Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What kind of line should I get......

+2
fishincrazy
SurfChick
6 posters

Go down

What kind of line should I get...... Empty What kind of line should I get......

Post  SurfChick 3/22/2009, 11:34 am

I just got a 9ft 7wt Redington Fly rod from a friend. Would like to know what type/kind of line should I get. :study:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Very Happy

Below is a pix of the rod.... Very Happy

What kind of line should I get...... 100_0099-1
SurfChick
SurfChick

Number of posts : 760

Back to top Go down

What kind of line should I get...... Empty Re: What kind of line should I get......

Post  fishincrazy 3/22/2009, 2:36 pm

SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!! cheers cheers

What kind of fishing do you plan on doing with it?????

FC cheers

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

What kind of line should I get...... Empty Re: What kind of line should I get......

Post  Oldsalts 3/22/2009, 3:28 pm

fishincrazy wrote:SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!! cheers cheers

What kind of fishing do you plan on doing with it?????

FC cheers

Duh!!!

I think she wants to Tuna fish with it.....LOL

Fresh water ...farm ponds
Oldsalts
Oldsalts

Number of posts : 2037

http://www.Smittyplugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  surffishn 3/22/2009, 5:51 pm

Looks like a very nice Redington rod.Saltwater version I believe because reel seat apears SS. As far a line there is no right single answer.The rule of thumb is you can go up one size or down one size.Most folks seem to go up one.Which means since it is a 7wt.You could use a 6,7,or 8wt. line.The other choices you need to know is floating.intermedit,or sinking. In most cases a floating line will do a lot because the leader will sink to the shallow depths.It all depends on what type of fishing you intend to do.

surffishn
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 3/22/2009, 5:54 pm

surffishn wrote:Looks like a very nice Redington rod.Saltwater version I believe because reel seat apears SS. As far a line there is no right single answer.The rule of thumb is you can go up one size or down one size.Most folks seem to go up one.Which means since it is a 7wt.You could use a 6,7,or 8wt. line.The other choices you need to know is floating.intermedit,or sinking. In most cases a floating line will do a lot because the leader will sink to the shallow depths.It all depends on what type of fishing you intend to do.

Oh Ed See somebody elese asked too!!!I ment if it was fresh or salt,river/pond/beach.The line choice can be very specific for fly fishin.

FC :affraid:

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Murphthesurf 4/1/2009, 3:14 pm

Andrea, Look in Cabelas catalog. They sell a line called a Multi-Tip. Thats all you do is change the tip. Floating, Slow sink, Fast sink. Very easy to change tips. Comes with loop to loop and a very nice case for the tips not in use. It's 89 bucks but when you consider how many line options you get in one. Instead of paying 70 bucks per line and not to mention the extra spools you will need. I think it's the way to go. Hope this helps.
Murphthesurf
Murphthesurf
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1567

Back to top Go down

Post  Marsh Mist 4/2/2009, 2:48 pm

I would go with a 6wt. floating foreward taper line. For trout fishing streams, small ponds and such it would work well. Learn how to tie up your own tapered leaders of diffrent lengths and tippet sizes and you should be all set.
Hank
Marsh Mist
Marsh Mist

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down