Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bucktails...Painted vs unpainted heads

+6
CaptFrank
wetflyguy
surfstix1963
whitey
fish factor
Northshorescott
10 posters

Go down

Bucktails...Painted vs unpainted heads Empty Bucktails...Painted vs unpainted heads

Post  Northshorescott 12/28/2010, 12:02 pm

I have been tying my own bucktails for the last couple of years. I buy the heads already made, some are painted, some are not. I have noticed I catch just as many bass/blues with the unpainted head as the ones with paint. I believe the color of the hair is a lot more important than the head itself. Most important of all I believe that the presentation is 95% responsible for success.
Also, if anyone has particular color(s) they prefer for different patterns, day/night I would appreciate the feedback.

Northshorescott

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Bucktails...Painted vs unpainted heads Empty Re: Bucktails...Painted vs unpainted heads

Post  fish factor 12/28/2010, 12:09 pm

interesting red/white ready to fight also black at night
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Bucktails...Painted vs unpainted heads Empty Re: Bucktails...Painted vs unpainted heads

Post  whitey 12/28/2010, 10:50 pm

the old guy at CAPE COD CHARLIES ,,, told me not to waste my time painting them for the canal because they dont last long ...BUUUTTT on sand the paint stays for a bit ... you almost want to keep a can a paint in the car and hit it on the way out ???? i have had the same result [aint or no paint .... its the old rule ''' does it catch fish or fisherman ''''

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Post  surfstix1963 12/30/2010, 7:11 am

I think it's more the action of the hair, porkrind or another type of enticer and the bucktail bouncing off the bottom than the head being painted I don't really think it makes a difference.IMO

surfstix1963

Number of posts : 113

Back to top Go down

Post  wetflyguy 2/12/2011, 9:32 am

Same here , have caught just as well with the paint chipped off.

wet

wetflyguy

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptFrank 2/13/2011, 8:39 pm

Jigs are my go to thing in the back bays. I pour my own, and I leave 98% of them unpainted. Same when I make bucktails, unpainted, majority of the time. I think Surfstix nailed it, it has more to do with the action/presentation/profile than the actual color of the head. The head is usually such a small part, depending on the type you're throwing, I haven't seen where it makes a big difference. On the other hand, the type of hair used, color, amount, length, and such can play a huge factor in whethr or not you catch. I've had days where I start off with a 1/2 ounce bucktail and end up using an 1/8 ounce before I hook up. Or maybe start with yellow or black, but end up catching when I switch to white or a combo of some sort. You just never know. Every trip/situation can be different, it just pays to have an assortment and be willing to change up when needed. Hope this helps.
CaptFrank
CaptFrank

Number of posts : 230

http://www.brynnie-binshorefishing.com

Back to top Go down

Bucktails...Painted vs unpainted heads Empty ...

Post  tsm3404 2/14/2011, 1:04 am

I think profile and the way you present a lure are the two main triggering factors for stripers. I know guys that are die hards and they catch on anything but would also agree with most that it doesnt matter paint or not.
tsm3404
tsm3404

Number of posts : 70

Back to top Go down

Post  Down South 2/18/2011, 9:34 am

I like painted with eyes. I know a lot of the success with a jig is the presentation but I also believe that when trying to catch spooky fish or fishing in clear water a jig that is nicely painted with some realistic eyes can make a difference at times.

Dean

Down South

Number of posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Northshorescott 2/18/2011, 11:21 am

I agree in a back bay situation or shallow flats with gin clear water the every little detail counts.
There is nothing more frustrating than watching a bass follow your lure to your feet and turn away at the last moment.
I have found in a situation like a fishing the shallow sand flats of the Long Island Sound during a sand eel or spearing pattern, that burning the bucktail with a quicker than normal retrieve will inspired more strikes. This technique seems to work better during daylight hours. Not giving them enough time to decide if it is real and being in very shallow water puts the bucktail right in the line of sight. When bass respond to this technique they also tend to go after Mambo Minnows and Redfins fished just below the surface with a faster retrieve and a snap of the rod tip every couple of yards.

Concerning fishing heavier bucktails in an inlet situation, where you are presenting to a certain piece of structure or a rip in fast moving water, the paint on the head hardly ever makes a difference. The trailer in this situation I believe is more important along with the color of the hair.
Uncle Josh 240s rinds are my favorite. The red and white with the split tail. They come in different sizes, I usually carry various sizes in one jar in my bag to match the size of the bait present.

I have had good success with rubber eels fished as a trailer on my heavier bucktails in inlet situations, specially at night.

Most of the time I fish plain white bucktails with a little bit of flash tied in.
I like green and white bucktails in the spring and fall, particularly when they are on sand eels and spearing.
I also like bright pink, when the squid around it is my go to color.
Chartreuse and yellow also have there place and their time as well.
At night I like a purple bucktail with a white rind or a rubber eel on the back.
Black, wine red, or dark green all have served me well at night also.

I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my question. I am new to SBO and appreciate the information given.

Scott

Northshorescott

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  SurfPlug 2/19/2011, 2:30 pm

I have buckys with the paint chipped off that still catch fish. The hair and rind/grub for me catches the striper.

SurfPlug

Back to top Go down

Post  fish factor 2/20/2011, 7:00 pm

when in doubt white em out
fish factor
fish factor
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2092

Back to top Go down

Post  Down South 2/21/2011, 1:24 pm

I make some with some large oversized eyes. There have been times when those jigs caught better than others. I really like the bigeye's when jigging for flounder around the pillings of the CBBT.

Dean

Down South

Back to top Go down

Post  sjbkicker39 5/3/2011, 5:27 pm

all about white white and more white

sjbkicker39

Number of posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down