Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooks

+2
whitey
tsm3404
6 posters

Go down

Hooks  Empty Hooks

Post  tsm3404 12/20/2010, 1:41 pm

Im getting into plug building im starting with a few kits first(no space for a lathe). My Dad said if i get the hang of painting and finishing the plugs and enjoy that he would set up a lathe for me at my parents house. The question I have is do most use hook hangers and close eyed hooks or open?
tsm3404
tsm3404

Number of posts : 70

Back to top Go down

Hooks  Empty Re: Hooks

Post  whitey 12/20/2010, 3:02 pm

most of the plugs are through wired OLDSALTS had a video on this site how to make the tail wrap ... it takes some getting used to ... the belly hook is 2/0 or 3/0 treble depending on the size of lure but i like 3/0 even on the smaller plugs .. the tail hook is #9171ps VMC 5/0 siwash hook thats what most guys like its a single hook .... pm me colors your thinking about painting i know a guy that ties tail hooks and seeing your new i do them on the house happy b-day

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Post  fishing75 12/20/2010, 3:42 pm

whitey wrote:most of the plugs are through wired OLDSALTS had a video on this site how to make the tail wrap ... it takes some getting used to ... the belly hook is 2/0 or 3/0 treble depending on the size of lure but i like 3/0 even on the smaller plugs .. the tail hook is #9171ps VMC 5/0 siwash hook thats what most guys like its a single hook .... pm me colors your thinking about painting i know a guy that ties tail hooks and seeing your new i do them on the house happy b-day

Amazing people on this site. Very generous. I use the open eye siwash hooks made by vmc. the size of the hook depends on the size of the plug. I agree with with whitey, i mostly use the 2/0 or 3/0 belly treble hooks but the 3/0 seem to be what i use more of. I think you will really enjoy making the plugs. i started off with the kits and now use a lathe. watch out though. it gets addicting as hell and don't think that it will save you any money lol! because IT DOESN"T!!!!! Welcome to the site and insanity of plug building.

fishing75

Number of posts : 596

Back to top Go down

Post  fishing75 12/20/2010, 3:45 pm

By the way, where in PA do you live. i am from Pa also

fishing75

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 12/20/2010, 6:06 pm

whitey wrote:most of the plugs are through wired OLDSALTS had a video on this site how to make the tail wrap ... it takes some getting used to ... the belly hook is 2/0 or 3/0 treble depending on the size of lure but i like 3/0 even on the smaller plugs .. the tail hook is #9171ps VMC 5/0 siwash hook thats what most guys like its a single hook .... pm me colors your thinking about painting i know a guy that ties tail hooks and seeing your new i do them on the house happy b-day

way to go ....WHITEY....your a good man for sure.....NEED MORE JERKY .... lol! lol!
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  dozer 277 12/20/2010, 6:10 pm

i am no expert here but i use split rings and VMC hooks. they work well for me. i use 4/0 trebels and 5/0 tail hooks OR stevel sends me tail hooks that are amazing that i use. they are open end and are squeezed on the tail wrap.

dozer 277

Number of posts : 729

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluesfish 12/20/2010, 7:04 pm

I use VMC trebel which i cut, bend open put on the swivel then reclose. On the tail I use VMC open eye, tie on the bucktail, then crimp them closed.

Bluesfish Hooks  870783
Bluesfish
Bluesfish
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey 12/20/2010, 7:54 pm

dozer 277 wrote:i am no expert here but i use split rings and VMC hooks. they work well for me. i use 4/0 trebels and 5/0 tail hooks OR stevel sends me tail hooks that are amazing that i use. they are open end and are squeezed on the tail wrap.

thats why you keep loosing fish Hooks  56958

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey 12/20/2010, 9:33 pm

only joking i like pulling stevel's tail Hooks  622665

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 12/20/2010, 9:36 pm

whitey wrote:only joking i like pulling stevel's tail Hooks  622665

now just for making me sad... Hooks  177925...some holiday whitey home made jerky will make it all ok.... Embarassed Embarassed .... lol! lol!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU WHITEY AND THE FAMILY....
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Hooks  Empty Thanks

Post  tsm3404 12/21/2010, 12:48 am

Thanks guys for the help this site is awesome i posted this before work and already have lots of replys. Thank Whitey I might take you up on the offer have to think of what colors to paint first. I got 2 pencil kits a surfster and a Danny kit and some extra threw wire. I got an airbrush for xmas from my mom so im set for painting.
tsm3404
tsm3404

Back to top Go down

Hooks  Empty Fishing75

Post  tsm3404 12/21/2010, 12:49 am

Fishing75 im from delaware county but just recently moved to downingtown.
tsm3404
tsm3404

Back to top Go down

Post  fishing75 12/21/2010, 1:09 am

tsm3404 wrote: Fishing75 im from delaware county but just recently moved to downingtown.

ok i know where you are roughly, i live in york county. you will really enjoy the site. there is a ton of talent here in plug building and tying. don't be afraid to ask anything. Hooks  742713

fishing75

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey 12/21/2010, 8:37 am

tsm3404 dont be shy about asking i have about 300 5/0 siwash hooks sitting here Hooks  92223 maybe 250 im getting a lure from ETCH so i will need to hook him up ... pardon the pun Hooks  92223

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down