Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shoal o gliding perch..

+2
handyman
jimfishUK
6 posters

Go down

shoal o gliding perch.. Empty shoal o gliding perch..

Post  jimfishUK 1/22/2014, 4:35 am

Saw some work done by that Finnish chap, 'Solarfall'.. well, what can you say? Amazing detail & life-like finish..
Anyway, no way am I going to be able to compete with that! Not sure I want to, they're too pretty to lose & the thought of what those snaggly teeth would do to them.. definately 'wall' plugs.
However, it gives you food for thought & I really liked a set of gliders he'd done in perch variations; thought.. 'they would be killers in my waters, too'.

So, I did my own version.
They are 3.5" long & go 1.25oz., so they sink at a nice rate (to drop in that dark 'fishy'-looking hole) but not too fast that they don't glide nicely to draw Mr. Pikey out on the chase & also, to help avoid the snags!
The weight is a single largish one, right under the chin, for the sink & draw action I am a big fan of (or rather.. the pike are big fans of, ha ha! That technique goes back hundreds of years, it's in all the old 'tomes'. They were catching pike like it when the first Pilgrims were sailing over in your direction & no doubt they used it to good effect to help gather food in those early, tough times, once they got there! Though always with natural baits & often using the 'gorge' technique, not many fish went back in those days. Thank heaven we just have to do it for sport these days.)
I have to say a thankyou to Frank too, who first put the idea of spraying up the hooks into my head; red ones, to suggest the lovely colourful fins, these fish have.

shoal o gliding perch.. 00512

shoal o gliding perch.. 00312

shoal o gliding perch.. 00610

Cheers, everybody,
Jim.

Sorry, just realised I've posted this in SALTWATER forum, when it should have been in the fresh.. oops.
jimfishUK
jimfishUK

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

shoal o gliding perch.. Empty Re: shoal o gliding perch..

Post  handyman 1/22/2014, 4:25 pm

hell they look good

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 1/23/2014, 10:59 am

I like those, nice paint work !! cheers cheers  You have come a long way in a short amount of time.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 1/25/2014, 1:48 am

Great looking paint. And those "uh oh" eyes.

Zmat

Number of posts : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Gremlin 1/26/2014, 6:21 pm

Great paint job on those. Really nice.
Gremlin
Gremlin
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 452

Back to top Go down

Post  jimfishUK 1/27/2014, 5:42 am

Thanks for the comments, Gents.
I am beginning to like these 'glider' type plugs. It is not a popular lure, here in the UK, where lipped diving plugs, poppers & walk-the-dogs are more favoured.
They do look fishy to me, though & swimming them in my little stream, they wiggle & wobble & hover in the current very enticingly, I think.
Yeah, Zmat, I like that eye-style, too.. we know what they're looking at!
So, I'll be doing some more of these. Fancy this perch pattern in a green version. Also, been sketching patterns for Roach, Dace, Pollock, Wrasse & will just have to do a baby Striper!
shoal o gliding perch.. 00614
Re the 'moon' thread, wonder if they'll work better if I make them on those days..?
jimfishUK
jimfishUK

Number of posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL 1/27/2014, 12:52 pm

Looking good  shoal o gliding perch.. 92223 
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down