Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Striped Bass Regulation Change

5 posters

Go down

Possible Striped Bass Regulation Change Empty Possible Striped Bass Regulation Change

Post  Angler Paul 10/17/2009, 5:50 pm

As a representative of the NJBBA, I attended the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s Striped Bass Committee meeting on 10/15/09. In addition to the council members, several advisors from other larger organizations such as the JCAA and RFA were present. There were a lot of varying opinions but it seemed like the majority felt there was a need to protect the larger spawning sized stripers. There was also pretty strong sentiment favoring anglers being able to take home a smaller striper to eat.
There were mixed feeling as how to best protect our striper stocks. Our State could adopt more restrictive measures than the standard 2 fish at 28”. However, that would probably not sit well with the majority of anglers. Also, it was pointed our that if we were to adopt more restrictive regulations and at a later date the ASMFC were to mandate further restrictions we might be stuck with what we have or have to cut back even further.
As far as having a slot fish is concerned it could be approved but really would not do anything to conserve the breeding stock. Some scientists argue that it would since we would be keeping less large stripers but others argue that it would not since we would then be keeping far more small stripers that would never have the opportunity to grow to a large size.
The Division of Fish and Wildlife does not have the authority to set new regulations pertaining to stripers as it has to be done legislatively. However, the Division would make a recommendation if the vast majority of fishermen were in favor of a new regulation. Something that is controversial would probably not pass. Any new proposals would have to first be approved by the ASMFC.
It is my belief that the current 2 fish at 28” is favored by many fishermen but that allowing a slot fish is also favored by many as well. The Division presented us with an equivalency table which showed a number of different options. The one that generated the most interest was one that would allow us to keep one fish over 24” and another over 32”. This is not a slot limit – you would be able to keep two fish larger than 32” if you wanted but if you chose to do so you could keep one fish between 24” and 32” and another over 32”.
The bonus program was also discussed and could be altered at a later time so that if new regulations were passed it would not be so confusing. However, any changes in our regulations also might create problems for those who sail out of NJ and fish in the Delaware or Raritan Bay areas. If you are in other State waters you would have to abide by their regulations but once you return to NJ waters you would have to be in compliance with NJ regulations and vice versa. The Division would like feedback from fishermen, clubs and organizations on these possible proposals by the end of the month. Let me know your opinions and I will see that the Division receives them.
What do you prefer?
A – Leave the striper laws as they are now, 2 fish at 28” or greater
B – A slot fish perhaps 24-28” and one larger fish perhaps over 30”
C – One fish 24” and over and one fish 32” and over.

Paul Haertel

Angler Paul

Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Possible Striped Bass Regulation Change Empty Re: Possible Striped Bass Regulation Change

Post  REDBASS 10/17/2009, 7:18 pm

THE MARJORITY FELT THERE WAS A NEED TO PROCTECT THE LARGER SPAWNING SIZED STRIPERS. WITH OUT THE LARGE FEMALES THE BASS POUPLATION WILL FAIL. TOO MANY COW BASS ARE TAKEN EVERY YEAR. IT SEEMS LIKE THE NUMBER OF LARGE BASS GETS LESS AND LESS EVERY YEAR. SO IF THE MADE A SLOT FROM 28 TOO 36 INCHES.ONLY KEEPING ONE BASS PER DAY. SHOULD HELP THE POUPLATION RESTOCK IT SELF.BUT THIS WOULD HAVE TOO BE IN PLACE UP AND DOWN THE ENTIRE EASTERN SEABOARD. ALL STATES. SO THERE IS A EVEN PLAYING FEILD. IN TIME THIS WOULD REBUILD THE STOCK. I REMBER THE STRIPER YEARS. THEN THERE WAS NONE. IT WAS A SAD TIME. THEN THEY CLOSED THE BASS FOR YEARS. THEN THEY SAID WE WERE ONLY ALOUD 1 FISH AT 36 INCHES. IT WAS HARD TOO FIND A 36 INCH BASS. THEN WE SAW THE COME BACK. BASS WERE AROUND MORE AND MORE. I DONT WANT TOO SEE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN. ALSO MAKE THE OPENING OF THE BASS SEASON LATER IN THE YEAR. SO THEY HAVE A CHANCE TOO BREED. FOR MYSELF I CANT SEE TAKING A COW OUT OF THE WATER. SHE CAN PRODUCE SO MANY EGGS FOR THE GENRATION.
REDBASS
REDBASS
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2131

http://WWW.STRIPEDBASSOBSESSION.COM

Back to top Go down

Possible Striped Bass Regulation Change Empty Re: Possible Striped Bass Regulation Change

Post  Kevnmary 10/17/2009, 8:25 pm

Yeah we have to protect them so that Gill netter Salty Tours can stick ice picks in them when he throws them back.
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoScores 10/24/2009, 12:54 am

I'll vote for "C", since that's the choices we are offered. However, I would like to see an choice of 2 fish between 24" and 40" with an additional trophy tag.
RhinoScores
RhinoScores

Number of posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 10/24/2009, 9:28 am

I fish in the chesapeak bay and here's their reg's at least in MD waters.

2 @ 18"- 28" OR
1 @ 18" - 28" and 1 larger than 28"/person/day.

This runs from May 16, 2009 - Dec. 15, 2009

no night fishing on the bay

May not possess striped bass while fishing between 12:00 midnight and 5:00 a.m.
This is the only part I don't like.

But the size limits are right on,I'll tell you what 2 24" fish make for a nice dinner!!!!!!!

FC

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down