Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Striped Bass Obsession
Only members can access the forums so please join us become a member.....
Striped Bass Obsession
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎

+4
holymackeral
whitey
woodwker99
smitty
8 posters

Go down

Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  Empty Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎

Post  smitty 10/3/2010, 12:01 pm

Nothing like taking a good reel and ripping it apart.........drill paint and rebuild and this is what you have when its all done...

its all black with a bunch of pearl mixed in the top clear coat that gives it that blue look.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
smitty
smitty

Number of posts : 4700

http://stripedbassobsession.com

Back to top Go down

Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  Empty Van Penn / Penn Staal

Post  woodwker99 10/3/2010, 12:50 pm

Nice work. What size holes on the side? I'm doing something like it myself. have drilled the back and the spool, but still trying to decide what to do on the side of the cup(rotor). is the paint powder? over all really sweet.
woodwker99
woodwker99

Number of posts : 156

Back to top Go down

Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  Empty Re: Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎

Post  whitey 10/3/2010, 1:22 pm

nice wow

whitey
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  Empty Re: Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎

Post  holymackeral 10/3/2010, 2:01 pm

nice smitty.... i'm looking to do that to my reel.... once i can find a replacement reel i'll be good to go.... what kind of paint and sealer did you use?

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 10/3/2010, 2:13 pm

woodwker99 and mac its covered with a high gloss auto clear and flex with 3 coats when fully cure it will hold up as good if not better then powder coating........ popcorn
smitty
smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  stevel 10/3/2010, 6:32 pm

Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  92223
stevel
stevel
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 5196

Back to top Go down

Post  holymackeral 10/3/2010, 10:07 pm

a bit confused smitty....... not hard for me...... anyway, you used automotive paint? and than automotive clear coat? after seeing this and other reels...... i may just tear mine apart and paint it up... heck with fishing this fall...

holymackeral
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER
S.B.O DONATING MEMBER

Number of posts : 1383

Back to top Go down

Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  Empty Van Penn/ Penn Staal

Post  woodwker99 10/4/2010, 12:38 am

did you bake the base coats? the finish coats? I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I like what you did and am looking to finish what I've done to mine, and need to do it as cheep as possible. but don't want it to look it. Any help you can give me here is appreciated.
Thanks - Rich.
woodwker99
woodwker99

Number of posts : 156

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 10/4/2010, 7:41 am

yes with hot lights no oven
smitty
smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  rocstar21 10/4/2010, 5:24 pm

great job Boss! Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  92223

looks fantastic! Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  560155
rocstar21
rocstar21

Number of posts : 2971

Back to top Go down

Post  Hourman 10/7/2010, 7:22 pm

Nice work. I've checked out a thread on one of the other striper sites that shows dozens of different drilled out Penns and I'm not clear on the reason for the holes. Are they for lightening the weight, for drainage, or just for looks? I have a vintage 700 that needs restoration and I'm thinking that a quality paintjob it in the original green would look fine, but if there is a practical reason for drilling it I might choose that route. Any advise will be very welcome.

Hourman

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  smitty 10/7/2010, 8:09 pm

Hourman wrote:Nice work. I've checked out a thread on one of the other striper sites that shows dozens of different drilled out Penns and I'm not clear on the reason for the holes. Are they for lightening the weight, for drainage, or just for looks? I have a vintage 700 that needs restoration and I'm thinking that a quality paintjob it in the original green would look fine, but if there is a practical reason for drilling it I might choose that route. Any advise will be very welcome.

Hourman the reason and purpose is if you do a lot of surf fishing and run the risk of getting sand and water in your reel it will help to drain and allow the sand to be spun out...Its also a cheep way to have a reel that looks a bit like a van staal lol...
smitty
smitty

Back to top Go down

Post  naspinsz 10/8/2010, 12:49 am

wow. speechless! well done! Weekend project...... Van Penn/Penn Staal‎  560155

may have some work for you lol
naspinsz
naspinsz

Number of posts : 514

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down