Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many can you do at one time ?

+5
Muskyslayer96
FJR
Ed White
handyman
Charlie G.
9 posters

Go down

How many can you do at one time ? Empty How many can you do at one time ?

Post  Charlie G. 1/19/2013, 11:23 am

Well I was up at 5am Sleep and mixed some E-tex and was coating plugs by 6am Sleep
Can I ask you builders how many plugs can you get coated at one time ??
I had a tough time doing 4 plugs at one time, I had the first batch setting up after a short while.

I mixed a second batch of e-tex and finally got the last one coated. The first batch set up fast mad from me warming the bottles before mixing I believe, as it's done that before. But I got them all done and they looked good spinning after an hour and 1/2. No bubbles around the eyes and they came out nice and smooth after doing a little torching on the last plug.

I'm just wondering how many plugs you guys can do at one time ??

I'm done trying to due more then 3 plugs from now on.
I guess I'm to slow at getting the epoxy painted on the plugs. I also almost always add an ice glitter to the mix and I like the look as I feel it looks like glittering scales coming off a bait fish after an attack by feeding fish.

So how many do you builders do at one time ??
Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

How many can you do at one time ? Empty Re: How many can you do at one time ?

Post  handyman 1/19/2013, 8:07 pm

well charlie.......i have a 4 plug spinner and have no problems with the e-tex setting up never tried more then 4.......i dont warm the e-tex........i have done 8 plugs with e-tex and just hung them from a wire for ther 1st coat and then i will spin them for there 2nd coat and the measurement for the 8 was 3ml each of resin/hardner useing a saringe.......never had any problem popcorn

handyman
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1353

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed White 1/19/2013, 10:41 pm

I have a 6 position spinner and do batches of 6 whenever possible, I mix using a very scientific method which uses a plastic spoon and a plastic cup, like you would put ketchup in at a fast food place. 2 spoons from 1 bottle, 2 spoons from the other, mix well while also scraping the sides of the cup (very important) and let it settle a minute or 2 before coating. I like to use a fly tying vise to hold the plugs while I coat them, then transfer them to the spinner. I can get 6 done before the etex starts to thicken, usually....I find that if I add glitter into the etex, it shortens the working time a bit, so if I'm going to do that I wait till all the unglittered plugs are done first.

Ed White

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie G. 1/21/2013, 11:17 am

Damn Bruce you must have been all hyped up on Pepsi to get in 8 plugs at a time on 1 mix lol!
I have never tried hanging e-texed plugs as I'm to scared about runs. I'd be scared the epoxy would run or sag to the bottom of the hanging plug, unless you flip them. I have seen your plugs and they all have good finishes tho How many can you do at one time ? 92223

I think like you said Ed, I had warmed the epoxy which makes it cure faster and also put glitter into the epoxy mix which I've found sets the epoxy up faster also. I do take a lot of time cutting in around the lips, belly grommets and eyes so not so fast getting a plug done. Then I do the whole plug body. I started running out of epoxy on these 4 so I should have mixed up a larger batch to do them all. I have done 6 one time but didn't like doing it with that many.

I also spin my plugs in a heated spinner box with the heat lamp all the way up to see better while cutting in the details. Then turn the heat down to around 80deg. but for the coating it gets up around 100deg at times. I mixed 3ML and 3ML for this coating using syringes. your damn good Ed using spoons lol!

Charlie G.
Charlie G.

Number of posts : 1648

Back to top Go down

Post  FJR 1/21/2013, 8:50 pm

Never do more then 3 at a time, I use a seceret formula and that's the most I can do til it starts to set.
I measure simular to Ed's method, measuring spoons, this way I can measure what I need if only doing 1 plug. No spinner, hang and flip, got enough junk now no room for a spinner. lol!
FJR
FJR
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1577

Back to top Go down

Post  Muskyslayer96 1/24/2013, 8:58 pm

CG

How are you doing?
I do max of six at one time...more typically 4 and a small one. The most epoxy I mix at once is 24 ml, I spread it out on tinfoil lined plate, cover let rest 10 min, hit it with heat gun and get after it. Plugs spin heat at 80- 90 for few hours and then crank it to 100 or so. Glitter dust doesn't seem to adversley affect set up time.
Oh I heat my bottles in a warm water bath first as well. I think the vessel used to mix has a more profound effect on set up than the warming of the bottles?
For example a thin layer on a lined ceramic plate doesn't generate a great deal of heat and the reaction is controlled at a slower rate. But mixed in a cup and let sit the heat generated by the reaction will cause it set up faster........my observations Very Happy
I get a pot life of about 45 min the way I do it

Hope all is well

MS
Muskyslayer96
Muskyslayer96

Number of posts : 391

http://irishwhipesoxbaits.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Menacer 1/25/2013, 1:18 am

I get about 6-8 out of one mix. I mix the E-tex and then pour it out flat onto some aluminum foil so there is a big thin puddle(rub foil down with some alcohol first to clean) . That will help with extending the pot life. Another trick I do is to run a torch over the e-tex to "melt" it back down as it starts setting on me. Word of caution though, it does not take much heat before it burns. Also, after a few times of heating it up, it tends to take a bit of a different approach to paint on as the E-tex will flow extremely thin but tend to set even faster as it cools on the plug.

From what I understand you can also throw it in the freezer to keep it from setting if you need to walk away for some reason. Have yet to try this one.
Menacer
Menacer

Number of posts : 322

Back to top Go down

How many can you do at one time ? Empty how

Post  stripercrazy 1/27/2013, 3:16 pm

charlie how are you doing it? don't do one at a time...i use a kiddie paint brush and do around the eyes lip hookholes and tail then a foam brush and put the coat on the body then I go to the next(i hang them)after like 6 or more i go back and use a light and hairblower and finish them up some time if i do like 10(spooks/needle/poppers there less work) i have to use the hairblower to help spred the epoxy....but the first pass go for speed don't be sloppy but won't worry too much cheers

stripercrazy
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 1/28/2013, 4:37 pm

My Spinner holds 16 plugs, I like to fill it with 3 mixes. 6....5....and 5. I have done 8 at one sitting, if they are smaller plugs. Every thing has to be set up and ready to go once I start mixing.

Bluesfish How many can you do at one time ? 870783
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  basslover 3/20/2013, 9:21 pm

I do 10 at a time, but thats pushing it. By the time i get to the 10th one, the etex is getting a little sticky. But I manage to finish it, then help smooth it out with a propane torch on low.

basslover

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down