 7:39 am

scuba....head north young man.....head north.
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsalts 5/25/2009, 8:17 am

Hey sounds like you guys had a great couple of days .!!!!

Skuba check your PM's
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick..stillcasting 5/25/2009, 8:45 am

Damn I wish I had your energy!
You gotta post a pic of the yak before and after its' cleaned up,nice reclamation and doing your part to recycle. Memorial Day weekend LBI report 962367

Rick..stillcasting

Number of posts : 385

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeybonz 5/25/2009, 4:59 pm

nice scuba!!
mikeybonz
mikeybonz
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1048

Back to top Go down

Post  Val@Oceanside 5/26/2009, 4:17 pm

Andrew .....I sent those girls to give you a bit of an ego boost to continue fishing. I know how bad you needed to get a nice bass. haha
Val@Oceanside
Val@Oceanside
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 311

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 5/26/2009, 6:09 pm

Val@Oceanside wrote:Andrew .....I sent those girls to give you a bit of an ego boost to continue fishing. I know how bad you needed to get a nice bass. haha

Pssssssssssssssst hey val send one my way also thanks i have a bad feeling someone sprayed fish repellent on my gear and its working Memorial Day weekend LBI report 177925
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 5/26/2009, 6:44 pm

val dont worry about sending anyone smittys way he will probably be lost walking around in some neighborhood asking the residents wat street he is on........he sounded like the president of BENNY'S anon.....lol lol! lol! lol! lol! hi my name is smitty and i am a BENNY lol
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 5/26/2009, 6:48 pm

joesfishinproblem wrote:val dont worry about sending anyone smittys way he will probably be lost walking around in some neighborhood asking the residents wat street he is on........he sounded like the president of BENNY'S anon.....lol lol! lol! lol! lol! hi my name is smitty and i am a BENNY lol

lol! lol! thats to funny.....
hey i was only 5 blocks off from the street we parked on lol....
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 5/26/2009, 6:50 pm

after that walk i was joesbreathingproblem
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/26/2009, 6:52 pm

Val@Oceanside wrote:Andrew .....I sent those girls to give you a bit of an ego boost to continue fishing. I know how bad you needed to get a nice bass. haha

And I still havent gotten one... Im at my wits end.

I say F*** it, Im just gonna keep on fishing. Sooner or later its all gonna come together and Im gonna whack a big one.
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 5/26/2009, 6:56 pm

yo ak did u no that you are aloud to fish on the otherside of the inlet maybe even get crazy and venture up the parkway an exit or two lol :idea: :idea:
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Back to top Go down

Post  AKScuba 5/26/2009, 7:00 pm

joesfishinproblem wrote:yo ak did u no that you are aloud to fish on the otherside of the inlet maybe even get crazy and venture up the parkway an exit or two lol :idea: :idea:

Ohk wise guy.... Im a cheapskate and hate shelling out the extra 50 frickin cents to travel on that road. You north joyzey wackos and new yawkas always try to kill me too lol!

Im gonna try and come north this week, mind puttin me on some fish before I put my head through a wall? confused
AKScuba
AKScuba

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 5/26/2009, 7:08 pm

sure saturday i am going on the sbo drum trip but friday might be good
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Back to top Go down