Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sharkin in the surf

+2
smitty
Freddy 4mcola
6 posters

Go down

sharkin in the surf Empty sharkin in the surf

Post  Freddy 4mcola 8/14/2009, 11:49 am

went sharkin in the surf thursday nite in SJ with a friend, had at least a dozen hook ups and a dozen break offs some of the fish felt pretty decent, all fish either broke line or bit thru it, using 80lb leader and 65lb braid, got 2 fish into the wash and had them break off or bite off, using bunker and croakers for bait, lots of fun but kind of frustrating that we could not actually land any, fished from 7pm to 1 am
Freddy 4mcola
Freddy 4mcola

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

sharkin in the surf Empty Re: sharkin in the surf

Post  smitty 8/14/2009, 5:10 pm

im going to give it a try again this weekend on lbi to see if i can hook in to one.......been thinking about it all day ...
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 8/14/2009, 5:32 pm

smitty wrote:im going to give it a try again this weekend on lbi to see if i can hook in to one.......been thinking about it all day ...

Do they carry sharks in the supermarkets down by you Smitty? :lol:
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  stilltryn 8/14/2009, 11:12 pm

i think ill be down late. 4ish. look out for silver exterra!! sharkin in the surf 962367
stilltryn
stilltryn

Number of posts : 305

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 8/14/2009, 11:53 pm

Freddy 4mcola wrote:went sharkin in the surf thursday nite in SJ with a friend, had at least a dozen hook ups and a dozen break offs some of the fish felt pretty decent, all fish either broke line or bit thru it, using 80lb leader and 65lb braid, got 2 fish into the wash and had them break off or bite off, using bunker and croakers for bait, lots of fun but kind of frustrating that we could not actually land any, fished from 7pm to 1 am

double up your braid with either a spider hitch or other strong knot....connect to at leat 80# leader with a uni to uni or alberto....run a fish finder through that and attach to a big strong swivel....the swivel should be attached to wire leader (i just tied three today that were 200# plus) to a 9/0 or bigger hook. make sure you have a reel capable of the runs that a 60 pound plus fish will take. if you are using mono or flouro 80# tied directly to the hook you might as well just give up now. good luck and post up. it's a blast! kev that is really mean what you said about smitty. he is going to skippers seafood on 72!
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  rebelmusicnp 8/14/2009, 11:54 pm

oh and the the length of line from leader to hook is around 8'. the tail will destroy your braid.
rebelmusicnp
rebelmusicnp

Number of posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 8/15/2009, 12:27 am

i made up some 4 foot leaders with 400# mono and 10/0 gami hooks gonna try this set up and see wat happens
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down