Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paint ?

4 posters

Go down

paint ? Empty paint ?

Post  fish factor 4/8/2009, 12:48 pm

i would like to know what type of paint to use on wood after its sealed
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

paint ? Empty Re: paint ?

Post  Kevnmary 4/8/2009, 1:31 pm

Prime them first. Then decide if you
are going to paint with rattle cans (spray paint) or an air brush. Air brush paint you can buy online from Dixie Art, I've bought alot of Createx. If you"re using spray paint you can use Krylon available at Home Depot
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  Minivin5 4/8/2009, 2:08 pm

fish factor wrote:i would like to know what type of paint to use on wood after its sealed

It all depends on what you like and how you are going to finish your plugs.

I personally use Bin laquer primer( it sticks to prop) then I use Rustoleum rattle cant paints in varies finishes. I top coat my plugs with Epoxy, so to get a nice adhesion buy a GREY 3M scrub pad and "lightly" buff your plugs before you apply Epoxy. By doing this is creates little scratches in the finish which will bond nicely to the Epoxy. The Grey pad allows you to use rattle can paints other than Matte or Flat finishes.

Some others here should chime in on their methods as they all vary greatly.

Just remember it is a fun and relaxing to build plugs.
Minivin5
Minivin5
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1449

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 4/8/2009, 2:50 pm

thanks guys
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 4/8/2009, 6:37 pm

FF - after sealing I use Bin's primer in the red can or if you prefer rustoleum sandable primer in rattle cans. After priming, when I was still using rattlecans, I preferred Valspar over the others, had less problems, rustoleum is ok also, more color choices. I did not like Krylon at all, due to the poor nozzle, to much over spray. I have since switched to an airbrush and will never go back to cans. After painting use either Devcon 2 ton or envirotex lite as your clear coat. Devcon is very nice, but has a very short working time, e-trx is also very good and has a much longer working time. Good luck and welcome to the madness.
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 4/8/2009, 10:28 pm

thanks for your help
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevnmary 4/8/2009, 11:20 pm

FJR wrote:FF - after sealing I use Bin's primer in the red can or if you prefer rustoleum sandable primer in rattle cans. After priming, when I was still using rattlecans, I preferred Valspar over the others, had less problems, rustoleum is ok also, more color choices. I did not like Krylon at all, due to the poor nozzle, to much over spray. I have since switched to an airbrush and will never go back to cans. After painting use either Devcon 2 ton or envirotex lite as your clear coat. Devcon is very nice, but has a very short working time, e-trx is also very good and has a much longer working time. Good luck and welcome to the madness.

Maybe thats why I hated rattlecans so much. Those nozzles on the Krylons were for the birds!
Kevnmary
Kevnmary

Number of posts : 2417

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down