Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fly rod for Salt

4 posters

Go down

Fly rod for Salt Empty Fly rod for Salt

Post  Fishtale 3/4/2009, 10:07 pm

Went flyfishing about 25 yrs ago (fresh water). I would like to do it again, but this time in the salt. What rod/reel combo is decent for this. Not looking to break the bank either. I understand that fly fishing is expensive, but what you guys need to understand is that I am NOT expensive! Was looking at a few combos on e-bay in the 8wt range, what do you think??
Fishtale
Fishtale

Number of posts : 432

Back to top Go down

Fly rod for Salt Empty Re: Fly rod for Salt

Post  naspinsz 3/4/2009, 11:14 pm

look for an 8 or 9 wt...unfortunately a lot of the gear is $$..check around craigslist and ebay...an orvis clearwater rod doesnt put you too far out and is a great rod..
naspinsz
naspinsz

Number of posts : 514

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 3/4/2009, 11:20 pm

naspinsz wrote:look for an 8 or 9 wt...unfortunately a lot of the gear is $$..check around craigslist and ebay...an orvis clearwater rod doesnt put you too far out and is a great rod..
Found a few "begginer" models in some catalogs and e-bay in the $100 range. Even come spooled with line. Don't want to spend too much, because if I feel I don't like it anymore, I don't want to be out too much money. I figure between the combo and some flies, I could get away with about $150 altogether. Ok, now I know that I need minimum 8wt or a 9wt to get started. I would think floating line, correct?
Fishtale
Fishtale

Back to top Go down

Post  naspinsz 3/5/2009, 12:13 am

a lot of guys say to go with intermediate sinking line...just the way bass are they tend to be lower in the water column except for blitzes
naspinsz
naspinsz

Number of posts : 514

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 3/5/2009, 8:07 pm

naspinsz wrote:a lot of guys say to go with intermediate sinking line...just the way bass are they tend to be lower in the water column except for blitzes
Did not think of that. I figured the floater would be better because of the seaweed factor. You learn something new everday! Thanks...
Fishtale
Fishtale

Back to top Go down

Fly rod for Salt Empty Fly lines

Post  reelreaction 4/23/2009, 10:48 am

9ft 10wt - intermediate line works great in the surf and on the boat
10'6 ft 9wt - sinking line - works well off the boat

Unfortunately, alot of the SW FLy gear is expensive - St.Croix makes a decent FlyRod (Popovics signature series)

reelreaction

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 5/9/2009, 7:02 pm

Chris,i tried one of my freinds fly rod setup in the state/channel about 15 tears ago,not sure what WT is was but i caugh on real fast as i hook up with a sea robin.lol.yes i would like to try it again one day.. 8)
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishtale 5/10/2009, 7:45 pm

smokinjoe wrote:Chris,i tried one of my freinds fly rod setup in the state/channel about 15 tears ago,not sure what WT is was but i caugh on real fast as i hook up with a sea robin.lol.yes i would like to try it again one day.. 8)
With the way that free time is going, I'd be lucky to get to use spinning set up twice a week! I think my fly dream is not going to come to fruition, until I move to Florida, that is!
Fishtale
Fishtale

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke 5/12/2009, 11:16 am

Fishtale wrote:
smokinjoe wrote:Chris,i tried one of my freinds fly rod setup in the state/channel about 15 tears ago,not sure what WT is was but i caugh on real fast as i hook up with a sea robin.lol.yes i would like to try it again one day.. 8)
With the way that free time is going, I'd be lucky to get to use spinning set up twice a week! I think my fly dream is not going to come to fruition, until I move to Florida, that is!
Your thinking to make a move to the sunshine state?? :roll: to damm hot down there. :affraid:
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down