Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area

5 posters

Go down

East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area Empty East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area

Post  abakatone 7/16/2009, 5:40 pm

Kinda new to shore fishing or really fishing period. Been out on charters a handful of times

Can someone PM me with spots and what I might catch in the East Atlantic Beach/Long Beach area.

Need to get some sort of basic setup to get started and wanted to have abetter idea before I go.
abakatone
abakatone

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area Empty Re: East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area

Post  fishincrazy 7/16/2009, 10:57 pm

abakatone wrote:Kinda new to shore fishing or really fishing period. Been out on charters a handful of times

Can someone PM me with spots and what I might catch in the East Atlantic Beach/Long Beach area.

Need to get some sort of basic setup to get started and wanted to have abetter idea before I go.

I don't fish there but somebody here does.You should try to hook up with somebody to learn the ropes!!!Maybe somebody here would take you??If you where in NJ I'd take you.

FC

fishincrazy

Number of posts : 3911

http://www.stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area Empty Re: East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area

Post  Smoke 7/16/2009, 11:44 pm

abakatone wrote:Kinda new to shore fishing or really fishing period. Been out on charters a handful of times

i'm down east of you,fire island inlet..How do you like to fish bait or plugs?how much you looking to spend on a rod and reel?
Smoke
Smoke

Number of posts : 4877

Back to top Go down

Post  abakatone 7/17/2009, 9:46 am

bait or plug, ill rely on some good advice from anyone who has fished in my area.

and not looking to go crazy just yet. figured a decent combo maybe. under 100. then if i get hooked, i would spend a little more..
abakatone
abakatone

Back to top Go down

Post  abakatone 7/17/2009, 1:00 pm

abakatone
abakatone

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 7/17/2009, 4:03 pm

Yea that would work.You might have a little problem throwin lighter plugs like bombers,but it would be great for metals.For bait fishin will you be throwin snot??(clam) Or bunbker???Might be a little light for bunker.It's rated 1-5 oz.It's as good a place as any to start.I say go for it!!!!!

FC cheers

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  abakatone 7/17/2009, 4:10 pm

from what ive been reading, clam or squid is the pfd live bait for my area

im not sure about lures. a lot of info out there. half i dont even understand.

shop by me said they have been selling a lot of slug go's for striped and jerkbait for fluke...

im going to go there first and see what combos they got.
abakatone
abakatone

Back to top Go down

Post  fishincrazy 7/17/2009, 4:21 pm

Sounds like a plan!!!!Be careful of rods with a flimsey backbone.Ask your local tackle dealer about braided line!! The sluggos will need to be fished on jig heads or in tandem with a bucktail.Hopefully this new world of beach fishing grabs you,like it did me East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area 962367 Keep us posted on your progress!!!!

FC

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area Empty get a set up??

Post  fishincrazy 7/21/2009, 3:40 pm

Hey abakatone Di9d you get a set up yet????

FC

fishincrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  abakatone 7/27/2009, 12:54 pm

Just back from Mexico...Dam it was hot.

Got a setup before I left and went out for about 2 hours. And in that time I learned I really suck at casting and need a lot of practice. So I will be out there tonight trying to get my lure to go further than 15 yards in front of my face.

Talked to a few of some others I saw out fishing and they said they would give me a few pointers.

I ended up going with a ready to fish setup. Real simple sturdy and good for my first efforts.

I will let you know how it goes...
abakatone
abakatone

Back to top Go down

Post  abakatone 7/28/2009, 4:37 pm

abakatone
abakatone

Back to top Go down

Post  abakatone 8/3/2009, 1:53 pm

well low and behold....

im our casting and the P.O.S. snapped......

Went back to the store, the guy a pologized a million times and sold me an ugly stick with a discount...

anyone know of any surf casting clinics on long island?
abakatone
abakatone

Back to top Go down

Post  joesfishinproblem 8/3/2009, 6:24 pm

hey bud i dont know of any clinics but there a some guys here that would help u out or come to nj and i will take you out.....fish should be getting good here in a few weeks

jfp
joesfishinproblem
joesfishinproblem

Number of posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  abakatone 8/6/2009, 10:11 am

ok, so ive been going out just about every night. getting my casts out further and further wh is nice. still not getting the distance i would like. two questions:

how heavy a sinker should i be using?

the second is rig setup. I have been mainly using lures. Like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200361570612&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

do i need to put more weight on this? I set it up using the three way swivel but only attached the heavier lead. Is that right?

any ideas or suggestions? Please be as plain as possible. still getting the lingo down.

Going out saturday morning on the super hawk out of pt lookout. they supply everything but im wondering if i bring my rod so i can get some assistance there...

last thing, i think they screwed me again at the store. everything i read says to get minimum 9 foot rod for surf casting. Mine is def shorter. Maybe 6'6".
abakatone
abakatone

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 8/11/2009, 2:34 pm

9 ft is a good starting point 66 is to short for the surf
its good for the bay East Atlantic Beach/ Long beach Area 870783
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down