Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casting Help

+4
rider3
Captain Ahab
smitty
Zmat
8 posters

Go down

Casting Help Empty Casting Help

Post  Zmat 10/2/2012, 10:38 pm

I'm just trying to gauge what may be my problem before I just go out and buy another rod. I have a 10' Fenwick Saltstick rated 1/2 -4. My problem is casting distance. Anything under 2oz casts the same distance as my 8' TICA, and anything over 2 casts like a rainbow, with 20 extra yards of line out at the same distance. Is it maybe the action of the rod or my technique? Some help please.

Zmat

Number of posts : 287

Back to top Go down

Casting Help Empty Re: Casting Help

Post  smitty 10/2/2012, 10:46 pm

Whats the action on it sounds like its a light to med is it very whip???
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 10/2/2012, 10:54 pm

Has some flex to it being blended but recovers fast too. Can't figure it out.

Zmat

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Ahab 10/3/2012, 5:53 am

Try starting with more line out - on a 10' rod you want at least 5' of line out teh tip

Work your way up to hard tosses but developing a rhythm with slow and easy casts - you should get some distance out of that long light rod
Captain Ahab
Captain Ahab
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 403

http://UCHelpCenter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 10/3/2012, 10:24 pm

Captain Ahab wrote:Try starting with more line out - on a 10' rod you want at least 5' of line out teh tip

Work your way up to hard tosses but developing a rhythm with slow and easy casts - you should get some distance out of that long light rod

I was afraid someone would say to practice my fundamentals and figure it out. Very Happy

Zmat

Back to top Go down

Post  rider3 10/3/2012, 10:49 pm

every rod has a sweet spot when it comes to how much weight it can sling..............i have a 9' tsunami rated 1-4, but out of everything i throw it throws 1.5-2 the best. i can throw a 3oz t-hex, but it throws a 2oz t-hex better........Maybe you just need to find the sweet weight range....
rider3
rider3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post  basslover 10/3/2012, 11:36 pm

I second what rider3 said. It sounds like the lure rating of that rod is inaccurate. 2oz isn't enough to get it to load up properly. Your casting technique probably has nothing to do with it. But if you want to improve your casting, practice with a sinker by itself. The way I cast is called an "off the beach" cast. I let 5-6 feet of line out on the sand and then drag the rig across the sand. It helps load the rod up and cast much farther than a normal cast. When I do it, my feet stay planted. I only rotate my body. No need for a running start. :-)

basslover

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisL 10/3/2012, 11:54 pm

I think what Andy said is pretty on target
Plus different rods sometimes require a different casting style..

I have a couple 9ft Ticas, a 10.6 Mojo and an 11ft Tica. The mojo and larger tica both get used primarily for metal and plugs 2-4oz. You are welcome to try them out to help you trouble shoot or testdrive.

ChrisL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 316

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmat 10/4/2012, 1:07 am

As far as finding the sweet spot, I've tied a variety of bucktails and tins to it all the way to 4 oz and I still have that rainbow cast. Checked out a 9' airwave today that has me thinking Very Happy

Zmat

Back to top Go down

Post  rider3 10/4/2012, 8:05 am

My next purchas is gonna be a 10 or 11 foot airwave....
rider3
rider3
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffL 10/4/2012, 11:39 pm

Put some ass into Z and you be fine. The rainbow may be from letting the off your finger a split second to early.. I get the rainbow cast here and there..
JeffL
JeffL
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 914

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 10/5/2012, 1:35 pm

when i rainbow its due to letting go of the line too soon. im used to the bait rods which are much stiffer and come around faster. but i have a 9ft tica i use for plugging and i find myself letting go way too soon and it goes further up than out. try letting go later, it feels unnatural but it helps. i still will throw one in the water directly in front of me sometimes and turn all redfaced when im in a group. (the guys near me tend to give me more room after that) but the rod might be a fast taper with a noodley tip which mine is and you need to compensate for that with a later release. the heavier what your throwing the later the release. hope this helps.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down